ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newby saving a 172

Doogalman

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 sport
Hi everyone. Aquired or rather gifted a 172 sport from an old friend that had it in storage since 2008. It was previously his hack for the nurburging and I have memories of when I used to passenger with him in it in the early 2000's at the ring. At some point various bits and pieces have been stripped from the interior like his race seats as they ended up in another car.
It had been taken off the road and put away as it had damage to the front subframe from a knackered polybush. Anyway ive sorted that and also replaced the belts, pulleys, dephaser blah blah blah. New fluids and anything else under the bonnet that needed sorting. Also stripped front brakes, and bouncy stuff up front and all back on its wheels now and running.
So now its running I will be using it for some light track duties but I am now chipping away at other issues mainly electrical so will be asking for help along the way from you guys when I'm at a loss of how to progress with any problems.
I'll post some pics up later as I'm on my laptop and don't have pics to hand.

Roy

Stuff on my to do list:
Fix alternator as not charging.
Airbag delete how to?
Sort out why hazards on permanently?
Suss out a red led light on the console?
Strip and refurbish rear brakes.
Strengthen poorly executed rear cage mounts.
Tidy interior

Doogalman

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 sport
Oh yes, a little about me. I'm in Dover Kent, semi-retired in my early 60's. Ive recently moved back to the uk as I used to live and work in germany. I was a track instructor at Spa and Nurburgring for 12 years.
Spent many days sat in Clio's teaching them how to drive fast and stay safe on two of the worlds best tracks.
My background is mainly fast motorbikes but i've dabbled in cars for fun in the past but not for a long time. The last car I built was a TR8 so very different to a Clio. Spent many years playing in an Elise, but hadnt planned on a track type build but as it was offered to me it was silly not to go for it. Keeps me busy!

Doogalman

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 sport
Seconded, I'm keen to see what you've got 😁

You're only the second owner if your buddy was smashing it around circuits in the early noughties?
He was living out there due to work and as he was about 1 1/2 hr from the track he’d often be there but it was also his run about road car so nothing too radical done to it.
Mainly was adjustable koni all around, full cage, seats, harnesses and fire system.

Doogalman

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 sport
B4E7ACFA-0488-41BC-B84F-0B653A5DD782.jpeg

Doogalman

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 sport

Attachments

• 24531B05-AC98-493E-9644-0F86B1B41249.jpeg
    24531B05-AC98-493E-9644-0F86B1B41249.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • D15549D7-208D-4D00-846C-77E05ABA0BF7.jpeg
    D15549D7-208D-4D00-846C-77E05ABA0BF7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 1E2A8B78-AE3E-46C5-A258-781739AF92B4.jpeg
    1E2A8B78-AE3E-46C5-A258-781739AF92B4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • 29C16489-25E4-47B2-9CF9-0047BC544611.jpeg
    29C16489-25E4-47B2-9CF9-0047BC544611.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 47
  • 0A53B7BC-65C7-408D-93EE-6FF0ACFB5FB7.jpeg
    0A53B7BC-65C7-408D-93EE-6FF0ACFB5FB7.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 46

Doogalman

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 sport
My main things to sort are mostly here…

Attachments

• D7F38AA9-7A2A-4DA9-8D35-6EBBD3691488.jpg
    D7F38AA9-7A2A-4DA9-8D35-6EBBD3691488.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 45

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome, we do a yearly Clio festival thing, the last few years its been at Blyton but the most recent event was at Anglesey - its a brilliant weekend with good track sessions.

The cars have a white connector which lives under the fuse box, these often corrode and cause all kinds of fun electrical issues - well worth having it apart and giving it a good clean.

Ash007ks

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
Welcome,

Is the red light on the dash the stop light ??
For the Air bag delete you would either need to do a diode fitment or delete it via Renault Clip.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Oh yes, a little about me. I'm in Dover Kent, semi-retired in my early 60's. Ive recently moved back to the uk as I used to live and work in germany. I was a track instructor at Spa and Nurburgring for 12 years.
Spent many days sat in Clio's teaching them how to drive fast and stay safe on two of the worlds best tracks.
My background is mainly fast motorbikes but i've dabbled in cars for fun in the past but not for a long time. The last car I built was a TR8 so very different to a Clio. Spent many years playing in an Elise, but hadnt planned on a track type build but as it was offered to me it was silly not to go for it. Keeps me busy!

