ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Young 172/182 owners question

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I think a 17 year old owning a clio sport is a real bad idea, im 24 and I think im too young!

im 21 - £950 insurance on my 182, im the policy holder but the car is in my dads name - wasnt a problem, and iv got a roll cage and some other mods on there.

was stupid money before I turned 21 and just wanst worth it + I probably would have killed myself at 17 in a cliosport

H86

black 172
think your a bit young to be driving a 172 iv been driving four years and have progressed from a 1.2 corsa to a 1.8 astra to my 172 and i have had a few scary moments in it were iv forgotten just how flamin quick it is!

however its up to you what you do! cant remeber who im insured with exactly lol picked the cheapest policy that had what i needed from confused.com not sure of the actual price but monthly im paying 59quid after a 120 quid deposit im 21 with 3years ncb ( yes i managed to crash my first car!)
so your best bet is to shop around online try confused.com and money supermarket.

i have a feeling it may be rather expensive though and to be honest your better off getting your own policy as soon as poss

I say get it under your dads name and just go for it man. when you die bagsy the alloys and steering wheel. oh, get life insurance too, that way your rents can give you a nice send off... another virgin death...

Last edited:
  Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Im not sure if this has been mentioned but what your proposing is classed as fronting and is not recognised as insurance, mainly because your falsely claiming that your dad is the owner and main driver of the vehicle to achieve a lower insurnace premium in return. Its fraud. You simply cannot insure the car unless you are willing to put it under your name (registered keeper and main driver) in which case 99% of insurers will decline you insurance, and if any insurance company is willing to cover you, expect in excess of £5000 for insurance easily with heavy excesses.

RS 172
^ Most people do it with first cars. Its not as bigger problem as you make out. The insurance companies are well aware of it, but its a loop hole and there isnt really much they can do.

My car is owned by me dad on the books, and we've been through the claims process with direct line and they didnt care at all. If it was that bad, nobody would be able to do it at all from the off. If Direct Line really cared, they would have thought it very odd to begin with that my dad, having owned M6's, M3's and big jeeps suddenly buys a 1.2 Clio with a 17 year old named driver.

However, it has been said already, and its not what the original poster was looking to debate.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Caeteez, it is a pretty big problem to be fair, people who shouldnt/cant get insured on performance cars are, as a result people who are not (in the eyes of the insurance industry) trustworthy with certain cars, are driving them and as someone mentioned earlier ploughing them into trees.

I worked for an insurance company and when quotes were given there were procedures to look for fronting, this has only just come into force as there are more and more people going through this "loophole" which isn't actually a loophole because the policy holder doesnt actually hold valid insurance anyway but yet still pays the premium.

In your case, if your "Dads" clio was to be crashed by you, the insurance company would claim fronting and while i admit it is difficult for them to prove that you were not the main driver its a risk that isnt really worth taking.

No matter how you look at it, its not valid insurance, it makes the roads unsafe and the car in question will undoubtably end up on a scrap heap.

Ultra Red Megane 225
get a 1.8 16v or something that you can get used to the power in.

what he said.

i stepped up from a Corsa gsi (approx 125bhp) to a 172 cup

insurance is the major killer, I found Adrian Flux to be cheapest for me.

Good luck with it.

Had my 172 at 18...Paid 1500 for insurance, then 1100, then 791. All admiral.

ive heard there a good place to go for insurance. If you dont mind me asking was it your own policy, as the insurance cost seems resonable there.

P

pete.grant

...It was just the thought that if i could be able to insure one then i might as well get one in a few months...

Cheers for the replies though guys.

I understand how you want to get a better car but that doesn't strike me as a particularly good reason to get one! Have you also considered running costs?

...It was just the thought that if i could be able to insure one then i might as well get one in a few months...

Cheers for the replies though guys.

I understand how you want to get a better car but that doesn't strike me as a particularly good reason to get one! Have you also considered running costs?

Thats what this thread was for really, to look at the costs of running/having on and see if it is manageable for me to do. And well that isnt my only reason, but in life why would you own somthing when you can afford to own somthign better. You wouldnt as it isnt logicl when you have the money. Except if your saving for somthing better, but then again you want somthing better than what you have.

RS 172
Caeteez, it is a pretty big problem to be fair, people who shouldnt/cant get insured on performance cars are, as a result people who are not (in the eyes of the insurance industry) trustworthy with certain cars, are driving them and as someone mentioned earlier ploughing them into trees.

I worked for an insurance company and when quotes were given there were procedures to look for fronting, this has only just come into force as there are more and more people going through this "loophole" which isn't actually a loophole because the policy holder doesnt actually hold valid insurance anyway but yet still pays the premium.

In your case, if your "Dads" clio was to be crashed by you, the insurance company would claim fronting and while i admit it is difficult for them to prove that you were not the main driver its a risk that isnt really worth taking.

No matter how you look at it, its not valid insurance, it makes the roads unsafe and the car in question will undoubtably end up on a scrap heap.

