ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

why is my 1.2 so bloody slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Fiesta ST Stage 3
It is funny. So, so far we've established that with a long enough road, a 1.2 has an identical top speed to a 182, which in my case is a gps verified 140mph, on a german motorway obviously, which apparently makes it safer as they have different air over there.

1.2 Clio doing 140. LOL comedy gold. To be fair, a 1.2 sailed past me at 135mph the other day. He pulled in at a garage to top up on V-power, so I stopped in and had a chat. I asked what mods he had but he reckons he'd just had it floored for so long. Reckons it took him 100 miles to reach 135. I was like "wow" and continued on my travels.

Funny as fu*k :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup:

Anyone seen that video on youtube. 1.2 Clio with a Veyron gearbox. It took him 8 laps of the M25 to get to vmax - 250mph. Fookin' mental!

Nissan 350Z
Think i might rip out my F4R and put a 1.2 in, then it should outdrag a TVR, because while that maxes out at 190 mph, about 100 miles down the road i should have built up enough momentum to be going at least 30 mph faster :D

Was that on a hill coz my dci's hit 125 on a hill whilst on a straight its sed to max out at about 98!!

Bt yeh, its 1.2!!! Slow like my dci

At least it sounds good?
I take it you have a dci 80 or 100/105 as the 65 won't do that I've hit just under 125 and that took ages down a decient hill in Germany and it realy was germany there a video of it somewhere going to 120 indicated.

dont think extra weight makes much difference when it gets going because mine done 110mph with 5 big guys in it and it doesnt do much more than that with just me in it but trying to pull away at a junction etc it felt like it only had half the power.
Acceleration is slowed by the extra weight yep. You need a much longer road you need a long enough on eto do 100mph anyway.

I dont always get 120 out of it only when i'm on my own or with 1 other person and if the boot is empty, my driving is good :)

120 in a 1.2......... :clown:
120 indicated yep thats not realy 124 or so indicates is about 116mph depends on tyres. Mine should under read with the tyres I've got so 125 indicated on normal tyres would be about 114 IMO.

You will NOT reach 120 mph in a 1.2 with 75 bhp and the aerodynamics of a brick, its simple physics, it isnt possible.

You may reach an *indicated* 120 on a downhill gradient with a tailwind, but even then, you are probably at around 110 or just a touch more.
I've seem 116mph on a GPS with 65hp and thats 4.5k or so so well over max power but as you said a hill was needed.

just for the record, i know of 2 172's that have hit the rev limiter in 5th which is just over 150mph i think (both members r on here)
7.2k limit in top is about 144mph ish. there a few members wo've hit it needs a bit of a ihill though.

I believe its not possible, the engine would explode before 120mph gps imho.

were is eddie when you need him.
I recon you can get 120mph out of a 1.2 anyone willing to lead me one I'll go to Germany and get some pics I know some decient autobahns to use for the tests in the quiet periods.
If I can see 116 GPS with 65hp and 116mph is 4.5k or so which is out of power band so even if mine is a powerful engine I'd say 60hp at that rpm.

The only way to see a genuine 120mph on a 1.2 speedo is to drive it off a cliff and hope the wheels speed up on the way down.

The only way to see a genuine 120mph on a 1.2 speedo is to drive it off a cliff and hope the wheels speed up on the way down.

If I cna see over 120 in a weaker car you can see 120 in a more powerful one by logic assuming the gearbox/engine rpm arn't reached.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

typical 2.0 boys thinking they are better ^^

as edde says, if his car is putting out 60bhp at 4.5k, then a 1.2 16v is putting out about 70-73bhp (75bhp @ 5500rpm) (obviously all engines are different with good old renaults! then surely a lighter car with 10-15bhp more at that rpm can do more than the 116mph his does? given a long enough road its possible in my opinion.

and the guy who said a 1.2 would blow up before 120mph, why is that? if mine doesnt blow up when hitting the limiter in 4th (6,250rpm @ 105-ish MPH) then why would it blow up at lower revs (120mph isnt on the limiter) in a higher gear?

