ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel-bearing style rumbling

What else can cause a wheel-bearing style rumbling sound?

My ph1 172 started rumbling just after I bought it, and it's been getting steadily worse over the last few months. It sounds just like a wheel-bearing to me, so I changed them all, it's still there.....

It's definitely coming from the front, where it starts rumbling at around 15-20mph. It increases in volume as the speed increases, but perhaps not quite as much as any wheel-bearing failure I've had in the past. It sounds worse when there's a passenger in the front of the car as well (when there's more weight on the near-side). The only thing is, sometimes it's louder than others.

Has anybody got any ideas? I could be going on a few 500+ mile trips over the next couple of months, so I should really look into getting it sorted! :S

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Which side do you think it is?
Does it doing when your cornering?
Does it do it when your free rolling?
Does it get louder with speed?

Did you fit correct bearings?
Tracking/ allinment ok?
Driveshaft gaiters good?

I thought it was coming from the near-side. I'm sure it sounds louder from that side when there's a passenger in the front. Without a passenger though - It doesn't sound as side specific.

It doesn't increase in volume under cornering, UNLESS there's a passenger in the front. If so it gets louder when loading up the near-side-front.

It does it when free-rolling.

It doesn't really get louder with speed. It's at it's loudest between 40 and 50mph on smooth roads (where there's less road noise).

Oe Renault bearings fitted.

Alignment is all good.

Not sure about the driveshaft gaiters, but a mechanic friend has had it up on his ramps and not mentioned anything.

Tyres are pretty new Avons, with loads of tread left. I have swapped them back to front, with no change.

I've been told it could be the diff' bearings, but before hunting out another 'box I thought I'd see if any of the experts on here had any ideas.

Thanks for the replies so far :)

Clio 182 Fiat Coupe
It's just tyre noise, every one I've been in does it.

Save yourself some money and don't worry about it!

Really?

I've never been in one that's as noisy as this! I have to turn the stereo right up to drown it out!

It didn't do it when I got the car, and the tyres haven't worn down much.

I have a problem similar to this too. Could it be the wheel alignment or anything? I've had adjustable coilovers on it for about a month but haven't tracked it yet. (Getting it done tomorrow)

If the noise stops after it's been done I'll let you know.

could be gearbox ... input shaft bearing possibly?? mines doing it aswell and thats what it sounds like..does the noise sort of go when in neutral and coasting ??

Clio 182 Cup
I have the same problem at present, I checked the wheel bearings and all of them have no play. Anyway whilst driving to work this morning I noticed that it got louder when I drove on certain road types and became quieter on others. So I am going for the option of swapping tyres front to back to see if that clears it up.

Also how do you check the gearbox oil level and how do you fill it up?

cv joints ok? gearbox oil level ok and oil in decent condition?

My mate had a quick look around while he was doing the bearings and didn't notice anything. It's going back in there for an mot this month, so they'll be properly checked then. Tbh, I haven't checked the gearbox oil (always overlook the simple things :D ). I know the oil was changed a year or so before I got the car though, as the 'box was partially rebuilt due to a worn second gear synchro.

could be gearbox ... input shaft bearing possibly?? mines doing it aswell and thats what it sounds like..does the noise sort of go when in neutral and coasting ??

The noise doesn't change whether it's in gear, out of gear, on the throttle, or off the throttle.

How bad was the rear bearings before they where changed?

The bearings had no play in them, but the discs were shot so I replaced the discs/bearings all together.

I have the same problem at present, I checked the wheel bearings and all of them have no play. Anyway whilst driving to work this morning I noticed that it got louder when I drove on certain road types and became quieter on others. So I am going for the option of swapping tyres front to back to see if that clears it up.

Mine does that. I swapped my tyres round and it didn't change. I don't believe it to be tyre noise though, as it's too loud imo. I have got some spare 15's with tyres, but they're currently 100 miles away from me, so I can't try them out.

www.renparts.co.uk
Have you thought about rotating the position of your wheels just to rule the tyres out, swap that one with a rear one, see if you have any change. Most issues with the drivetrain tend to change if there is load / no load.

Well I spent lunchtime getting it mot'd (which it passed with flying colours :-D ).

While it was up on the ramp, we investigated the noise. It still does it with the wheels off the ground, eliminating tyre noise. It's definitely coming from the near side. What we did find with the engine off is that on every rotation of the n/s/f wheel, there's a 'tick' sound.

The conclusion is that it's either the inner cv joint, or something in the 'box. Time for a new driveshaft first, and hope it's that.....

2002 Clio 172
I believe I'm experiencing the same noise.

At first I thought it was road noise through the wheels but it gets louder when backing off so I thought drivetrain.

I replaced my Elftrans gbox oil which was only 8000km old with Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil and the noise was reduced by about 50%.

Last weekend I swapped my 16's to my 15 inch track wheels and now the sound is barely there, I have to concentrate to hear it.

I'm fairly sure the noise is gbox related but why did the wheel swap change the noise.

Anyone else with ideas?

I'm driving an ph2 clio172 but I've also got a ph1. I'm assuming the gbox is a straight swap or am I wrong. Maybe a speedo drive issue.

While I'm asking questions, are ph1 and ph2 wheels swappable?