ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam belt dilemma ...

172 + R5
Hi guys

I recently bought a 172, low mileage, decent price, all seemed well. Thought I'd have a root around the engine bay the other weekend to get my bearings and to my dismay I found a bit of a mess ...
First noticed the aux belt tensioner has collapsed with the spring wearing a nice groove in the belt then on looking a little closer I see the belt area a whole lot oilyer than it should be ...
Reading up on threads it seems like it may be the cam seals that have gone ... And a bit of a job to replace.
There's 2 ways of doing it ...
1. D.I.Y
or
2. Pay a pro to do it

I've looked into price for belts and parts and would be able to do the job myself but I haven't got them darn cam timing tools. I would buy them but for a one use wonder and the price of them I thought I'd ask here if anyone had the tools that they could rent out for a weekend ? I got a jack, spanners and patients ...

Or ...

Should i take the car to a pro to have the work done for peace of mind ? Would be easier and less hassle IF I knew of a workshop that could do a spot on job of getting the timing spot on ... Or if any of you guys are accustomed to the job and interested in a little earner ?

So ... A few questions really ...
1. Could I rent the cam lock tools off someone please ...
2. Do you guys know of a reputable workshop that can do the work properly ...
3. Would any of you guys be interested in doing the work for me ...
I'm in Reading so about 20-30 miles to travel for tools ... A bit further for a pro.

Thanks in advance guys ... Great site ... wealth of knowledge ...

All the best.