ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

White Trackday 172 Project *Contains Awesome*

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Ok so i've had this phase 1 white Clio 172 shell for 3 weeks now so i thought i'd put a few pics on here to show what's been going on. I'll obviously update this thread as and when more work is done to the Clio.

The plan is to use my Odyssey blue Clio 172 as a donor using the brakes, suspension, seats, engine, gearbox, all ancillaries and any other part to complete the project. Along the way parts will be bought new that need changing or decide to uprate.

White shell back from after picking up from DannyR in Suffolk

WP_000105-1.jpg

WP_000106-1.jpg

WP_000108-1.jpg

First job is to remove all the stickers!

Back end

WP_000112.jpg

Passenger side

WP_000111.jpg

Front

WP_000114.jpg

Drivers side

WP_000115.jpg

First wash after months

WP_000124.jpg

WP_000125.jpg

AutoGlym tar and bug remover to clean glue residue, then Super Resin polish

WP_000140.jpg

WP_000141.jpg

Wash and polish door shuts, rubbers removed

WP_000137.jpg

WP_000136.jpg

WP_000135.jpg

WP_000138.jpg

New Polyflex wishbone bushes

WP_000158.jpg

New Polyflex Dogbone bushes

WP_000157.jpg

Rear camber shims

WP_000156.jpg

2nd hnd parts from the local scrapyard

Decoder ring and tailgate strut

decoder.jpg

Manual winder mechanisms and handles

manualwinders-1.jpg

New solid top mounts

solidmount-1.jpg

Interior door handles fitted, waiting for cup spacers

WP_000176.jpg

New front grill, bumper, inner arch fixings

WP_000172.jpg

Smooth Hammerite inner arches

WP_000175.jpg

WP_000184.jpg

Mock up painted OZ F1 wheel on the Clio

WP_000166.jpg

WP_000167.jpg

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Re: White Trackday 172 Project

i love a mk2 in white.... looks stunning! cleans up well too!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

As it sits from last weekend

WP_000165.jpg

WP_000163.jpg

I'll be working on it tomorrow all day with a friend, the plan is to trim the interior loom right back to only what we'll need. Basically i'm getting the shell completely ready for when i fit the parts from the blue Clio

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

A project thread at last... :cool:

You know my thoughts...

Good luck dude !

Cheers, really enjoy working on it and can't wait to start swapping parts over. Fingers crossed in the next week or 2. I need to purchase a few more parts but on the whole there's no rush with this :)

How much did the grill, bumper and inner arch fixings cost from renault?

Probably the cheapest thing you have bought but i need a few!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

looks awesome, another good project thread...
you order the cup door handle spacers from r-sport?

i was told they were totally out of stock and not making anymore....

Lookin good mate.

Looking forward to seeing more progress pictures,

If require any help let me know.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

looks awesome, another good project thread...
you order the cup door handle spacers from r-sport?

i was told they were totally out of stock and not making anymore....

Thanks, been reading your project thread with great interest.

Regards door handle spacers i put my name down in the group buy on here. I believe he has a set and it making copies of them, it's the little parts that make the difference IMO :)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

How much did the grill, bumper and inner arch fixings cost from renault?

Probably the cheapest thing you have bought but i need a few!

It all came to about £23 inc VAT, i still need more plastic round inner arch grommets but i'll take them off the blue Clio. I was going to order the lastic inner arches but nearly fainted! So back to the scrapyard

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

Had to buy another OZ alloy as i found out 1 of the painted alloys was badly buckled. I bough this from Cliospares in Doncaster

WP_000215.jpg

Trimmed the interior loom right back, airbag, stereo and speakers, central locking, electric windows, heater-AC, rear wiper and demister wires all gone. 12V supply, hazard swith and OBD port stays. Now thinking of putting a dash top in to hide most of the loom

WP_000222.jpg

Manual winder mechanisms fitted, ignition decoder and tailgate strut fitted too. 1 strut support isnt enough to take the weight so i'll buy another from the breakers

WP_000224.jpg

Aerocatch bonnet release in white

WP_000213.jpg

A friend of mine is fitting the polybushes to the wishbones and dogbone mount at work

V__AE41.jpg

V__0E60.jpg

V__D72A.jpg

V__55DA.jpg

Sabelt 4 point harnesses

WP_000217.jpg

Clio door handle spacers

WP_000221.jpg

TrackCar & F30 330d

Nice track car, only just seen this thread, do you know you have to tack the metal wishbone sleves to the wishbones or they will cut the subframe!

