ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

why is my 1.2 so bloody slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
  A Fcukin Car
lol it's true tho. What do people expect of 1.2s/1.4s? Supercar performance?!!

No but u would be supprised, all these people saying it would strugle to push 100mph really should come an take a ride in my 1.2, not saying it is super or owt but it holds well at 110mph

ow thick can some people be..
"renault say it only does 105 so it cant do anymore" - how thick are you? every car ive had the top speed has been way over the claimed by the manufacturer.
Engine size has bugger all to do with it... when will you children realise a gearbox is what lets a car have its top speeds? the 1.2 clio will be geared to(like any other) 137mph maybe slightly more. Engine size is irrelevant its the gearbox that matters, give a 1.2 a long enough road and it will eventually reach it, dont know if youve noticed but 120 would not have been on the limiter in 5th gear...
FOOOLS!!

Octavia VRS
lol it's true tho. What do people expect of 1.2s/1.4s? Supercar performance?!!

No but u would be supprised, all these people saying it would strugle to push 100mph really should come an take a ride in my 1.2, not saying it is super or owt but it holds well at 110mph

I've had my 1.4 at 117mph pretty stable so I do know what they can do!!! ;)

Still, at the end of the day it's a low engined supermini!

LY 200
RS snobbery ^^

No mate, I just know the rest of the pages are gonna be filled with drival........Iv read page 6 and i agree that saying a 1.2 could achieve 120 mph is bolloy or a missreading of the speedo in question.

Look at it like this, a 1.8 16v mk1 (i had one so im qualified to say this) would need a fair bit of road after 90mph to see 120mph on the speedo, it would be worse for a heavier lower powered mk2 1.6 16v and even more so for a 1.4 16v so imagine even if even if a 1.2 could do the said speed how much road it would need to do so??

Maybe its just me, but i really dont think its gonna happen!!!

it will happen just give it a long enough road to do it. the gearing is there its just a lack of power but it will eventually get there

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
this is a funny as fook!

my 1.2 16v had 120 on the clock one day down a hill but gps told me otherwise = 107mph

its like my 172 hit the limiter at 150...gps = 141mph

al

ST on the way...
RS snobbery ^^

No mate, I just know the rest of the pages are gonna be filled with drival........Iv read page 6 and i agree that saying a 1.2 could achieve 120 mph is bolloy or a missreading of the speedo in question.

Look at it like this, a 1.8 16v mk1 (i had one so im qualified to say this) would need a fair bit of road after 90mph to see 120mph on the speedo, it would be worse for a heavier lower powered mk2 1.6 16v and even more so for a 1.4 16v so imagine even if even if a 1.2 could do the said speed how much road it would need to do so??

The MK2's have better aerodynamics than the MK1's tho so not really comparable.

A Fcukin Car
RS snobbery ^^

I beg to differ, I personally havent had 120 out of my 1.2 but on the way down to Trax me and another 1.2 was with Kartman all the way down and was easily keeping up, admittedly he obviously wasn't bootin in but we were avaraging just over 110 most of the way and didn't strugle reaching thoses speeds tbh.

LY 200

Lol whether thats true or not you cant compare a performance car such as the 1.8 16v to a 1.2 16v, 1.4 16v or 1.6 16v even if it does have better aerodynamics!!!

So you think if all 4 were piitted against each other, rolling at 90, the valver wouldnt blow them all away?? Get real mate!!!

Im just making a valkid point that the bigger engined valver would struggle above 90 so the others deffinatly would.........What planet are some of you people on??? LMAO

For the record since 17 iv had a 1.2, 1.8 16v mk1, 2.0 16v mk1 and now the RS so its deffo not RS snobbery as you put it. 3 and abit years on all those cars performances are still very fresh in my minfd and i know the 1.2 would struggle to pick up at any speed however it wasnt bought for that reason anyway!!!

al

ST on the way...

Lol whether thats true or not you cant compare a performance car such as the 1.8 16v to a 1.2 16v, 1.4 16v or 1.6 16v even if it does have better aerodynamics!!!

So you think if all 4 were piitted against each other, rolling at 90, the valver wouldnt blow them all away?? Get real mate!!!

Im just making a valkid point that the bigger engined valver would struggle above 90 so the others deffinatly would.........What planet are some of you people on??? LMAO

For the record since 17 iv had a 1.2, 1.8 16v mk1, 2.0 16v mk1 and now the RS so its deffo not RS snobbery as you put it. 3 and abit years on all those cars performances are still very fresh in my minfd and i know the 1.2 would struggle to pick up at any speed however it wasnt bought for that reason anyway!!!

Yes, the valver would probably quicker but it certainly wouldn't "blow" anything away.

Which 1.2 was it that you had?

Scirocco GT 210
it will happen just give it a long enough road to do it. the gearing is there its just a lack of power but it will eventually get there

I hope in this post (and the one before) you aren't being serious.

Your aren't driving in space you know :clown:

lol it will eventually get to that speed given the time... the only limit is the amount of road you actually have and the gearbox, and the gearbox will let the car do 135 its just the road needed to get to that speed.... perhaps youd need a road that goes all the way around the world but it would still see the limiter given time and road as will any car

al

ST on the way...
lol it will eventually get to that speed given the time... the only limit is the amount of road you actually have and the gearbox, and the gearbox will let the car do 135 its just the road needed to get to that speed.... perhaps youd need a road that goes all the way around the world but it would still see the limiter given time and road as will any car

Agreed! :approve:

The only thing that is going to limit it if anything is the aerodynamics.

al

ST on the way...
gotta love the optimism my ph-slow brothers have! ;) lol

I can get to a tonne in my 1.6 piss easy, and there's plenty left.

