ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WWDC 2012 -- June 11-15

2x thunderbolt ports.

Thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor already announced. (possibly included?)

Well, I realise there will be adaptors. It's just that my daily grind involves plugging into all sorts of ethernet connected devices, and I could do without carrying additional gubbins around. Not a show stopper. More of a minor inconvenience.

I know it's a bit of a guess but, before WWDC the top MBP 15" cost $2199. We get it for £1850

$2099 for the new MBP, so I'd be amazed if it was more than £1850.

Could be wrong.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So it was just the new MacBook Pro, updated Air, Mountain Lion and IOS6 that was "unveiled"?

I thought their whole Mac lineup was being updated?

I have to say though. That new Pro looks superb. Cant justify getting one really as our iMac, MacBook Air and iPad 2 are more than enough for what we do. Doesnt mean I dont want one though lol.

Ibiza FR
I am tempted to sell my 27" iMac for a new 13" Air tbh. I think I would appreciate the portability over the screen size.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I am tempted to sell my 27" iMac for a new 13" Air tbh. I think I would appreciate the portability over the screen size.

I think 13" Air (With all the options ticked) and a 27" Thunderbolt display is the perfect setup tbh. I sometimes wish I'd just got a Thunderbolt display with my Air as opposed to a full loaded iMac.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
£1500 for the new MBP on student, with 3 years warranty too.

Tempting, but it seems you cant spec the larger SSD without going for the higher spec one which is £1950. Add another £135 for RAM and it's way too expensive for me to justify :(

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
So have they made it impossible for us to upgrade the ram ourselves?

Also because I'm stupid. Is SSD the same thing as a flash drive?

Anyone ordered online as a Student or Teacher? My Dad wants to order one and with the decent discount you get (£2500 vs £2263 + £70 gift card) and my girlfriend is a teacher. How does it work for them to check your actually using it for education?

Ibiza FR
Anyone else looked on the store- few new 'silent' products. iPad smart case (all round protection) redesigned Airport Express. The Mac Pros have a new tag too - must have had a boost of specs.

Ibiza FR
I think 13" Air (With all the options ticked) and a 27" Thunderbolt display is the perfect setup tbh. I sometimes wish I'd just got a Thunderbolt display with my Air as opposed to a full loaded iMac.

I'm thinking that too - can work on the to / take it to work, then hook up to a bigger display when at home - best of both worlds. Tempting!

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I'm thinking that too - can work on the to / take it to work, then hook up to a bigger display when at home - best of both worlds. Tempting!

Yup. Exactly.

But then again. The iMac is a proper powerhouse of a machine whereas the Air cant be upgraded once you have it and will struggle/do some jobs a lot slower than the iMac.

Thunderbolt displays are too sexy though lol. Might have to get one when they "facelift" them with USB3.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You can use an iMac as a thunderbolt display from a MBA/MBP too, so get an iMac + MBA for the perfect combo imo.

Plus iMacs aren't that much more than CD's when you consider the extra you are getting.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Anyone used Apple finance before?

Just wondering if it lets you choose your finance term? e.g. 12/24 months?

Apprentice in work has used it an AFAIK he picked his term.

Their interest rates aint very nice IIRC.

Ibiza FR
Yup. Exactly.

But then again. The iMac is a proper powerhouse of a machine whereas the Air cant be upgraded once you have it and will struggle/do some jobs a lot slower than the iMac.

Thunderbolt displays are too sexy though lol. Might have to get one when they "facelift" them with USB3.

That's the thing though - I don't put mine through anything mega intensive - 90% of the time I am browsing the web or coding in Sublime which is super lightweight. I use photoshop every now and them to put a design together, but that's it!. An air would probably be better with the speedy SSD for me

Definitely won't be buying. The discontinuation of the 17" is a game changer for me.

I need to rethink my next upgrade. It'll probably be a regular Windows machine.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely won't be buying. The discontinuation of the 17" is a game changer for me.

I need to rethink my next upgrade. It'll probably be a regular Windows machine.

What do you use it for? What applications require the larger screen on a portable?

What do you use it for? What applications require the larger screen on a portable?

Writing, viewing, and editing program code. For that I need resolution and size, but then in my hotel/apartment, I need size for watching TV shows & movies. I can't settle for 15", and or that reason, I'm out.

EDIT: Specifically UltraEdit. Throw in the Function List, and screen space is limited unless you like horizontal scrolling. Granted, the retina display will negate that issue, but then I'm left with a small screen for shows/movies.

Last edited:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Writing, viewing, and editing program code. For that I need resolution and size, but then in my hotel/apartment, I need size for watching TV shows & movies. I can't settle for 15", and or that reason, I'm out.

Pah, we were using old CF30 tough books until the start of the year to view and mod code, even now we are on low resolution CF53's, still 15" albeit widescreen which helps. Apparently we need the ruggedness :S

Depends what you are programming?

Depends what you are programming?

Proprietary. Probably most closely linked to C++ but it's common for lines to go on forever. I'm self employed so I don't have to accept compromise from corporate machines.

In any case, I know that a 15" won't suit my needs.

Just get a 27" and take it with you.

AjmPlPuCQAAlOXY.png