ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Tyres

Do you use winter tyres

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I won't be getting any for my Audi, granted they may well work better but I've done just fine when I've had to use the car since I've been driving. So I can see Daniels point as well as the winter tyre guys.

It all comes down to what you'll be using the car for, where you live etc etc. People that need to commute, its worthwhile. People that live in the sticks, it's worthwhile. However if I just need to drive to the local shops and have done that for the time ive been driving without any problems I'll just stick with what I've got thanks.

This forum just needs to chill out with this argumentative attitude of late, arguing for the sake of arguing...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I won't be getting any for my Audi, granted they may well work better but I've done just fine when I've had to use the car since I've been driving.

It all comes down to what you'll be using the car for, where you live etc etc. People that need to commute, its worthwhile. People that live in the sticks, it's worthwhile. However if I just need to drive to the local shops and have done that for the time ive been driving without any problems I'll just stick with what I've got thanks.

This forum just needs to chill out with this argumentative attitude of late, arguing for the sake of arguing...

You're wrong nick. We're all going to die unless we fit Winter tyres.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
I had all weather tyres on the range rover last year and it was unstoppable! Not sure how winter tyres would of improved things on that ledge bus!

I don't think it will be the same with the s3 somehow! I may have to invest!

The m3 was terrible though, complete s**t! Couldn't even get out of the drive! Plus it was false economy not to put them on that as I chewed through a brand new spanking set of conti's on the rear, wheel spinning everywhere!

Touch wood I've never crashed in the winter!

Swift Sport
I won't be getting any for my Audi, granted they may well work better but I've done just fine when I've had to use the car since I've been driving.

Totally agree. I live in the sticks and on a hill, and it's quite important that I make it into work if I can. I saw some at a good price so I got some, simple.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Humiliating someone you've never met and never will meet via an internet thread about winter f**king tyres, Is that even possible? I was only winding you up.

I don't actually care, I just think saying you don't need them just drive to the conditions is a pretty ridiculous statement.

As extremely well put by someone on the previous page, you would buy good tyres over budget (most of us would) because of the extra grip etc offered, yet in winter you're happy to roll around on the equivalent of budget tyres instead of tyres designed for the conditions that despite what some people think are not designed for snow but for temperatures below 7-8 degrees where they offer much higher grip levels, stopping distances etc over your normal tyres.

Think of possible occassions where you might need that extra grip and reduced stopping distance that "driving to the conditions" wouldn't cover, such as idiots pulling out infront of you, kids running out into the road, getting up a steep slippy hill etc.

Just stay in if it snows? What if someone you care about is seriously ill or has an accident and you need to go and see them?

Driving to the conditions does not cover every eventuality, neither do winter tyres but it covers more of them.

I fully understand and have never said that winter tyres suddenly break the rules of physics and you can drive however you want in any weather on them, however the difference is massive and if you took the chance to actually test some out you'd see what I mean, it is quite interesting to note that nearly everyone replying saying they don't need them are those who have never had them followed by people who say they used to think that way until they tried them..

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Humiliating someone you've never met and never will meet via an internet thread about winter f**king tyres, Is that even possible? I was only winding you up.

I don't actually care, I just think saying you don't need them just drive to the conditions is a pretty ridiculous statement.

As extremely well put by someone on the previous page, you would buy good tyres over budget (most of us would) because of the extra grip etc offered, yet in winter you're happy to roll around on the equivalent of budget tyres instead of tyres designed for the conditions that despite what some people think are not designed for snow but for temperatures below 7-8 degrees where they offer much higher grip levels, stopping distances etc over your normal tyres.

Think of possible occassions where you might need that extra grip and reduced stopping distance that "driving to the conditions" wouldn't cover, such as idiots pulling out infront of you, kids running out into the road, getting up a steep slippy hill etc.

Just stay in if it snows? What if someone you care about is seriously ill or has an accident and you need to go and see them?

Driving to the conditions does not cover every eventuality, neither do winter tyres but it covers more of them.

I fully understand and have never said that winter tyres suddenly break the rules of physics and you can drive however you want in any weather on them, however the difference is massive and if you took the chance to actually test some out you'd see what I mean, it is quite interesting to note that nearly everyone replying saying they don't need them are those who have never had them followed by people who say they used to think that way until they tried them..