Yeah fair points mate, I dont really know how the industry works so I was just giving my overview on the situation.

But even if I do crash the car, being a named driver on the policy entitles me to that right doesnt it? I thought if your on the policy at all, named or main, you are insured to use that car and if a crash happens, your still in the right.

And yeah, with performance cars it is an issue, a 1*2 at 17 would be a handful, and not the best of ideas. Think everyone on here has expressed that view lol. Cheers for replying and clearing some stuff up anyway anyway.

H86

black 172
but if you have the money why dont you get it insured in your name that way you can start earning your own ncb which will lower your insurance a hell of a lot even with just 1 year...

'02 172 Cup
I turned 20 on the 15th Dec. got my 172 cup in november. insurance was £2050 fully comp in my own name with 3 points. and only a £250 excess.

i did a bit of hunting around for it but still not sure - anyone of a similar age got it cheaper? or more?

also i have to say, i have a 1.5 Diesel 106 before this (0-60 in 18secs)
and the 172 is a massive step up. things like lift off oversteer, and understeer when steering and accelerating in the wet. you just have to be relatively mature with it as well as competent i suppose!

Dan

evo VI GSR
I dont know how much you (or your dad) are willing to pay for the insurance, but to give you an idea, im 21 payin £1600 fully comp :(

but worth every penny :eek:)

thats bit steep im 21 on a 182 its £640

but you shuld look to progress through cars in speed terms sayin that my 1st car was a 1.6 but i jus wasnt a tit driving fast everywhere!

RS 172
Part of the fun of being a first time driver is the progression IMO. I want to feel that kicking excitement when I first get into a fast car in one or two years time, and the only way to ensure that happens is to have a slow car to start with :D.

clio 172 exclusive n
Im not sure if this has been mentioned but what your proposing is classed as fronting and is not recognised as insurance, mainly because your falsely claiming that your dad is the owner and main driver of the vehicle to achieve a lower insurnace premium in return. Its fraud. You simply cannot insure the car unless you are willing to put it under your name (registered keeper and main driver) in which case 99% of insurers will decline you insurance, and if any insurance company is willing to cover you, expect in excess of £5000 for insurance easily with heavy excesses.

it is recognised as insurance mate -- get your dad to put the car in his name--you as a registered driver--hey presto your insured and it will be at leat 50% cheaper then if you done it in your own name-- if you get pulled just say its your dads car and your on his policy as a named driver,simple--

you can even earn no claims bonus like this through some companys

if youre lucky enough to have sweet parents thatll let you do it then why not???

i think everyone should give the guy a break, clio rs are fast and can be dangerous but so can any car thats being abused.

i think some people just wish they were in your shoes

just drive safely if you do it--thats the main thing-- your not the only one on the road and others can be hurt and it only takes a second to loose control speacially in a powerfull car:) have a great new year and good luck with things :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Aye in my name...I had my 1.2 in my old man's name. But when i wrapped it, the insurance nearly didn't pay out.

Ignore the bitter w*****s on here, gettin a 172 at 18 gives you a far greater repect for driving and the power under your right foot. then again i've been racing since i was 7...So no biggy.

Admiral are my current insurers on the vee, at 21 it was 971 i think, 804 next yr. Was 300 for the willy before i sold it.

Aye in my name...I had my 1.2 in my old man's name. But when i wrapped it, the insurance nearly didn't pay out.

Ignore the bitter w**kers on here, gettin a 172 at 18 gives you a far greater repect for driving and the power under your right foot. then again i've been racing since i was 7...So no biggy.

Admiral are my current insurers on the vee, at 21 it was 971 i think, 804 next yr. Was 300 for the willy before i sold it.

Ah okay, yeah wouldnt mind a vee myself at 21 eaither. Like you ive been driving before i was 17 and have had motobikes since i was a little boy so an engine isnt anything new to me, just drivng a car on the road.

And yeah if i can do it i will as there so much better cars and would be a lot nicer to have and drive. Admiral/bell/elephat are the place im going to go as ive heard testiments from them by several people on here saying how good they were for younger drivers and things.

Cheers to anyone who responded as all of your opinions have been helpfull to gain a better picture of what owning a 1*2 would be like cost wise.

cock mobile.
What's with all the tw*tish replies in this thread, frankly I think most of you lot are just jealous that Skinny_J is considering this car at 17 and you couldn't afford it.

Frankly I hope you get one just to annoy them further; insurance will be pricey whichever way you do it, but good luck I say!!

172 cup
What's with all the tw*tish replies in this thread, frankly I think most of you lot are just jealous that Skinny_J is considering this car at 17 and you couldn't afford it.

Frankly I hope you get one just to annoy them further; insurance will be pricey whichever way you do it, but good luck I say!!

Jealous? I had a brand new corsa 1.2 16v when I was 17 (Paid for by myself!). I went down the sensible route of getting insured on a car I could afford.

Nothing to do with jealousy what so ever. Having a fast car when you have just started driving is just stupid. FACT!

cock mobile.