Any plans for the engine?

Clio 172 Phase 1

Now that is one sexy looking cage lol

Whole car looks great so far mate keep up the good work will keep my eye on your progress :approve:

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

Nice track car, only just seen this thread, do you know you have to tack the metal wishbone sleves to the wishbones or they will cut the subframe!

Any plans for the engine?

Sleeves were tacked in after that pic

Engine plans, nothing exciting yet. I have a set of matched inlets to go on and decat. I already have the K Tec stealth exhaust.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

A few bits been done since the last update so here we are with pics

Shell is cleaned, the blue Clio is off the road, SORN so time to take exterior parts of the blue and ontohe white

Phase 2 rear lights
WP_000236.jpg

Plastic side trim
WP_000238.jpg

Headlight
WP_000239.jpg

Cup racer replica door handle spacers
WP_000242.jpg

Front wheel mock up to see how the painted wheel looks
WP_000252.jpg

WP_000251.jpg

K Tec solid top mounts fitted to the turrets
WP_000253.jpg

K Tec coilover kit and white Speedline 2118 wheels sold to purchase the FK Konigsport coilover kit

WP_000268-1.jpg

WP_000270.jpg

WP_000269.jpg

Wasn't happy with the finish on the mettalic grey so i decide to sand back down and paint again.... In a different colour, gloss black

WP_000261.jpg

WP_000262.jpg

WP_000266.jpg

Wishbones are sprayed in Hamerite satin black
WP_000272.jpg

Polybushes pressed back in
WP_000273.jpg

Wishbones fitted back onto degreased and cleaned subframe
WP_000274.jpg

WP_000275.jpg

I have Cobra Monaco S seats and although the stiching colour went ok in the blue Clio it woldnt look right in the white and red of the cage.

WP_000287.jpg

10 mins later and the missus has changed the stiching colour
WP_000290.jpg

WP_000294.jpg

The carbon bonnet is fitted
WP_000296.jpg

How it sits, wihout the engine in yet
WP_000292.jpg

WP_000293.jpg

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

looking sweet that is, CF bonnet looks ace!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

I had to modify the seat subframes to utilise the oe mounting points in the blue Clio as the subfames were for a Fiat Bravo. What i realised in the white shell is the floorpan is different to acommodate bucket seat sidemounts. So the seat subframs i modified now have to be changed again.

7.8kgs of excess metal cut off the seat subframes
WP_000300.jpg

Subframes measured and marked up ready to be fabricated
WP_000301.jpg

Subframes back from fab work
WP_000306.jpg

WP_000307.jpg

Holes drilled ready for bolts
WP_000308.jpg

FK coilovers, wheel back off to fit the 25mm spacers
WP_000303.jpg

25mm spacers fitted, also showing the negative camber potential
WP_000305.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

So, with Wills and Kate tying the knot this gives me the day off to put a bit more in. Time to get those seats in.

Subframes bolted to the seats
WP_000313.jpg

25mm spacers
WP_000309.jpg

Seats now in, Sabelt harnesses in place, also fitted the OMP steering wheel too
WP_000317.jpg

WP_000318.jpg

WP_000319.jpg

WP_000314.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

Popped down to our local scrapyard Saturday for a few bits and pieces, on the lookout for a cigarette lighter 12V feed and a dashtop from a later Mk2 Clio (02-05). While i was there i spotted a silver 172 so i took some plastic parts from the inner arches.

