ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel alignment advice needed.

Ills

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all, I'm in need of some advice to get my 182 (non cup-suspension) driving straight again!
Last year I fitted 172 cup shocks, cooksport springs and camber bolts. I had the car aligned and it drove fine for a year.

c88d3f2289d24c728dcba1c6a332cf71.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to pick up a nail in one of my front tyres so ended up replacing both fronts. Around the same time as this the car started pulling quite heavily to the left, especially noticeable on the motorway. It did it under acceleration, coasting and braking.
I've just had the car aligned again and whilst it marginally better it's still pulling to the left.

e2edaf14da1e84ab1d9c210fac0e2856.jpg

The thing that sticks out to me is the RHR toe which is +3.10. Is it possible that corner has taken a wack with a pothole or something similar (it's not been bashed into any kerbs) and the toe in is causing the pulling to the left?

Thanks!

monaco 172
Had the exact same issue.
Turned out it was the odd tyre on the front.

Rear toe will be a bent stub axel or beam.

I corrected mine with some stub axel shims from pure motorsport. Much easier than changing the beam.

Stub is easy to change but it wasn't obvious weather it was caused by a bent beam or stub so didn't want to waste the money on a new stub to find it was the beam.

Ills

ClioSport Club Member
I will swap the wheels front to back tomorrow and see what happens. It had 2 new tyres at the same time which is why I didn't immediately suspect a wheel/tyre issue.

PH2 172
Hi all, I'm in need of some advice to get my 182 (non cup-suspension) driving straight again!
Last year I fitted 172 cup shocks, cooksport springs and camber bolts. I had the car aligned and it drove fine for a year.

c88d3f2289d24c728dcba1c6a332cf71.jpg
Is it possible that corner has taken a wack with a pothole or something similar (it's not been bashed into any kerbs) and the toe in is causing the pulling to the left?

Thanks!
Is it possible that the RHR wheel bearing needs replacing, or that the tech that knew what he was doing has left for better money?

Ills

ClioSport Club Member
Same guy, same place. Rear discs (with bearings) were changed earlier this year although that doesn't guarantee it's not on the way out- no noise or any other signs.

cup 182
My car wants to drift right when driving and I need to hold the steering wheel firmly and slightly left to keep it straight
IV had hunter wheel alignment twice and the front wheels balanced as there was a wobble above 70mph and it's not solved.
It's fitted with coilover suspension so don't know if that's related

Ills

ClioSport Club Member
Put the tyres on the back.

Let me know how you get on
So I swapped the wheels front to back and it made no difference whatsoever [emoji853]Where do I go from here? Should I be concentrating on sorting out the toe on the RHR? Is that likely to causing/ contributing to the problem? Or should I try and get it aligned again?

PH2 172
So I swapped the wheels front to back and it made no difference whatsoever [emoji853]Where do I go from here? Should I be concentrating on sorting out the toe on the RHR? Is that likely to causing/ contributing to the problem? Or should I try and get it aligned again?

Rather than pay for yet another alignment, which will likely return the same result, and there is ONLY 0.1 mm difference in the rear toe left to right, which is not likely to cause what you describe, check that none of the brakes are binding.

As an after thought, you are still running OE conventional PAS, not EPAS?

Ills

ClioSport Club Member
Rather than pay for yet another alignment, which will likely return the same result, and there is ONLY 0.1 mm difference in the rear toe left to right, which is not likely to cause what you describe, check that none of the brakes are binding.

As an after thought, you are still running OE conventional PAS, not EPAS?

That's a good point, I suppose whilst +3.1 looks like a big number on the print out it's still a tiny amount!
Will check the brakes later, don't know why I didn't think to check yesterday when I was swapping wheels.

One more annoying thing I did notice is that both rears that are now on the front also have nails in them [emoji35]Ten years of driving and never having a puncture then I get 3 nails in the space of a few weeks!

And yep, still got the standard PAS.

PH2 172
That's a good point, I suppose whilst +3.1 looks like a big number on the print out it's still a tiny amount!
Will check the brakes later, don't know why I didn't think to check yesterday when I was swapping wheels.

One more annoying thing I did notice is that both rears that are now on the front also have nails in them [emoji35]Ten years of driving and never having a puncture then I get 3 nails in the space of a few weeks!

And yep, still got the standard PAS.

Standard PAS rules out angle sensor, so that`s good.

3.1 looks big as we are familiar with readouts in degree`s & minute`s.
I`m not 100% sure how to read the printout from this new kit they have, but one thing that does concern me is that the data they are using is for CB0M, the PH1 172 with a narrower front track.
Can you ask them to check out the alignment with the old kit if they still have it?

Bad luck with the nails, while you are at the tyre place, keep your fingers crossed & pull them out, as you will be in the right place to sort it, if they leak.

Ills

ClioSport Club Member
I will query it with the alignment guy and see what he says.
I've been too hungover today to start taking the car apart but I've just done the really scientific test of driving a couple of junctions down the motorway and touching each brake disc, not much in it but the LHF was hotter than the others. I'll whip it apart during the week and see what's going on.

PH2 172
I will query it with the alignment guy and see what he says.
I've been too hungover today to start taking the car apart but I've just done the really scientific test of driving a couple of junctions down the motorway and touching each brake disc, not much in it but the LHF was hotter than the others. I'll whip it apart during the week and see what's going on.
I just woke up, thought I was going to be late for work, before I realised it was still today.

PH2 172
My car wants to drift right when driving and I need to hold the steering wheel firmly and slightly left to keep it straight
IV had hunter wheel alignment twice and the front wheels balanced as there was a wobble above 70mph and it's not solved.
It's fitted with coilover suspension so don't know if that's related
This will keep you busy.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=2EX-iEkKdz4C&pg=PT75&lpg=PT75&dq=PINK+FAIRIES+LSD+LSD+GETS+YOU+WHERE+YOU+WANT+TO+BE&source=bl&ots=Idp2Rr3DQC&sig=ZUHLsh52LhaNHfuRQfhu3lS6W4k&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjCoKyw2_rUAhXIBcAKHb77DB0Q6AEIODAD#v=onepage&q=PINK FAIRIES LSD LSD GETS YOU WHERE YOU WANT TO BE&f=false