ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Young 172/182 owners question

Im looking at the posability of getting a 172 or 182 not sure which yet, need to have a drive in the 172 cup and see what i think.

But to the point, who are you insured with and what insurers would you reccomend looking at. I am 17, it will be my dads policy with me as a named driver. (i dont care of you opinions on this being "illegal" so dont mention them). Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

martynrg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I dont know how much you (or your dad) are willing to pay for the insurance, but to give you an idea, im 21 payin £1600 fully comp :(

but worth every penny :eek:)

if you havent got anything nice to say, dont post in my thread

And cheers to people who replyed, id be paying the money. Who are you insured with, ive been told bell/elephant are a good place to start. As are adrian flux, any more suggestions?

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
you are driving a 1.6 as your first car isnt that quick enough? :O

/carl

RS 172
I think 19 is the earliest insurance becomes slightly affordable on these. But still, if you've got the money I dont see why you shouldnt. Be expecting quotes of £3k+ though, maybe just under if your lucky enough to find one.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Bell are good for drivers with a low (or no) NCD.

But if you're insuring it as your dad's, he'll need to be the registered keeper (or you'll get a whole heap more trouble) and I'm guessing he'll have NCD. So either way it will probably still cost a bit of money.

Will probably bite you on the arse mate. If you can't even drive yet and your first car is going to be a 170bhp FWD hatch, it'll end up 1 of 2 ways.

1: You'll take responsibility seriously, not do anything silly and maybe not have a prang (why would you want to pay over the odds for a 170bhp car if you're not going to drive it though?)

2: You'll drive it beyond your limit (something a new driver could do in a 1.0 Corsa) and risk smashing it to bits.

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
Well if you really wanna do this it'll be bloody expensive, but direct line are worth a look, as I'm with them and they were the cheapest for me (22yo). Also try the comparison sites, confused.com and gocompare.com. Quinn direct are cheap too, if they can actually quote you. But if you wanna do it this way you might as well not buy insurance at all. Your choice of course, it's all up to you.

D

deadonkey

to be honest you are better off waiting till insurance becomes affordable.
Its just wasted cash that you could be spending on the car in a few years.

Say you do get insurance at £3k then the year after it is £2.5k or so
if you add it up thats £5.5k but if you waited a year you could spend an extra five grand on a car.
I have made the same mistake. fair enough i never had a 182 but having my 1.2 which when I was 17 was brand new insurance cost me a fortune. I would have been better getting an older car.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Thanks

you are driving a 1.6 as your first car isnt that quick enough? :O

/carl

Its fast, but if i can afford to insure a 172/182 then why not, i might as well.

but you cant afford it can you... hense going on your dads policy.

sorry it just winds me up, actually im not sorry. there is a reason why insurance is expensive on high performance cars ....

fair play to you if you bight the bullet and go on your own policy, no bad feelings then.

This remind sme of clio-gib, was exactly the same as you, think his 172 lasted a whole 2 months before he crashed into someone.

Thanks

Its fast, but if i can afford to insure a 172/182 then why not, i might as well.

sorry it just winds me up, actually im not sorry. there is a reason why insurance is expensive on high performance cars ....

fair play to you if you bight the bullet and go on your own policy, no bad feelings then.

Well said Taylor.

Cheers for the replies. Ive got a 1.6 at the moment and i was planing on keeping that for a while 6 months or so. It was just the thought that if i could be able to insure one then i might as well get one in a few months. I do have a licence to the peson that said i dont about. And i completly appreciate the fact that having such power under my foot would be dangerous and i cant dispute this fact that it could end badly but so could getting hit by a lorry in a 1.0 or anything else.

Cheers for the replies though guys.

I have to agree with Taylor and Cat171.
May as well not bother insuring it at all if your going to be fronting, if you can afford a 172/182 at that age you can afford the insurance policy.
Expect to pay at least £3k fully comp.