Nissan 350Z

Nobody thinks they are better, but i suspect us 2.0 litre boys as you put it have experienced slower cars, so know for a fact they cant do 120 mph.

Many years ago I had a Nissan Micra 1.4 16v Sport+ which had 82 bhp in a 850 kg body, and that would rape a 1.2 16v Clio and would keep pace with a 1.4 16v, and the most i had out of that on a flat was an *indicated* 117 mph.

T

Tom1D

I have a 1.4 16v ph1 and ive done 122mph with 4 people, im sure you could afford to upgrade...

oh and it was screaming like a b**ch

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

Nobody thinks they are better, but i suspect us 2.0 litre boys as you put it have experienced slower cars, so know for a fact they cant do 120 mph.

Many years ago I had a Nissan Micra 1.4 16v Sport+ which had 82 bhp in a 850 kg body, and that would rape a 1.2 16v Clio and would keep pace with a 1.4 16v, and the most i had out of that on a flat was an *indicated* 117 mph.

theres more to top speed than bhp as has been discussed and a clio is much more aerodynamic than an old nissan micra, which makes all the difference at these speeds with little power

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
I had 121mph out of my 1.2 down a very big hill! but anyone that had seen it knows how quick (for a 1.2) it was. I was so happy with this that I rang nick at hillpower to let him know and say thank you. It had recently been in to nick.

lol I mind picking up the grey 1.2 I got for free ages ago, it had sat for over a year and after first starting it about 15 mins later it was doing over the ton with a missfire.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
I duno mate,

shouldnt b tht bad,

I had a ton out of my clio 1.2 n reg the other day,

But the wheel was shaking sooo much so i gave it the breaks!!

You say ur mate hit 115,

Was that on a hill coz my dci's hit 125 on a hill whilst on a straight its sed to max out at about 98!!

Bt yeh, its 1.2!!! Slow like my dci

At least it sounds good?

You ever thought of taking English lessons so that you know how to spell words.

Eg:

coz = because
sed = said
Bt = But
b = be
tht = that
breaks = brakes

Thanks, it will benefit everyone in the long run. :D

Clio 1.2, Chrysler 300C
Hi, caught the thread a bit late but i have the same 1.2 8v engine in a 55 plate and have had 105mph on a flat A road a few times without passengers. Quite shocked to hear yours struggles to 90mph with the wheels shaking, mines passes 100mph without any signs of strains.

LOL tbh I didn't realise this had carried on.

It's not about us "2.0 boys" it's about the "1.2 boys" (some of them) thinking they have the first clue about car engineering and dynamics. It is not all about gearing. It is all about the gearing being matched to the power and weight of the vehicle.

As I asked, if I add 200mph gearing to my 182, does anyone think it's c.176bhp is going to push that gear to 200mph? In the words of my favourite big tatted welsh lady..."muppet"

BTW sorry for digging this up but I just had to :)

LOL tbh I didn't realise this had carried on.

It's not about us "2.0 boys" it's about the "1.2 boys" (some of them) thinking they have the first clue about car engineering and dynamics. It is not all about gearing. It is all about the gearing being matched to the power and weight of the vehicle.

As I asked, if I add 200mph gearing to my 182, does anyone think it's c.176bhp is going to push that gear to 200mph? In the words of my favourite big tatted welsh lady..."muppet"

BTW sorry for digging this up but I just had to :)

It would if the road was long enough. 200mph easy :quiet:

runs and hides......

Clio Sport 1.4 16v
It might not make it any quicker but you could prob do with doing a bit of an engine service. I used to have a 1.2 corsa that ran like crap and i spent the time cleaning the carbs and replacing the sparks, leads, oil and air filters and it seemed to help a fair bit. I test drove a 1.2 16v and i was actually quite impressed with it.

Clio DCi 65
Just accept it,

my 1.5DCi is just the same pretty much as a 1.2,

Its going to be slow!!

2.0 is a bit of a diffrence!

Status
Not open for further replies.