ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squeaking belts/pulleys

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Just a bit of advice wanted, my 182 has developed a permanent squeak from what I think is the aux belt area. It’s had the odd squeak on startup that belt area for a bit however this was generally only on very damp days. Anyway came to it today I seem to be getting a permanent and constant squeaking from the pulley area (I think) when driving around between 1500-3000 rpm, do you think it is it worth throwing an aux belt kit at it? My thinking is that it’s the aux tensioner being seized up and not providing adequate tension to the belt at certain revs. There aren’t any graunchy bearing sounds and going from lock to lock doesn’t seem to have any effect on the noise. It does however go away on idle but rev it up and let the revs drop and she will squeak as well as holding at the revs mentioned above.

I will try and get a video of it up if I can

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Check the crank pulley is not self destructing, The rubber in mine was shot. Also had the same issue when the pas pump was knackered, check all the rotating parts

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Have checked the crank pulley it looks sound.
I poured a litre of clean warm water on the belt (thinking that if the tensioner is seized it’s going to squeak like mad with water on it). It didn’t do that, however it seems to have stopped the squeaking altogether!
All I did today was remove the plastic under engine cover to clean it, maybe I contaminated the belt with grease/oil from the driveshaft change I did a few weeks ago

2003 Clio 172
Put a spot of paint on the inner and outer portion of the crank pulley on either side of the rubber.

Drive it for a bit or until you hear the noise again.

Take a look and see if the dots are no longer in line

If not, crank pulley

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
The rubber around my crank pulley is a little broken and cracked. I'm getting what sounds like a suspension squeak eveytime I hit even the smallest of bumps buy now I'm thinking it could be this. I'm guessing this can't be done without doing all the belts? My dephaser and belts were only done last year.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Put a spot of paint on the inner and outer portion of the crank pulley on either side of the rubber.

Drive it for a bit or until you hear the noise again.

Take a look and see if the dots are no longer in line

If not, crank pulley

jinjur from RMS?

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I believe It can be done without redoing the cambelt but you still need the locking tools to maintain timing due to the floating pulleys, non-keyed crank sprocket etc. I had my crank pulley changed by my garage earlier in the year as it was squealing like mad and only needed to replace the aux belt as it made sense to do whilst it was apart.