ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whine after cam/aux belts and tensioners

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
As above, I've observed a whine since fitting new belts, tensioners and idlers. Now I've no idea if it was there before as the noise of the duff de-phaser pulley probably would have covered it up. Pitch changes with RPM and it is not audible at idle.

Is it easy to put too much tension on the aux belt, or perhaps it's a duff idler/tensioner pulley? (came from Renault).

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Simple answer is, obviously, get it back to whoever did it ASAP to be looked at!

It should be impossible to get too much tension on the belt as the tensioner has an "idiot" marker on it that clearly shows the point to which it must be engaged. It can be missed by someone not knowing its there or its intended puropse. It can also creep forwards if the belt run isn't spun over by hand and re-checked before locking up the sprockets.

Mick

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
The work was done between myself and a friend, there is no where to take it back to.

Unfortunately, he did the tensioning, as I was too busy trying to source an engine mount while the cambelt was being done, and holding the tension on a little ratchet when the auxbelt was done :p But I'm assured it was done as you describe.

The cambelt tensioner was indeed done to the marker. What about the auxbelt?

Last edited:

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
PAS pump sounds likely, it was run very low (but not empty) when my PAS pipe split, and the noise was almost like a louder/courser version of what I'm hearing now.

The whine isn't that loud, and if someone told me that they all do that I'd believe them. It is not audible with the engine idling and bonnet up, only when driving along side a wall or hedge on the offside.

ITB'd MK1
did you change the lower aux belt idler?

it's not actually unusual for there to be a bit of a belt whine, the aux belt is very long and in contact with a lot of different pulleys, all with a resistance behind them

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Yes, every idler and tensioner supplied in the Renault auxbelt kit and Gates/SKF cambelt kit was replaced.

I will consider the whine normal for now, and just keep a keen ear in case it gets worse.

Thanks for your help :)

182/ 172 Cup
I'd say it's fairly normal. My 182 done it when I got it at 39k and still does it at 85k (no worse)
My 39k cup also does it.

monaco 172
Sounds like the same noise I have. I'm having my lower idler changed on Friday as I think it's that. I'll let h kno.