ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bilstein B14 Spring Binding at low speeds

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
Hi folks, I’m looking for some Bilstein B14 suspension set-up advice!

I’ve recently fitted a low mileage second hand set of Bilstein B14’s with K-Tec solid top mounts (also second hand) to my Phase 1. Unfortunately I’m getting a lot of binding (pinging) from the springs at low speed cornering (mostly car park manoeuvres), especially from the front left but also sometimes the front right. I’ve tried lowering the ride height, but that hasn’t helped. If I raise it any more, the car will look like a monster truck...

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before and managed to rectify it? I have a feeling it could be related to the bearings in the top mounts, but I’m not sure. I haven't had the car professionally aligned yet, so that might not be helping either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like a top mount issue, I have had similar problems on other cars. Can they be re greased or are they sealed?

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like a top mount issue, I have had similar problems on other cars. Can they be re greased or are they sealed?
I had a feeling it might be the case. K-TEC offer a servicing kit containing: "2 x replacement bearings - 2 x seal ring shims - 2 x retaining circlips" so it seems like I'll be able to open them up! I just didn't fancy pulling the coilovers to bits as I've never disassembled/assembled one before 😅

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
What grease or what would you use ob the mounts to free them up if dry?
Moly grease is best, a think layer on the end of the springs will help also, there should be a plastic spacer between the spring and helper spring, just incase this is missing

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
Just be aware that you may have to press the new bearings in via a hydraulic press @chazza114
I never actually took them apart in the end! Getting the car aligned and the ride height dialled in did help to reduce the binding, but it still occurs doing car park manoeuvres.

I’ll probably strip them down over winter and get someone to fit some new bearings for me.