Mk2 dashtop
WP_000321.jpg

Plastic arch liners, also note plastic parts that go over the driveshafts
WP_000322.jpg

Gave all the plastics and dashtop a good scrub then used Auto Glym bumper care to revitalise them back to a nice black
WP_000323.jpg

WP_000324.jpg

Started on the dashtop last night, i had a phs 1 dashtop in place but 1: I didn't like the blue 2: Cut it badly each end just to get it in to see what it looks like 3: Prefer the Mk2 as the centre part is in place and will be used to house the 12V feed, hazard switch.

The phs 1 dash in the centre was missing and just looked wrong, i prefer the look of the later dash. The plan this time was to cut the dash in half strategically where the plastic inner vents are joined, so the cut line is in line with the vents. It's the only way i can get the dash in to scribe each end around the rollcage. Luckily with the later dash the plastic centre bit takes up most of the centre part of the dash so there's not much of the cut line showing.

WP_000326.jpg

WP_000333.jpg

WP_000334.jpg

A big thanks today to my mate Rich and my brother for popping round to help lift the 172 lump out of the blue Clio. Now it's out it gives me the chance to swap the inlets over, give it a clean and degrease, and to also have the cambelt and other belt changed

WP_000329.jpg

WP_000330.jpg

This week i'll put bits back on the blue Clio to get it to a rolling shell then it can go, i'll work on the dash centre to blank off the openings to house the hazard switch and 12V feed. I'm looking into using a digital dash so the OE part of the clocks will be blanked off.

I need to do a shopping list for the last of the parts i need to finish, stuff like sundries i.e Type D coolant, gearbox oil, engine oil, carbon wrap material

Discounted 1*2 parts

nice project - love cliosports in white and the red cage/buckets and harnesses set it off a treat!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

A few minor updates,

We're getting closer to to the finishing line, another 3 full working days could see it fire into life and hopefully the main parts done. It's the small details and jobs i'm working on in between my friend coming over to keep it going, i must have been to Renault 4-5 times within the last week ordering, nuts, bolts and gaskets to finish jobs off.

So, the weekend just gone. Nothing big but to me i wanted to do this. The centre section of the dash houses the digital display, as its missing and i hate having the void there i decided to head to the scrappers to buy 1 just to fill it. As the lower dash and everything is missing i had to superglue and gripfill the parts to the centre plastic section.

Centre section
WP_000346.jpg

Digital display in parts
WP_000347.jpg

Display ready to be glued into place
WP_000348.jpg

Gripfill in places
WP_000350.jpg

Finished item
WP_000351.jpg

The void below the digital display which usually houses the centre vents will be blanked off with carbon fibre, this will house the 12V supply and the hazard switch.

Parts from Renault, 10 litres of Type D coolant
WP_000343.jpg

ABS sensor cable brackets
WP_000344.jpg

Dashtop clips that sit in the shell, the torx screws from the dashtop then screw into
WP_000345.jpg

Sunday was cambelt day, along with bleeding the brakes and fitting the remainder of the ABS lines front to back

Locking tool
WP_000352.jpg

New belt
WP_000353.jpg

Genuine item of course
WP_000355.jpg

Bleeding the brakes
WP_000357.jpg

172 alternator and brackets are off too and waiting for the Cup setup to arrive in the post

As i'm not running the heater matrix i've purchased the 180 degree pipe which will join the old matrix pipes together and the joiner.
WP_000358.jpg

So this week i'll try and sort fixing points for the lwer parts of the dash, the interior loom, relays and fuses will tuck away under the dashtop. I'll degrease the engine and gearbox too so thats ready to go back into the white Clio..... Getting there

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

If you need a test run in 3 days time, let me know and I'll have the kettle ready !!

I think the 3 full days will be spread over the next 3 weeks! The next step is engine in on the mounts, cup alternator setup on the block first. Then the engine loom has to be modified to run the battery in the back of the car, ECU will stay in the bay. Engine loom in, then the coolant hoses can go back in along with the rad although i need to pressure test the rad as i think it's weeping coolant from the bottom.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

Absolute blinder, looks a treat.