ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

why is my 1.2 so bloody slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Ph 1 172
ive hit 110 in my clio and thats a 1.2 8v s reg took a while (well i say a while i was 21 when got in the car and finally hit it when i was about 25 lol)

Leon Cupra R 225
pmsl at this thread! A 1.2 is slow because its a 1.2 ffs!!It wasnt designed to be quick. My mk1 1.2 was slow as fook. It didnt like hitting anything over 100mph.
So to everyone saying theres does 120 its rubbish! Maybe on the speedo but gps will give a much lower accurate speed.

If you want to go fast, then buy a fast car.

Well said! Only one person said they did 120 lol :nono:

Motorbikes
Well according to a CS member I have the fastest 1.2 here as he couldnt keep up in his FF 172 ;)

But on a more realistic note, my 1.2 16V (MK2) will sit at 110mph at 5500rpm, at 120mph it needs to be doing 6000rpm which is within its limits but mine wont go any faster than 110mph.

None
My 1.2 8v should do 120 on gps (when its finished) most I got it so far is 110mph on gps but I was being a bit careful as I was approaching a dodgy bend. I prob could of got another 5 out of it at a push. The most I got my original speedo showing was 115mph. When I got 110mph on gps my rt dials were underreading - only showing about 105mph. I don't think my car counts so much as its been modded now. I wouldnt think a standard 1.28v would get much more than 110-115mph

Right, I'm driving a Mk1 ph3 1.2, got 100 in it this morning to try and see what this 120 was about, it cant be done! at 100, I thought the wheels where about to fookin come off, lol...the engine is in tip top condition for a car that old (23500 ish on the clock)

seriously, it cant be done...end of!

And to answer the original question of why is my 1.2 so bloody slow,

its because its a 1.2!

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
Ive only done a ton in mine dare not go any faster, im not that good of a driver :(

I do belive sarah got 120mph out of her 1.2 16v shes a bloody good driver :)

S2000
never driven a 1.2 8v but would have thought it would certainly manage more the 90mph give that my 1.4 can pretty easily reach over 100 and could sit there all day long.

young me... well lets see ive had my 1.2 8v, my valver, my hybrid and now a golf tdi so you cant really say im young immatuire and only ever driven a little car... ive driven a hell of a lot of cars which are fast and slow.
I hit 115 on the speedo of my 1.2, 140 on the speedo of my 2.0 and 115 on the speedo of the golf, my mate hit 135 on the speedo of the valver too.
I cant comment on what it would do gps cos it didnt have gps but seems to me alot of people say theres do 115 so why is it wrong if a few peoples cars have done 115....?
1 persons has done 120.... so someone else with a 16v 1.2 try and do it.... its pointless us non 1.2 owners saying it cant since we cant try it.... adele lend me the keys to benson ;)

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
^^Ure a braver man then me i wud never atempt to do any sort of high speed in someone else car.

None
IIrc Ajketley got over 125mph in his 1.2 8v energy engine but that was tuned to just under 90bhp. He said he put a vid of it on here but it got removed

if on the road the more power you have makes the car have a faster top end and gearing plays no part in it then someone with more power can go faster... so when i hit the limiter in my clio (prior to chipping and raisingthe limiter) at 137 if id have made it more powerful it would have gone faster regardless of how its geared?

Leon Cupra R 225
I was merely going by some people's crazy ideas that a 1.2 will do 120 etc so overshot my 1.6's top end by say 15mph...

I genuinely beleive that the person who claims to have had 120, actually has, maybe not GPS verified but certainly on the speedo.

Verified by GPS will surely show 112mph absolute max though.

I know my 1.6 pulls away comfortably from 1.2's :)

I believe its not possible, the engine would explode before 120mph gps imho.

were is eddie when you need him.

lol it will eventually get to that speed given the time... the only limit is the amount of road you actually have and the gearbox, and the gearbox will let the car do 135 its just the road needed to get to that speed.... perhaps youd need a road that goes all the way around the world but it would still see the limiter given time and road as will any car

That's inaccurate surely? At some point the car hits a brick wall where the engine simply can't push it through the air. The gearing may be there but if the engine doesn't have the power to push it, it will never happen. A bit like adding much bigger gearing to a pedal bike doesn't mean my legs have the power to push the gear to 130mph. If I added gearing into my 182 that was technically capable of 200mph, do you think my 182 could do 200mph?

if on the road the more power you have makes the car have a faster top end and gearing plays no part in it then someone with more power can go faster... so when i hit the limiter in my clio (prior to chipping and raisingthe limiter) at 137 if id have made it more powerful it would have gone faster regardless of how its geared?

Once the car has the power to reach the limiter in top gear, it's gearing needs adjusting to allow the power to push the car faster. The gearing has to be tuned to match the power, not vice versa. If gearing was all that mattered, I'd see 1.2 Clios cruising past me at 137mph on the M1.

As for calling people children, and generally acting like you know anything about cars - I would suggest some research next time before calling people c**ks. It saves so much ownage in the long run ;)

Scirocco GT 210
If Plattsy's theories (which completely ignore convensional physics) were true, you could gear a 1.2 clio to do 10,000mph and, if given enough road, the little clio could eventually hit this 'gear-limited' 10,000mph ;)

I can't see him winning a Noble prize anytime soon :)

If Plattsy's theories (which completely ignore convensional physics) were true, you could gear a 1.2 clio to do 10,000mph and, if given enough road, the little clio could eventually hit this 'gear-limited' 10,000mph ;)

I disagree, my mates got a Golf GDTGGTTIIIIDDD 150 (nuff torqz). He ad it chipped an stuck a new final drive in der to gear it 1million mph. He ad it GPS verfied at 999,999mph on is way back from da moon. Innit.

F82 M4

I disagree, my mates got a Golf GDTGGTTIIIIDDD 150 (nuff torqz). He ad it chipped an stuck a new final drive in der to gear it 1million mph. He ad it GPS verfied at 999,999mph on is way back from da moon. Innit.

Thats nothin, my mums golf is geared for 2million and managed it on our way to jupiter. Not bad but parkin is a b**ch

It is funny. So, so far we've established that with a long enough road, a 1.2 has an identical top speed to a 182, which in my case is a gps verified 140mph, on a german motorway obviously, which apparently makes it safer as they have different air over there.

1.2 Clio doing 140. LOL comedy gold. To be fair, a 1.2 sailed past me at 135mph the other day. He pulled in at a garage to top up on V-power, so I stopped in and had a chat. I asked what mods he had but he reckons he'd just had it floored for so long. Reckons it took him 100 miles to reach 135. I was like "wow" and continued on my travels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.