ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adam's budget racing thread

WRX
Well as I can't do anything to the car yet, I decided to start weight saving in other areas ahem. Decided to do a mixture of jogging, cycling, swimming and a gym session. Did 2 miles jog/fast walk tonight. After not doing karate for about 3 years and not doing such an active job as I used to, I rapidly came to the conclusion that I need to put a lot of work in. Fortunately I'm quite motivated by adrenalin and a bit of pain.

182cup & 172 racecar
There'll be nothing left of you by the time the season starts.

saints-logo-1944-768446.jpg

WRX
Anyway at work parking is currently a major problem, plenty just leave their cars in what most reasonable people would say is ok but the jobsworth security have other ideas.
Got back to mine yesterday and saw this:

EBAFE0B0-5A9B-46C2-BF43-F28CF844C73C-1600-0000024AECFD509B_zps1e265981.jpg

So thought I'd do this:

C8204C3C-6A6F-4585-9364-DDB67C862F1F-1600-0000024B2035B121_zps1c58cdd2.jpg

Clio 197
Anyone know where this class is going yet?
I have a 197 built for the Michelin series, but did mallory French trophy, and well lets say it was not really competitve at all in that trim compaired to the 172/182's, it is a Standard road car, stripped out with parts needed for the Michelin series but engine wise, standard, which it has to be for the Michelin series.
I just want a series where it would be competitive, i am at the stage now where i dont know if to sell ithe 197 and buy a 172/182 which will be competitive or stick with it and run in the Michelin series next year and the French trophy if its for standard cars.
I just want something that will be more competitive?
(Ideal situation would be somebody buy my MX5 race car and then i can also buy a 172/182 ha ha and have both cars)

clio cup
It is definitely going ahead, the regs are being finalised as soon as the organiser can do them. Provisional were published and we moaned where appropriate lol.
I would join the TARC forum and you can keep up to date there.
http://www.trackattackraceclub.com/

What he said,

If the 197 has standard mcpherson struts (not coilovers) and polybushed (not bearings) and a standard engine then it will fit into the new regs, Oh and a normal diff,

If not, then sell the MX5 and invest some money into the 197, As Kev showed at Oulton Park, a 197 with mild mods is competetive.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Anyway at work parking is currently a major problem, plenty just leave their cars in what most reasonable people would say is ok but the jobsworth security have other ideas.
Got back to mine yesterday and saw this:

EBAFE0B0-5A9B-46C2-BF43-F28CF844C73C-1600-0000024AECFD509B_zps1e265981.jpg

So thought I'd do this:

C8204C3C-6A6F-4585-9364-DDB67C862F1F-1600-0000024B2035B121_zps1c58cdd2.jpg
FPMSL!!!!
Danny_172

Clio 197
What he said,

If the 197 has standard mcpherson struts (not coilovers) and polybushed (not bearings) and a standard engine then it will fit into the new regs, Oh and a normal diff,

If not, then sell the MX5 and invest some money into the 197, As Kev showed at Oulton Park, a 197 with mild mods is competetive.

Nope it has Bilstein and adjustable top mounts as per Micehlin regs, when i say uncompetitive i think i was between 2 -3 seconds slower than Tony in his 172, but would like to be a lot more competitive, what has Kev done to his 200 then???
I wish i could sell the MX5 so i could spend some money on the 197 but it seems there are lots for sale at the minute and selling them for nothing, i have spent thousand on it and its got newly built engine, new GAZ suspension and a brand new set up by Rob Boston so wont be giving it away.

182cup & 172 racecar
We had a final discussion about them at Donny, can't remember what we said about top mounts, but these are easily changed anyway.
If I remember it say's non adjustable struts, but springs free.

They will be out soon, trust me. We don't want to lose you.

clio cup
You'll need a few more horses and bigger balls to keep up with Tony!,, He's been pedalling cars for some time now,

I think the main problem you have in the french trophy is that your car is heavy, About 1200 KG wasnt it? If you could get it done a bit then if thats the wieght you need to run for Michelin series than just add wieght where you want it.

Clio 197
You'll need a few more horses and bigger balls to keep up with Tony!,, He's been pedalling cars for some time now,

I think the main problem you have in the french trophy is that your car is heavy, About 1200 KG wasnt it? If you could get it done a bit then if thats the wieght you need to run for Michelin series than just add wieght where you want it.

Ha ha ha, balls are big enough, I've race motocross all my life at a fairly high level, but you get older and don't bounce so good, so always liked cars so car racing it is, just need a faster or as you say lighter car, I have already started stripping it and got about another 20-30 kg off it, still got a/c on so that's more weight to come off, anyone on here removed it on a 197, and know what's needed?

clio cup
Sounds like a hell of alot of wieght can come off,

Start your onw project thread so we can keep track of it mate.

You may be better, as you say, going for the production class as you have similar power to weight to a 1*2 in that.

Problem you have is the shell for a mk3 is about 200kg heavier than a mk2 and basically you have the same engine so will always be at a disadvantage in the modified class. Unless there is a way to really get the weight down.

WRX
Well I had all good intentions of waiting until Autosport, to buy my suit. However I was searching and found YB's ebay shop had an OMP for £202 delivered.
Couldn't resist.

WRX
TARC Club membership and series registration completed and paid for tonight.
Another step closer.:approve:

been working my through this build tonight adam. nice car and good plans too. i also use federal rsr and find them grate value for money.i got them from my tyres. i have 3.5 degrees camber on my focus and the shoulder wear is nothing compared to my brothers civic with rsr and standard camber. i rotate them left to right and front to left. in the dry tread direction doesnt matter as far as i know and doesnt effect my lap times anyway. also shoulder wear can be even worse on standard bushes, not sure if yours are but the flex will put your front wheel into positive camber mid corner on standard setup and eat tyres. i mostly run llandow and it eats tyres so camber and poly bushes make a huge difference for me. keep up the good work

WRX
Welcome over from PF Steve, have we tempted you lol? I'm on Direzzas now for racing but appreciate the input. Not sure whether that is the case as it only seems to be with the Federals and I'm not alone. I haven't used the Dunlops in anger on the front yet but will look into it. I never suffered with it on road tyres, perhaps it could be the extra grip from the tyres that creates the give elsewhere? I know Chip seems to think extra camber helps reduce the wear. I'll be setting the camber bolts to max when racing too, as didn't go to max for mostly road use so I'll see then. Glad to see you over here mate.

Welcome over from PF Steve, have we tempted you lol? I'm on Direzzas now for racing but appreciate the input. Not sure whether that is the case as it only seems to be with the Federals and I'm not alone. I haven't used the Dunlops in anger on the front yet but will look into it. I never suffered with it on road tyres, perhaps it could be the extra grip from the tyres that creates the give elsewhere? I know Chip seems to think extra camber helps reduce the wear. I'll be setting the camber bolts to max when racing too, as didn't go to max for mostly road use so I'll see then. Glad to see you over here mate.

i really like clio sports but love my focus more lol. when i was searching for a track car project it was between a clio and a focus but focus was cheaper and iv had one for 8 yrs so knew them better.my brother has had 2 before his civic. a 182 and a 172 cup.he should have never sold the cup for a civic imo. how do you rate the dirrezzas to federal? iv got a used set of clio cup slicks to use this year so maybe they will feel more at home on a ford lol.