ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which HANS?

Cayman S, RB 182
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a head and neck restraint but I'm not sure which one to go for.

I've narrowed it down to the Schroth version of the Hans 3 which is available for £250

Or the Simpson hybrid version which is £580.

I like the fact that the Schroth one is cheaper and matches my harnesses.

The Simpson one is more comfortable, has protection for side impacts, can be kept on while jumping in and out of the car, there is more chance that I will wear it every time I'm out on track, because of the above points, as well as the fact that it's so expensive ill want to get my money's worth out of it.

I have tried both in the car and I'm happy with both.

I'm just curious of what others are using and opinions on the above.

p.s. I am required to use one as I am planning on competing.

Cheers,
Neil

Clio 172
I went for the Simpson hybrid. It annoyed me to start with, but towards the end of last season I didn't really notice it. I did find I got in the car a lot sooner before the race though as it is more of a faff, so it's definitely less sociable.

I liked the idea of lateral protection and thought if I have to wear it I might as well max the protection.

Clio 172 (CUP)
I used this for sprinting last year, it meets spec and looked decent enough for my needs, so I decided I didn't need to spend more. I'm happy with it, the padding is limited but looked the same as used on the next model up. Glad I went for the larger size, it's still snug but comes off with the helmet (I don't unlatch the clips).

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/hans-devices/stand21-club-series-hans-device-950g

[Edit] ...also I wanted the lighter device

Cayman S, RB 182
Thanks for the input!
@Twofatladies how come the Simpson was a hassle? Do you mean more than a traditional hans device or in general having to wear something over nothing?

Clio 172
Thanks for the input!
@Twofatladies how come the Simpson was a hassle? Do you mean more than a traditional hans device or in general having to wear something over nothing?

Having to wear something was a pain. That's not a criticism of the device or the rule change or anything, but I just found it awkward to get used to. Clipping the device to the helmet was fiddly on your own. I did find it was easier to leave it attached. When they then hold you for ages after the race you want to whip off your helmet and with the device attached it was more of a pain putting the helmet down in the car.

These all sound fairly pathetic whines really! But I guess it was just easier before and everyone complains at change!

Cayman S, RB 182
Lol cool, I can see it taking a bit of getting used to whichever one I go for. Got to say I'm swaying towards the Simpson one

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Depends on what discipline you are using it for I think. I rally which means my helmet is constantly on and off, in and out of the car. Car turns into a BBQ after a stage then you have the road section and que for the next stage to get nicely cooked so I like to be able to unzip my suit to cool off a bit. For that reason I went for a Hans, I have a seat with head restraints so best of both worlds really.

I can see the advantages of the Simpson for track work but if you in and out of the car I would go with a Hans, the amount of times ive had to change into overalls to help fix the car I wouldn't want to be messing around taking the Simpson on and off.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Schroth Super Sport XLT (£250)

What discipline will you be competing in?
SLS super lap Scotland, so race contact shouldn't be an issue. Biggest problem will be an off track smash at knockhill. Demanding undulating track with runoff but a few walls at quick parts of the track......

Cayman S, RB 182
As Craig said above it will be for sls and track days.

I don't have winged seats, which has me leaning towards the Simpson one as it offers better side impact protection.

As there is plenty run off at knockhill I can see, if there was to be an accident, it being me spinning and someone crashing into me.

I like the idea of being able to keep it on when jumping out to set tyre pressures etc