ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel camber

clio 16v
can any1 think of a reason why my front left wheel has more camber than the right? Just noticed it the other day and its doin my head in.

Camber correction bolts.
Broken bottom ball joint
Missing bolt on the shock.
Might just look that way.

clio 16v
edde said:
Camber correction bolts.
Broken bottom ball joint
Missing bolt on the shock.
Might just look that way.

ok it doesnt have camber correction bolts, ball joint is fine and all the bolts are there cause I just put a new strut on last week.

jbennett1357 said:
ok it doesnt have camber correction bolts, ball joint is fine and all the bolts are there cause I just put a new strut on last week.
Did you put it all back together correctly.
If the camber was realy out you'd know and the shafts knock I had mine setup with somehting like 4 degrees (mk2 but same thing) and the shafts used to knock all the time.

See what the camber realy is then you'll now which side is wrong.

clio 16v
edde said:
Did you put it all back together correctly.
If the camber was realy out you'd know and the shafts knock I had mine setup with somehting like 4 degrees (mk2 but same thing) and the shafts used to knock all the time.

See what the camber realy is then you'll now which side is wrong.

if the camber is off on one side could the cause the front end to vibrate when u put the foot down?

I definetly put the strut back on rite ive checked like 5 times.

jbennett1357 said:
if the camber is off on one side could the cause the front end to vibrate when u put the foot down?

I definetly put the strut back on rite ive checked like 5 times.
A few things could cause this but this could be one yes.

Check the camber angles and you should be able to tell if there in specification or not.

Has the car hit a few curburbs/had a crash you might have bent the wishbone/subframe if so.

jbennett1357 said:
how do u check the camber angle?

definetly no damage to the subframe or wishbone
Two way one is to get a plump line and dangle it from the wheel then measure the distance from the line to the wheel at thye top and bottom if the car has negative camber then the top distance is bigger than the bottom.

Or similarly get a spitirt level and put it against your wheel and see which way the wheel is ie is there a gap at the top of bottom of the allow when the spriti level is straight.

clio 16v
the bottom sits further out than the bottom is that normal?

trid to upload a picture but it wont work for sum reason

jbennett1357 said:
the bottom sits further out than the bottom is that normal?

trid to upload a picture but it wont work for sum reason
Do you mean the top sits out more or the bottom sits out more?

clio 16v
lol i meant the bottom sits out further than the top which I am assuming is negetive camber?

haynes says a valver wheel camber should be -1 degree 33' +/- 30' and there can be up to 1 degree of difference between sides.

I understand the degrees but wots the ' all about

jbennett1357 said:
lol i meant the bottom sits out further than the top which I am assuming is negetive camber?

haynes says a valver wheel camber should be -1 degree 33' +/- 30' and there can be up to 1 degree of difference between sides.

I understand the degrees but wots the ' all about
The ' are minutes. 60 minutes in one degree.

Yep bottom out more than the top means negative camber.

clio 16v
rite I got ya. put it this way I just went out with a spirit level and one front wheel is pretty much at 0 degrees i.e no camber the other is at about 1 degree negetive camber. haynes says that is ok coz there can be one degree if difference between sides would you agree?

Also do you reckon the differences in camber could be due to the fact I only changed one shocker so I'm basically running shocks from different manufacturers on each side?

Cheers for ur help

jbennett1357 said:
rite I got ya. put it this way I just went out with a spirit level and one front wheel is pretty much at 0 degrees i.e no camber the other is at about 1 degree negetive camber. haynes says that is ok coz there can be one degree if difference between sides would you agree?

Also do you reckon the differences in camber could be due to the fact I only changed one shocker so I'm basically running shocks from different manufacturers on each side?
yep it could well be some aftermarket companies may have set the shock up so they have more camber built into them or it maybe the bolt holes have elongated a bit and the hole is stretched.
Although the standard may allow for that much difference I'd fix it I woulnd't be happy with 1 degree difference.

Your supposed to replace shocks two at a time ie both front at once.

You may also find that the bolts and ball joint holes since there not interfearance fit have some tiolderance all these can add up(hence the 1 degree allowance) but there no realson it cannot be brought back to tighter tolerances.

clio 16v
nice 1 mate cheers

im to use to workin on vauxhalls don't need to worry bout changin 2 shocks at once coz there built like tanks guess I'll change the other side see if it evens it up.