Hello Stranger 😘

Doogalman

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 sport
Welcome,

Is the red light on the dash the stop light ??
For the Air bag delete you would either need to do a diode fitment or delete it via Renault Clip.
At the moment I’ve ripped out the alarm that Renault fitted when it was imported. No wonder it was screwed as the batteries in it had rotted and the acid corroded the pcb. Easy enough to get rid of once I’d removed the cage enough to remove the dash top.
Have started to suss out the resistors, airbag light is still on but need to look at a wiring diagram and do more googling.
Not sure about the red light that says stop. Need to look into it.
The serv light I am taking a guess it needs clip or rs tuner to delete that.
Will see how far I get before trying to find anyone local as the cars not on the road yet so can’t drive it anywhere.

Doogalman

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 sport
I would have liked to have progressed more, but it’s cold outside and my fingers don’t like it so small steps.

Ash007ks

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
At the moment I’ve ripped out the alarm that Renault fitted when it was imported. No wonder it was screwed as the batteries in it had rotted and the acid corroded the pcb. Easy enough to get rid of once I’d removed the cage enough to remove the dash top.
Have started to suss out the resistors, airbag light is still on but need to look at a wiring diagram and do more googling.
Not sure about the red light that says stop. Need to look into it.
The serv light I am taking a guess it needs clip or rs tuner to delete that.
Will see how far I get before trying to find anyone local as the cars not on the road yet so can’t drive it anywhere.
The Service light is effectively telling you that your car has a fault and will pop up when there's an underlying fault , I.e Airbag.
Are you air bag deleting due to seats or steering wheel ? if none of these it will more often be the wiring under the seats. There's a few vids on YT but effectively you just do away with the black and grey blocks and solder the correct wires together. Some say you need to put a resistor in , however i didn't have have had no fault since soldering. If you've done away with the pretensioners and Airbag from the steering wheel due to after market wheel. the correct procedure will be to either buy a clip module ( Ive recently had to do this and created a thread for it) or do the resistor mod.
Hazards on perm have a look at the stalk module behind the wheel , these are prone for failing. Tell tail sign is usually that your indicators don't cancel though.

Doogalman

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 sport
The Service light is effectively telling you that your car has a fault and will pop up when there's an underlying fault , I.e Airbag.
Are you air bag deleting due to seats or steering wheel ? if none of these it will more often be the wiring under the seats. There's a few vids on YT but effectively you just do away with the black and grey blocks and solder the correct wires together. Some say you need to put a resistor in , however i didn't have have had no fault since soldering. If you've done away with the pretensioners and Airbag from the steering wheel due to after market wheel. the correct procedure will be to either buy a clip module ( Ive recently had to do this and created a thread for it) or do the resistor mod.
Hazards on perm have a look at the stalk module behind the wheel , these are prone for failing. Tell tail sign is usually that your indicators don't cancel though.
The car was stripped of road seats and associated bits and replaced with track seats a long time ago and driven irrespective of the airbag warning.
I acquired the car as pretty much a stripped out shell but with running gear.
I’ve since got a wiring diagram so will at least be able to identify the respective wires that still exist.
I’ve seen a few videos and guides and read much good stuff as well as contradicting things. Once things get a bit warmer than this weekend ( -4 degrees ) I’ll be back out there.
The hazards on was caused by the alarm. I’ve gutted that out and once I opened that up it was clear why it was fubbared. As all the inbuilt batteries had leaked and rotted other components. Never a fan of alarms so that’s gone in the bin.
With regard the Clio, I’d really like to avoid having to get hold of one as the plan is to try what I can and then once it’s roadworthy then see if I can get someone that knows and has clip to just do the delete for me. If there’s other issues and a diag is needed then I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.