(Not to you these two kenny;))

I'm not saying it would do 135 or whatever.

Renault say it will do 121mph, so why not?

Scirocco GT 210
You guys are all on pot :eek:

Nobody here ever heard of drag? Air resistance? Friction? And, you know, physics? :clown:

Last edited:
by no means am i stating that the 1.2/1.4s are fast :) im just saying that they and anyother car can hit the given speed of 120mph unless its a 4 speed box since there geared to about 100ish

al

ST on the way...
You guys are all on pot :eek:

Nobody here ever heard of drag? Air resistance? Friction? And, you know, physics? :clown:

The 172 can do 145 mph and it's the same shape as a 1.2 :S

Although the aerodynamics of a 172 are probable worse than a 1.2 due to the enlarged front end and added downforce with spoilers etc.

BTW I'm not suggesting a 1.2, 1.4 or even 1.6 could do 145, thats just silly!! :S

Last edited:
I think you will find its most CS members that havent a clue and talk out there arse! most CS members are c***s, its reasons like not being able to accept when your wrong why i left CS ages ago...
Like the ancient Mk1 Vs Mk2 threads where it eventually went to the pod and the mk1s took victory and the mk2 owners still wouldnt admit the mk1 was faster....

Leon Cupra R 225
1.2s still won't do 120mph officially though. Maybe on peeps fucked up speedo's.

Get a GPS that'll show the 106mph max etc.

Last edited:
just cos renault say it wont dont mean it wont... renault claim alot of shite... if you didnt know renault talk b****cks!
A 1.2 clio will do whatever the gearbox lets it do, get a rolling road and whack it on there i bet it will eventually get to the limit in 5th and the speedo will be out of course but it will still do it given the road...
Manufacturers figures are usually wrong, dont take them for granted.

Nissan 350Z
LMAO at you (plattsy).

The 1.2 will not do 120, not because its restricted by gearing, but because it simply does not have enough power to overcome the drag at that speed.

120? LMAO. Renault will test their cars probably on something like one of those bowl tracks that most manufacturers use to test top speed. You can go on and on and on around one of those, so its the equivalent of having a "very long road" as you put it.

I like the way you seem to think you know more than Renault!

You could go on any car forum you like, and as long as the users arent clueless muppets, you will get laughed at for making a claim like that :D

they do about 145 on the limiter in 5th iirc according to the speedo anyway so its probably around 137 GPS which i stated earlier :)

so you actually think renault will put a 1.2 on a bowl track... someone get a 1.2 and show these people that it will actually do 120mph please

Leon Cupra R 225
so you actually think renault will put a 1.2 on a bowl track... someone get a 1.2 and show these people that it will actually do 120mph please

why don't you get in a 1.2 and get a gps fitted and show us smart ass. I had a mk2 1.2 16v and nailed with just me in it (weighing 11st) wouldn't hit past 107! Absolutely nailed. Another 13mph is impossible in a car with 75bhp against the drag of a mk2 shell.

Scirocco GT 210
The 172 can do 145 mph and it's the same shape as a 1.2 :S

Because it has 100bhp more power!

I think you will find its most CS members that havent a clue and talk out there arse! most CS members are c**ks, its reasons like not being able to accept when your wrong why i left CS ages ago...

Well i'm not going to call you a "c**k", because that's just childish, but you are talking out of your arse and know nothing about this particular subject. POWER is what limits a car's top speed, not gearing. When the force produced by power is matched by the opposing forces created by drag, friction etc, this determines terminal velocity (or top speed), not gearing.

A 1.2 clio will do whatever the gearbox lets it do, get a rolling road and whack it on there i bet it will eventually get to the limit in 5th and the speedo will be out of course but it will still do it given the road....

If you were driving in a vacuum, or driving somewhere with very little resistance (like on a RR, which you've mentioned), yes, gearing is what will limit a car's top speed. It doesn't work like this on the open road though!

Nissan 350Z
why don't you get in a 1.2 and get a gps fitted and show us smart ass. I had a mk2 1.2 16v and nailed with just me in it (weighing 11st) wouldn't hit past 107! Absolutely nailed. Another 13mph is impossible in a car with 75bhp against the drag of a mk2 shell.

Spot on, but i feel you are wasting your time arguing with this person. They are clearly a young, adrenaline filled lad who has delusions of grandeur about his lil 1.2...

al

ST on the way...

Spot on, but i feel you are wasting your time arguing with this person. They are clearly a young, adrenaline filled lad who has delusions of grandeur about his lil 1.2...

Have you read this thread at all? :S

A Fcukin Car

He dosn't actually have a 1.2, he drives a golf!

182 and 5 GTT
pmsl at this thread! A 1.2 is slow because its a 1.2 ffs!!It wasnt designed to be quick. My mk1 1.2 was slow as fook. It didnt like hitting anything over 100mph.
So to everyone saying theres does 120 its rubbish! Maybe on the speedo but gps will give a much lower accurate speed.

If you want to go fast, then buy a fast car.

Status
Not open for further replies.