ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

White Trackday 172 Project *Contains Awesome*

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Re: White Trackday 172 Project

A few updates with pics.

While the engine was out i thought it would be such a shame to drop it back in with the original alternator setup using an Air Con pump still in situ but not actually having any air con in the Clio. I thought i'd look into the infamous 'Cup' setup (AC delete kit)

K Tec price nearly £400, you can actually buy the support brackets, alternator, bolts, tensioner and aux belt all new from Renault for under £300. Luckily i came across an ad on E Bay for a Clio Cup being broken, 1 phone call and £85 later i purchased the complete setup minus the aux belt and a couple of bolts

New alternator bolts from Renault
WP_000387.jpg

Cup lower bracket
WP_000392.jpg

Top bracket
WP_000393.jpg

Setup in place
WP_000371.jpg

New aux belt in situ
WP_000408.jpg

Access hole cut out behind the headlight
WP_000379.jpg

WP_000378.jpg

Also cleaned the throttle body and fit back on the inlet with a new gasket

Before
WP_000390.jpg

After
WP_000395.jpg

WP_000396.jpg

So the engine is ready to go back in now the Cup setup is on, did a couple of the small jobs mid week like fit bigger washers on the bolts that hold the seats into the shell and also bought a harness plate

WP_000385.jpg

WP_000384.jpg

Also ordered new handbrake cables as the others looked in a bad way
V__8841.jpg

OK, engine in time, a marathon 12 hour shift yesterday starting at 9am. My bro pops over to help get the engine into the white Clio.

WP_000404.jpg

WP_000405.jpg

WP_000406.jpg

WP_000407.jpg

Now it's in it's time to first sort out the PAS pipes, now that there's a different alternator setup 1 of the pipes has to be bent to re route onto the original pipe

WP_000416.jpg

After thats done it's a case of refitting the coolant hoses, header tank, engine loom. Clipping in the clutch cable, throttle cable too. Now that the injector rail cover is gone and the 2 threaded bars that hold it have been cut off, there's plenty of room to re route the induction pipe from the airbox. The old setup ran to the passenger foglight, it will now run in front of the injectors and behind the top part of the grill. The next job is to drill holes in the black part of the grill for airflow. Handbrake cables were fitted and the gear linkage sorted too.

WP_000419.jpg

WP_000417.jpg

WP_000418.jpg

So, this is where we are at the moment

WP_000414.jpg

WP_000413.jpg

WP_000412.jpg

Clio Sport 172

i love this car. i saw this when the thread 1st came on and have got my gf to get a white clio so i can do some bits to it :) (she dont no but i think ill keep it for mee heee

BMW 535d

looking like an absolute blinder of a car. Keep up the hard work and keep posting those pictures :)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

Getting there dude !!

Battery relocation on the to-do list ?

Certainly is getting there :) yes the battery will be relocated in the back but for now just so we can get it running and out on track for setting up we're leaving it in the OE position. There's enough bits and pieces that require our time and attention so it's easier leaving it for now.

Clio sport Ragnotti

KTR Guide support at how big the diameter of the lower part is the top? Can you measure once

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

I'm not sure why I haven't read this before, but awesome work.

Are the wishbone bushes a lot of effort? (something I'd really like to do on mine).

This will look awesome when finished.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

I think the hardest part about swapping over to updated bushes is getting the old ones out. 2 long bolts where the bushes are, 2 bolts for the balljoint and 1 for the outer ARB bush gets it off. If you know a metal fabrication company or know a mate that welds then that covers the sleeves being tacked in place.

New bushes hand press into the sleeves, then the inner sleeves, wishbone can go back on.

Personally if you're changing them you might as well fit polyflex ARB bushes too, unless they're already done

Clio sport Ragnotti

Thank you
I want to fit the Clio cup strut bar so I need to compare the diameter to

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

I think the hardest part about swapping over to updated bushes is getting the old ones out. 2 long bolts where the bushes are, 2 bolts for the balljoint and 1 for the outer ARB bush gets it off. If you know a metal fabrication company or know a mate that welds then that covers the sleeves being tacked in place.

New bushes hand press into the sleeves, then the inner sleeves, wishbone can go back on.

