ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adam's budget racing thread

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Must've taken all of 20mins to swap out on that car Tony/Jay... Nothing on your belt run

172 Race Car
Yea but one died in quali so we fitted the spare and that gave up mid race. It got too low on battery voltage to run at full revs 3 laps from home when in 2nd place. limped home a gutted 6th

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've only ever really looked at the Odessey units (which are noticeably lighter) but are they *really* worth it when you can buy something like a Bosch S3/4 in 063 or smaller for £43 which in the above situation would surely have allowed you to push on for longer?

(Honest question BTW)

clio cup
Don't be deceived by size! that's what I tell the Mrs anyway,
Check the discharge rates as most race batteries will have a very slow discharge rate, as do leisure batteries, hint hint!
If you have an alternator die mid race you need a battery with the highest amps per hour discharge rate,

I'll say it again,, Discharge!

WRX
Don't be deceived by size! that's what I tell the Mrs anyway, Check the discharge rates as most race batteries will have a very slow discharge rate, as do leisure batteries, hint hint! If you have an alternator die mid race you need a battery with the highest amps per hour discharge rate, I'll say it again,, Discharge!

Are you saying you could put a different type of battery in, at your "leisure"?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I did wonder about the use of such leisurely batteries as we have a supplier local.

172 Race Car
I've only ever really looked at the Odessey units (which are noticeably lighter) but are they *really* worth it when you can buy something like a Bosch S3/4 in 063 or smaller for £43 which in the above situation would surely have allowed you to push on for longer?

(Honest question BTW)
Yes but we couldnt mount it inside the car easily then. They are also safer in a crash as no acid to spill. The alternator situation was cured by actually buying a decent genuine one that been on there for the last 3 years without issue. Not the crappy 'custom built' ones we did have

Don't be deceived by size! that's what I tell the Mrs anyway,
Check the discharge rates as most race batteries will have a very slow discharge rate, as do leisure batteries, hint hint!
If you have an alternator die mid race you need a battery with the highest amps per hour discharge rate,

I'll say it again,, Discharge!
We're using the Racing 30 now. Its a big old beast, has a CCA rating of something daft like 950amps but only weighs 10kgs

172 Race Car
I did wonder about the use of such leisurely batteries as we have a supplier local.
Rubbish for starting tho as they have no cranking amps. Designed to do a different job. Remember when we built the car we knew we would need to be rstarting the car when it was red hot in the pitlane. And possibly with fans and fuel pumps going and headlights on

WRX
Well todays Burpspeed trackday at Llandow will be interesting. New Pagid discs and pads fitted at BTM yesterday and a knackered TRE was replaced but Zoltan also spotted a dodgy driveshaft. Won't be many hard laps put on today.

WRX
Well not a lot done recently as I can't really do much more bar strip the front ready for the cage etc. As I am still using it as my daily, I want to keep it as comfortable as possible, so the remaining things won't be removed until November. All I have done is added a few stickers, started a website/blog elsewhere and had a bit of fun with my son Nath, I make an occasional appearance lol.
Helmet cam fitted to him, he's getting the idea now and getting quicker every time. This is about his fifth time there:

Last edited by a moderator:
  clio cup
How old is your son Adam? as I want my Boy to have a go on these and everywhere I've been they say he is too young!

He's done the electric karts but they are so slow he gets bored and tries picking his nose through the helmet while driving round.

WRX
Is this the same son who isnt allowed to come to trackdays with you? :S

The very same Jay:cool: Four years and he's splitting the cost of racing (just don't tell his mother)

How old is your son Adam? as I want my Boy to have a go on these and everywhere I've been they say he is too young!

He's done the electric karts but they are so slow he gets bored and tries picking his nose through the helmet while driving round.

He's 14 Dave but quite small as he's got his Mum's legs lol. They're quite lenient which is great IMO as he could follow me at first and get the idea. I leave him to it now as he's a bit like me and likes to have a bit of fun and not be as smooth as he should be.

clio cup
Ok, perhaps I'm being a bit keen then as my boy is 4,

Every day he asks, "Daddy can we go karting, the ones the big boys race" All the best with your boy mate and just make sure he doesn't get quicker than you!

WRX
I've extended the gap today, gained about a quarter of a second on my best time. So he's got to find over two seconds again.
Phew.

Clio 172
I knew you had to have a thread somewhere. In reference to the RSR's I have done a 14 trackdays on mine now, swapped front to back and left to right and they are still with about 2.5 mil on them. The shoulders do seem to be soft though.

182cup & 172 racecar
The draft regs have dropped through my letterbox this morning, not exactly what we had said, but not far off. I'll go through them later when I have more time. :)

WRX
I knew you had to have a thread somewhere. In reference to the RSR's I have done a 14 trackdays on mine now, swapped front to back and left to right and they are still with about 2.5 mil on them. The shoulders do seem to be soft though.

