ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight adjustment / motor

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
I've noticed that the switch inside of the car doesn't move the headlights up and down (its a 172 Cup). As one of my main beam bulbs has gone and the wire is not connected to the supply I have to remove the headlight. I read that this means removing the front bumper so is there a guide to this and about the motors, do you think they are disconnected or f**ked? I can hear the motor working when I move the wheel switch up and down.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
The plastic rod the goes in and out for height adjustment came loose in mine

Depending on airbox setup you can get the motor out without removing the headlight. Removing the headlight is easier though.

Unplug cable. Bend tab on the headlight housing away. Rotate to release from headlight housing. If the end of the rod is still attached, this needs to be pushed down to release from the internal clip inside the headlight.

Some quick photos from a motor I have on the side for ref

PXL_20240419_094838374.jpg
PXL_20240419_094808892.jpg
PXL_20240419_094815534.jpg

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
There is probably a bumper off guide on forum but this helps to see. I put tape along the bumper join just in case the bumper pops up as it can scratch the paintwork - similar can happen to the headlight as well ask me how I know

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
They can be wound in and out manually with an allen bit. You can see on the second photo the worm drive (?) showing after I wound it out.
IMG_9202.jpeg
IMG_9203.jpeg

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Put mine about halfway, then adjusted it when back on the car using a wall to set it level (Engine on if its self levelling)

Does the motor work when you adjust the lights? (to confirm the motor works)
Did you have to unhook the ball from its mount or did it come out easily? (If it was disconnected inside the headlight)

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
I bought the BMW parts for the manual adjuster but both seem ok. I’ve put everything back now. There’s a wire for the main beam bulb that has come out of the connector inside the headlight itself. The only way to sort that is to open up the headlight. Not sure if it’s possible but there’s a screw and 3 clips that can come off so maybe it can be done.

To answer your question, both motors move the adjuster arm in and out when I move the dial. I’ve put it all back roughly equal on both sides. Both are wound in so the screw thread is not visible.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Lens will only come off with heat, best be avoided if possible! I have mangled a few experimenting, @SharpyClio did a great job recently in his thread

You can remove the bulb holders so hopefully a fix is doable

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
You can take the headlight apart, it needs some patience and ideally an oven. Tried with a heat gun but it didn’t work that well.

Managed to get it apart with limited damage (which is a miracle for me tbh).

Got some windscreen sealant and stuck it back together with some clamps. So it’s defo possible.

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
I'll have to find a way of connecting the loose wire to the live feed going into the connector. I'll use one of these for now but it won't be a permanent fix.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 6