Personally if you're changing them you might as well fit polyflex ARB bushes too, unless they're already done

Chers for the reply...

I'd intend to TBH mate, I want to freshen up the whole front end, and eventually even go as far as having my shocks refurbed (but I don't know anyone who does this yet).

I'm quite sure on my original MOT for the car is says some play in the steering bushes? But I quite frankly have no idea what they are, lol!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

Haven't really done much in the last 2-3 weeks, been sorting mechanical parts to try and finish it off and finally get it up and running which hopefully should be this Sunday.

Ordered a new exhaust to cat (or decat in my case) fitting kit, i have the old stuff but preferred to just fit new . It makes it easier fitting it all up, the KTR stealth will go on this Sunday too. IMO a 2 man job, i did try it at about 9pm the other night but it gave me the ump so i left it!
WP_000469.jpg

A couple of things i've been working on after work is a tow bar and drilling holes in the grill for air to get into the flexi pipe behind it

Tow bar, the setup is how i'd like it but i'm making another to give it more meat onthe round section. The inspiration is from seeing the touring cars and GT cars... Opinions are welcome, the revised and finished item will be painted red

Marked out from an offcut of RSJ from work!
WP_000424.jpg

Hacksaw and 4" grinder on it
WP_000425.jpg

Getting there
WP_000449.jpg

Loosely in place, the idea is there
WP_000452.jpg

Flexi pipe located behind the grill
WP_000418.jpg

Grill
WP_000437.jpg

WP_000433.jpg

Subtle
WP_000436.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

Whats left to do now then?

Fit the exhaust system
Fit the phase 1 fuel rail which has the FPR
1 of the indicators isn't working, we've found the wire just need to chase up the right 1 from the fusebox/relay end to join
Secure bottom part of the dashtop
Fit OE dash clocks for now until i purchase a digi dash
3 jubilee clips on the heater matrix delete pipe setup
Fit driveshafts
Put in Type D coolant
Put in power steering fluid
Put in Gearbox fluid
Waiting on a keyfob, failing that will use the key, UCH and ECU from the blue 172 i have
Need to order a 70mm silicone elbow for the airbox
Make a bracket to hold the airbox in place

Stupid little jobs that all add up but it's almost there, there's probably other small details (5minute jobs) i've missed no doubt

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

Part No: 60 00 073 668 £27.06

The parts guy has been giving me discount so i paid £24.36, every penny saved helps. I've also ordered a black 90 degree silicone hose 70mm ID for the inlet to airbox so hopefully that'll be here by this weekend. Also bought some dome headed bolts to hold the ABS brackets to the front coilover dampers.

The strangest thing about all this is i do not have a clue how this Clio will perform, feel like, drive with all these modifications. I thought the Odyssey blue Clio 172 was respectable but with the new uprated bushes, full rollcage, solid top mounts, better coilovers it's going to be completely different. Hopefully when it's done i'll book it in on a trackday to dial in the camber, suspension setup and toe out etc

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

Ok, had some spare time so i thought i'd put the stock interior back into the Odyssey blue 172. The chap who's taking it is bringing some wheels with him this weekend so it should be rolling then off the driveway ASAP.

WP_000479.jpg

WP_000480.jpg

Put the OE headunit back in
WP_000485.jpg

All the seats back in
WP_000487.jpg

So, today the 90 degree silicone hose arrives for the TB to airbox. Only ordered it yesterday and arrived this morning, great service.
WP_000483.jpg

After cutting to length at each end and digging out some jubilee clips from the store room this is how it's all set up, induction complete. The eagle eyed might recognise the airbox lid isn't actually from a V6

WP_000488.jpg

WP_000490.jpg

Next job was to jack up the front and get the wheels off to fit the driveshafts and the ABS brackets.

WP_000491.jpg

WP_000492.jpg

Also found these plastic driveshaft 'shrouds' fitted to a Clio 172 in the local breakers so i bought them, cleaned them and fitted them to mine.

WP_000493.jpg

While i was working on the passenger side i thought i'd relocate the horns in case i fancied rigging up some flexi brake ducting from the foglight ducts. I cut some of the metal off the bracket and re bolted back in place.