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
no you can drive when your 17. I couldnt see you getting insurance for anything under 5k. but have a go, quinn direct wont cover you on a 172, as they dont insure many performance cars.

go for it :) i have a 172 cup and im the same age as you.

You point is completly fair, in that i coudlnt afford it or get insured if it was my own policy. This way i might be able to, and as it is my dad who does own the car and it is his car then i am able to do this. Yes insurance is high but its got more to do with people who dont have insurance and people who just drive off from accidents. Oh and just insurance in general in england.

When you're young you never think it'll happen to you.

Why does he say he's got a 1.6 Dyn and he's 17 though?? Everyone born after 1988 has to be 18 don't they,

Im born in 1990 and im 17 and have a licence so i think your facts must be wrong here fella. There was a big rhumor about being 18 to drive a while back but it was just a rhumor.

Last edited:
  RS 172
But to be fair even if you can afford it, it doesnt really make financial sense. Its a fair chunk of money to spunk even if you do have it to spare.

Even if I'm a millionaire later in life, I wouldnt stick my son in a high performance car at 17. Hulk Hogans son anyone? :D His Supra didnt look to healthy after it got blitzed.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yep just had a quick read. A year or two ago a young lass who was 17 told me she had to wait till she was 18 to get hers. Must've just twigged with that whole thing about having to take 12 months of lessons.

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
i dont know how you could get away with it this day and age. if you are insuring it in your dads name and using his no claims, im presuming he hasnt got his own car that he's using them on? if we could all get away with this im sure we would try, but i'm stuck paying £137 a month for my 182 and im 21 with 1 yrs NCB

I have to agree with Taylor and Cat171.
May as well not bother insuring it at all if your going to be fronting, if you can afford a 172/182 at that age you can afford the insurance policy.
Expect to pay at least £3k fully comp.
Cheers fella.

Ph1
Thanks

There's a difference between cant afford and saving money.

Half the folk i know go on their folks policys to save cash right or wrong. Its part of life, deal with it ..

i dont know how you could get away with it this day and age. if you are insuring it in your dads name and using his no claims, im presuming he hasnt got his own car that he's using them on? if we could all get away with this im sure we would try, but i'm stuck paying £137 a month for my 182 and im 21 with 1 yrs NCB

What do you mean by getting away with this? As in my dad being policyholder.

To people about policy holder issues;

In my first post i stated that this thread was'nt about that as so many people here have complete hate for it, i wanted to stay away from it so i could actualy get oppinions on things i asked.

I respect and understand that some people have a probelm with people in general doing this (parent as policy holder), but i personaly dont, if you want to express this opinion about it more start another thread as this one isnt for it.

Oh and thank you to the people who have responded in a helpfull mannor, its appreciated.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Half the folk i know go on their folks policys to save cash right or wrong. Its part of life, deal with it ..

lol

No one else has to deal with it but the person fronting.. Sure it's not a major issue for some examples. But if you're 18, owner of a hot hatch, but you're only insured as the named driver. Prepare to get raped.

I'm not sure if that counts as not being insured in the eyes of the law, but police can, and do take uninsured cars to be crushed. Only has to happen once and it's cost you a hell of a lot more money than the extra 50% it would've cost you to insure properly.

Leon Cupra
Won't be cheap even on his old mans, insurance companies know what fronting is, its as old as cars themselves. There is a reason why its expensive when you are young, experience comes with age. But if you want to do it and can afford it, then its your choice. Good luck

Just out of interest how much is insurance on a 1.6 clio at 17 ??
I guess that it must be a couple of grand ?

better off waiting till your 20 at least you would have some exp under your belt, that insurance company's recognise i.e. license for x years and ncb, its not like you have a 1.2 and need that extra bit of power. . .dont know who would insure you at that age though, im 19 and its either 2k+ or no quote for an rs. . .your 17, couldnt have had your license for more than a year, and you couldnt have had your current car for that long either, its going to cost you quite abit, expect it, but what ever makes your happy. . .