All the wear is 100% Mallory Andy. Bedford and Donington had very little wear at all.

WRX
never been, what was the outcome of the meeting there?

Awesome little track, love it. I didn't go to the meeting as it was held elsewhere, whilst I was at Mallory. The result of it are what Tony has received today though, which I eagerly await the details.

WRX
I was refering to the closing of Mallory due to noise restrictions.

Oh sorry, still very confusing. Whilst I love Mallory, they don't do themselves any favours IMO. Their press releases are very sketchy, almost politician like and when you delve a bit deeper they bend the truth to suit themselves. Worth looking at their Facebook page as the residents respond to their statements and the truth comes out a bit more. It isn't the residents' fault at all with the risk of closure. There has been a noise restriction in place for years that has been ignored in recent years and the management have essentially pushed it too far now. The residents were willing to accept it, in the past as the previous management were willing to listen to the local community but now they have been pushed too far. There has been an appeal and an agreement appears to have been reached that is far better than other tracks have. It isn't the NIMBYs that some people would have you believe at all, the vast majority of locals want the track to stay open but are sick of the current management's ways. I have to say that I agree with the locals and the "Don't live by a race track" attitude doesn't wash with me anymore. That was the management's attitude basically and it has finally got them into the mess that they are. They cut down trees that were helping with the noise, to make a MotoX track that is no longer used. They really haven't helped themselves, yet make out that they are the victims.

A shed
All the wear is 100% Mallory Andy. Bedford and Donington had very little wear at all.

Just in reference to this Ive just had to remove a set of RSR's as the front outside tyre wore from new to the wear markers at donington. the others havent worn that much but havent faired well :(

From speaking to places about them it seems there are two factories producing RSR's and one factory produces significantly better tyres than the other. I had the cheaper ones from MyTyres, where as friends have them from MOTMotorsport and theirs have been fine. I spoke to RareRims and their supplier is the one that says there are two factories and that the quality of the tyre is different between the two. They also say theirs are the better oens but whether or not that can be believed is another matter.

182cup & 172 racecar
Oh sorry, still very confusing. Whilst I love Mallory, they don't do themselves any favours IMO. Their press releases are very sketchy, almost politician like and when you delve a bit deeper they bend the truth to suit themselves. Worth looking at their Facebook page as the residents respond to their statements and the truth comes out a bit more. It isn't the residents' fault at all with the risk of closure. There has been a noise restriction in place for years that has been ignored in recent years and the management have essentially pushed it too far now. The residents were willing to accept it, in the past as the previous management were willing to listen to the local community but now they have been pushed too far. There has been an appeal and an agreement appears to have been reached that is far better than other tracks have. It isn't the NIMBYs that some people would have you believe at all, the vast majority of locals want the track to stay open but are sick of the current management's ways. I have to say that I agree with the locals and the "Don't live by a race track" attitude doesn't wash with me anymore. That was the management's attitude basically and it has finally got them into the mess that they are. They cut down trees that were helping with the noise, to make a MotoX track that is no longer used. They really haven't helped themselves, yet make out that they are the victims.

I like the look of the proposed new layout though.

WRX
Just in reference to this Ive just had to remove a set of RSR's as the front outside tyre wore from new to the wear markers at donington. the others havent worn that much but havent faired well :(

From speaking to places about them it seems there are two factories producing RSR's and one factory produces significantly better tyres than the other. I had the cheaper ones from MyTyres, where as friends have them from MOTMotorsport and theirs have been fine. I spoke to RareRims and their supplier is the one that says there are two factories and that the quality of the tyre is different between the two. They also say theirs are the better oens but whether or not that can be believed is another matter.
Would be nice to get some clarification.

clio cup
I've just seen the proposed Mallory track layout and it claims it will reduce noise levels! How? Unless they remove the old hairpin and don't go up that far north.

My mind boggles with these guys,

WRX
I believe that Shaw's hairpin is the area that causes the most problems, as it's the nearest to the village. Plus they're under hardest acceleration there. If it goes ahead then it will be a shame to lose it but better that, than the whole track.

clio cup
Great seat Adam and fantastic value for money, That's what I have in my car, you could of had a sit in if you'd said

Nice meeting you, however brief it was

WRX
Great seat Adam and fantastic value for money, That's what I have in my car, you could of had a sit in if you'd said

Nice meeting you, however brief it was

Nice meeting you too mate, plenty of time in the future.
Thanks for the offer but I've sat in Tony's before and had another quick test and fart in it yesterday to make sure.

WRX
Anyone at Donington next week end, watching the Formula Jedis, cheer for my cousin please lol.
jedi_gittings_01.jpg

WRX
Seat delivered yesterday. Really happy with it and saved a little compared to direct off ebay. (Even though I get the impression it was sent direct from rallyshop)