Before
WP_000494.jpg

After, much higher up
WP_000495.jpg

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Good work, have relocated the horns on mine for that reason,
With regards to it feeling totally different, know what you mean, mine has changed so much since it was on the road last

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

A momentus day today, i bought this shell the 4th March 2011. So in only just over 3 months it's gone from a complete bare shell, to a Clio that fired up for the first time today. Literally the first turn of the key and it fired up. We ended up taking the UCH and ECU off my Odysey blue Clio and fitted it in the white Clio, i also have the key fob for the blue Clio so i swapped blades in the fobs so everything now matches! We also swapped the fuel sender and the fuel line that runs from the sender to the fuel filter. The phase 1 fuel return is now a vent pipe from the fuel tank.

We only ran for as long as the video as we hadn't put the Type D coolant in, it also started running a bit rough so we changed back to the original ICV and it idled spot on. PAS and gearbox fluid done, Type D coolant put in and engine ran until the fan kicked in while bleeding the air out the system. Also checked the voltage output on the 2nd hand 'Cup' alternator and that was a healthy 14V.

Really pleased with how it went today, fresh new cambelt kit and aux belt in place. We also fitted the complete exhaust system right from the manifold with the decat to the complete K Tec stealth system. It sounds really nice, there's still a few minor bits to attend to but the next big step (after setting up the front end geometry) is to get it on the rolling road to 1:Map it 2: See what power it is. We're thinking of taking it to Tour de Force.

Matched inlets
Decat
K Tec stealth exhaust
R21 turbo airbox with 100mm diameter intake feed, they use the same airbox but the outlet pipe on the lid is different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTQ6oPirXaY

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

Poxy weather today! Did not stop raining all day so a 3 metre square gazebo is erected.... And a parasol :)

WP_000496.jpg

WP_000497.jpg

Black Clio GT

lol at pmt performance....
awesome work mate look foward to seeing it out on track :)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

I can't wait to get it out on track, will fit the grill and bumper back on with the new fixings I bought from Renault. The other job is to tidy up the interior loom, now debating whether to get a 2nd hand lower dash to cover the fusebox, UCH and loom. Might just use the passenger side, then work a way of fixing it solid in there.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

Love that PMT sticker, where is it from?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

Love that PMT sticker, where is it from?

I had it made by a local graphics company nearly 3 years ago, its like a silver 'carbon' look to try and match the look of the carbon weave....

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

Basically ticking off the 'To Do' list and just about there now, so i turned my attention to the interior and the dash. I'm going to use OE clocks so i needed to find a way of holding them in the phase 2 dash and in front of the rollcage that runs behind the dash. Also, there's the 12V socket, hazard switch to fit along with the dash clock dimmer with headlight adjuster. My mate brought over some thin carbon fibre so i set to work.

Dash centre
WP_000504.jpg

Drivers air vent
WP_000506.jpg

Carbon fibre
WP_000505.jpg

Vent louvres removed and ready to take dash dimmer
WP_000507.jpg

As it looks in the vent, i wanted to cover in carbon to match the centre dash.
WP_000509.jpg

WP_000510.jpg

WP_000511.jpg

Now with carbon, having to cut slots in it so the rollers can move
WP_000513-1.jpg

Now for the dash centre which will house the 12V feed and hazard switch
WP_000517.jpg

WP_000519.jpg

WP_000521.jpg

I ended up gutting the passenger vent and blanking it off to match the divers side
WP_000539.jpg

Also plugged the clocks in to make sure they worked before fitting them in
WP_000529.jpg

Waste pipe clips, threaded bar, nuts and washers to fix dash clocks
WP_000533.jpg

These will clip on the rollcage and pick up the clocks, holes are drilled in the clock body for the threaded bar to go through
WP_000534.jpg

WP_000536.jpg

WP_000538.jpg

WP_000537.jpg

I also tidied up the wiring a bit more, fixed the plastic undershield to the front bumper and subframe. I'm just about there now, mechanically it's all done. All that's left is a couple of wiring gremlins, set up the camber and suspension geometry, tax..... Then on the road :)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

Nearly there !!!

Amazed there isn't more interest in this thread ! :dapprove:

I had a cheeky drive up the road and back today, felt good but it won't be on the road properly until the 1st July

Me too TBH.....