I don't think you're listening to me.

If its snowing heavily and theres a risk of me falling off the road and into a ditch, I won't be going out. At all. If there is a family member seriously ill that I need to go and visit, well thats ok because my parents live 13 doors down so i'll walk. (in my summer shoes!!)

Everything I need in the world is within 15 minutes walk from my front door. School, shops, family, pub, work. So for me, winter tyres are a waste of money. I can understand other peoples need for them, but I don't need them. I tried to explain this earlier.

I don't see the point in risking accidents in bad snow. I've got a young family to support and spend enough of my time on the road as it is. Putting myself at risk further trying to be a hero in the snow is just foolish.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3

well said

For the few hundred miles I'll do in the cheap s**t winter hack it's not even worth buying winter tyres. If that causes me to crash, then so be it, I'm not paying 15% of a car's value on tyres when it'll be sold in a few months. The plastic tyres it has already will have to suffice.

I do however have winter wheels ready for the SX next year, which I'll most likely get winter tyres for. Saying that, it still behaved like it did in the damp at less than 7 degrees on like it does in the damp above 7 degrees, like bambi on ice if you try to go anywhere quickly.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
We just had a chat. Most of you will never be lucky enough to be my friend on facebook so I'll share it with you.

bcdd18c6-0c4d-4369.jpg

bcdd18c6-0c59-e6e2.jpg

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Daniel, if everything you need is within a 15 minute walk then why drive 50k+ miles a year?

I assume the answer will be work, your response is solely based around the event of snow with which i fully agree for the 4 or 5 days of snow we might have a year it is hardly worth it and in your situation if you can walk for those days then thats great, but they are not snow tyres..

Oh and i'm not "coming at you" as you put it, at first I was winding you up because you're a guaranteed bite every time, however now we are into the realms of on topic debate.

Basically it's about cost. No one wants to buy them because they spend all their money on insurance and downing 40 pints a week.

Hopefully it will become law, and then there will be no discussion.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Daniel, if everything you need is within a 15 minute walk then why drive 50k+ miles a year?

I assume the answer will be work, your response is solely based around the event of snow with which i fully agree for the 4 or 5 days of snow we might have a year it is hardly worth it and in your situation if you can walk for those days then thats great, but they are not snow tyres..

Oh and i'm not "coming at you" as you put it, at first I was winding you up because you're a guaranteed bite every time, however now we are into the realms of on topic debate.

My mileage has got nothing to do with my lack of winter tyre enthusiasm. Lets say I get a train to Liverpool to collect a car. Do I drive to the nearest Kwik-Fit and get some fitted for the journey home?? No.

For the love of god just accept that I do not need winter tyres. I've already agreed that yes, some people do need them. I am not disputing that. But I don't.

Technically everyone needs winter tyres. They offer massively more grip in all conditions during the winter. If you don't need them, then you may as well runs slicks during the summer as well.

LY R26 230 F1 Team
I've got winter tyres, they have been superb. 100% happy with my purchase and will buy them again regardless for any car I own in the future.
Couldnt of been without them on my last two trips to Scottish highlands.
166401_500011847644_628542644_6048102_3309746_n.jpg

DSC00552.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Basically it's about cost.

Don't you start ffs.

I've driven (probably) getting on for 900 miles so far this week, in about 6 different cars. Do I adjust my driving style or Do I fit all of these cars with winter tyres?!?! I'd be bankrupt in a month.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I've no doubt they work, but when the weather gets too bad the Clio gets parked up and I walk everywhere instead

Hasn't killed me yet :p

Basically it's about cost. No one wants to buy them because they spend all their money on insurance and downing 40 pints a week.

Hopefully it will become law, and then there will be no discussion.

Pretty strong opinion, surely teaching people to drive accordingly to the conditions also would be beneficial?

Coupled with winter tyres would probably make things a hell of a lot smoother/easier on the roads and bring accidents down.

The problem I see with winter tyres is that some people that put them on and can then drive like they would in the dry.