Jealous? I had a brand new corsa 1.2 16v when I was 17 (Paid for by myself!). I went down the sensible route of getting insured on a car I could afford.

Nothing to do with jealousy what so ever. Having a fast car when you have just started driving is just stupid. FACT!

Jealousy, FACT.

Im looking at the posability of getting a 172 or 182 not sure which yet, need to have a drive in the 172 cup and see what i think.

But to the point, who are you insured with and what insurers would you reccomend looking at. I am 17, it will be my dads policy with me as a named driver. (i dont care of you opinions on this being "illegal" so dont mention them). Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

the cars are quite fast...but the running costs are very high...

when you add the monthly running costs to the amount of money which you will be paying (insurance)...you will end up being broke...

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
i think at 17 or 18 the running cost alone for someo ne in schooling is too high, with spiraling petrol ( and you need to use premium petrol the £1.10 stuff ins a 1*2 apprently)
even under your dad you looking £800-900 i was £700 in a 1.6 laguna sport which was a group 12 under my dad, also in the first year new drivers do more miles even if they are only insured for 8k they end up doing more like 12 because of the novilty of driving and showing off. 1*2s get only about 35mpg, and because of how you are taught to drive its less, they teach you a verry innoficient style of driving, so perhaps 30mg, i get 43mg out my 1.2 the english get more for some reason about 46-48 and i'm on about £25 a week about £1300 a year, the laguna did about the same as a 1*2 and i speant about £1800 on fuel int he first year, your tax is about £215 a year, then you will have servicing which is high on a 2l and is more frequent than on the non RS models, tyres are also expensive, because of the profile and if you have a frisky car like a 1*2 you need decent rubber so probs about £70-£80 a corner.
when you look at them individually the differences between a 182 and a 1.2 arent much but when you look at them on the whole the 182 is a much heavier investment, and dont even dream of modding it because thats just asking for trouble.

Elise S1 B&C 140
I think fair play to you mate I had my first 205 1.9 Gti at 17 (although didnt put it on the road till my 18th birthday) It had webbers, cams, exhaust, the lot.

If you can afford it then go for it, just make sure you weigh up all the costs, petrol (it drinks it) i get about 29MPG on average. tyres, servicing, tax, general repairs (bits are expensive).

It is alot of power but if you respect that then it will respect you. Most people on here have a downer on young folk getting nice toys, as said previously its jelousy that the couldnt afford one at your age.

Go for it, but be sensible.;)

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Im doing the same as you mate, im a named driver on my car but its my car:eek:
We have always been with elephant, and have told them from the start its my car in my name, and my g/f would be the main insurer as she drives it to uni and back and i am a named as i have a works truck and only drive it at night or weekend, they were completely fine with that

anyways im fully comp at 19 with my girlfriend being 22 and were £1400

good luck with it;)

Trophy #240/R33 GTST
Hey mate!
I know exactly how you feel! when i passed my test all i wanted was a vee!!! but knew that was out the question! So i went and got myself a mini cooper a took the hit with admiral on their bonus accelerator. payed 1000 first. Had my mini for nearly 2 years and have just got rid of him for my 1.6. Will (fingers crossed) have 3 yrs ncb and be 21 then the world is your oyster....so to speak. Now i tell you all this for a few reasons. I took a friends advice to do this when i was your age rather than doing what you want to do....i i could have like you...and i now have a nice selection of cars open to me. I have 3 years driving experience 2 in a very unforgiving mini a feel far more comfortable on the road. You may think 6 months is enough time buts its really not. A fair few of my mates have had crashes but luckly in cars that don't matter. I have just moved into my 1.6 and the extra power is great over my mini. I love it to bits but the 3 years of driving helped me to build my confidence to anticipate other people. All this takes time. Mate stick with what you have got or just get a little car and build up your ncb..keep your nose clean and in 3 years time you can laugh at all your mates while your have a mint 197 =). Seriously tho it will be worth the wait. Oh yea and another thing 17 yr old + CS + Police every other journey you will find you have "a break light out".... If you go for it good luck...i know how bad you want it!!! I was there but it will be worth the wait! i can't wait to get mine!

Ed

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
oh yeah and pass pluss, is always a good equaliser, took, by brothers insurance down from 2k to 1400, for his 1.2 he just turned been driving since june and a qualified bus driver, no joke he was driving the buses sucha s the 267 and 256 in glasgow city centre befor he had even driven a car on the road him self lol.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^Some arn't interested in it..Although i've heard other insurers treating it like a yrs NCB,

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
got mine when i was 17, drove it for 2 years now im 19, named driver tpft 2300 when i was 17 elephant. cheaper for u cause im live in a sh1thole

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
tbh your not more likely to get pulled by the police in a 172 than you are in a 1.2, its not like its a subaru or something that sticks out, most people cant even tell the difference. i had mine for 5 months and my mum didnt even question it untill she had a shot of it because it felt powerfull and "my powersteering wasnt working" lol was only then she found out it was a 2.0!