The fact that Benp has said that even with winter tyres fitted on some of his vehicles, they didn't make a great deal of difference.

Don't you start ffs.

I've driven (probably) getting on for 900 miles so far this week, in about 6 different cars. Do I adjust my driving style or Do I fit all of these cars with winter tyres?!?! I'd be bankrupt in a month.

Oh I'm sorry for chiming in with a valid point. My bad. You been out on the piss with Charlie tonight or something? Giving it the big cream slice all over this thread when all anyone is doing is discussing the merits of winter tyres. Rage issues much?

Don't you start ffs.

I think Roy is saying that if insurance policy and responsibility was determined here as it is in many countries in Europe that the cars you'd be collecting would already have them on.

The problem I see with winter tyres is that some people that put them on and can then drive like they would in the dry.

In that case I'll use slicks next summer so I have to slow down even more in the wet.

FYI you're forgetting that winter tyres also offer more grip in the dry during the winter months. By your rationale we should drive year round on remoulds.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Oh I'm sorry for chiming in with a valid point. My bad. You been out on the piss with Charlie tonight or something? Giving it the big cream slice all over this thread when all anyone is doing is discussing the merits of winter tyres. Rage issues much?

I'm not raging anywhere.

I said in my very first post that I can understand why some people buy them but FOR ME they are not an option. Everybody seemed fine with that apart from tyranical who keeps chipping away at me like a fcuking Jack Russell.

In that case I'll use slicks next summer so I have to slow down even more in the wet.

FYI you're forgetting that winter tyres also offer more grip in the dry during the winter months. By your rationale we should drive year round on remoulds.

I'm not forgetting that they offer more grip in the dry in cold conditions at all. Lets try to be sensible for goodness sake...

What I'm saying is there's people that aren't driving to the conditions regardless of the time of year/conditions, a lot of people do but there's people who think that tyres alone will save them. Also I think because they have specific tyres for the times of the year that they can brake late/tailgate/driving fast.

Common sense coupled with these tyres would do wonders for drivers and the highways, thats what I'm trying to get across.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
as much as they are probably very good at what they are, and maby worth while on a RWD car (i dunno ive never owned a RWD car) i done about 6k miles in last years snow and never missed a single day of work, i had to spend a night on the motorway as it was grid lock but that wasnt down to MY tyres!

i just cant see me using them unless they made them law, i dont see any need for them, i adjust my driving style accordingly and my normal tyres do me just fine

Chelsea tractor
I have winters to put on when it gets cold / wet - it's just habit from living in the mountains of froggy land

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm not forgetting that they offer more grip in the dry in cold conditions at all. Lets try to be sensible for goodness sake...

What I'm saying is there's people that aren't driving to the conditions regardless of the time of year/conditions, a lot of people do but there's people who think that tyres alone will save them. Also I think because they have specific tyres for the times of the year that they can brake late/tailgate/driving fast.

Common sense coupled with these tyres would do wonders for drivers and the highways, thats what I'm trying to get across.

Probably from the same school as people in 4x4's who think that driving at 60mph on a snow covered road is acceptable.

You'll always get dick heads driving in all weathers. The fact remains that apples for apples, winter tyres are always better during the winter. It's that simple.

You're introducing another factor altogether, we may as well drag ABS/TCS/EBD etc into it too. Many people are either unskilled, arrogant or have poor perception irrespective of the tyres, safety features or general mechanical condition of their car, that's a given.

You could argue that the mindset of someone who's gone out and put their hand in their pocket to buy a set is more educated driver and less likely to drive like a knob if they've taken the extra precaution of seasonal tyres when there is no legislation forcing him to do so.

For Roy and Turkish -

This is exactly my point, so many other variables that factor in with driving, which makes winter tyres look rather insignificant now to me.

But I'm not telling people to not get them, I'm just saying for mine and Daniels circumstances they aren't that worthwhile.

Not a word more from me now, I hope people understand the points I've made.

interesting stuff lol :cool:

i don't bother with winter tyres as i don't do many miles in the snow, and never go over 20mph when i do go out :eek:

in 20+ years the only winter prang i ever had was a slide down a hill on some black ice and i'm almost certain winter tyres wouldn't have made much difference tbh