ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats the difference between 172sport & a cup

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Laingo said:
Or by Marks weighings 30 3kg headlamp washers!!! LOL!!

I know...random guess! What you see of the headlighht washer is only the exterior bit, are there not mountings behind the bumper? Do FF and Cups run the same washer pump? I'd have thought the FF pump would need to be more potent (heavier) to deal with the high pressure needed for headlight washing. Then there's the washer-liquid filled pipe feeding the headlight jets, gotta weigh a few hundred grams there too...

Alright then...how about 2kgs for the headlight washers?

Laingo said:
Which basically means you're clutching at straws.

I'm not clutching at anything. Merely guessing. The fact is that the Cup weighs 90kg less, and I dont see why Renault would need to lie about where they made the savings? Maybe the bullshitted us and and made a bespoke carbon fibre bodyshell disguised as a steel one?? Waddya reckon?

It's 90kg lighter, get over it already FFS :evil:

VaVa
MarkCup said:
I know...random guess! What you see of the headlighht washer is only the exterior bit, are there not mountings behind the bumper? Do FF and Cups run the same washer pump? I'd have thought the FF pump would need to be more potent (heavier) to deal with the high pressure needed for headlight washing. Then there's the washer-liquid filled pipe feeding the headlight jets, gotta weigh a few hundred grams there too...

Alright then...how about 2kgs for the headlight washers?

LOL.... 1.5kg?

VaVa
Roy Munson said:
I'm not clutching at anything. Merely guessing. The fact is that the Cup weighs 90kg less, and I dont see why Renault would need to lie about where they made the savings? Maybe the bullsh*tted us and and made a bespoke carbon fibre bodyshell disguised as a steel one?? Waddya reckon?

It's 90kg lighter, get over it already FFS :evil:

It just interests me, that's all. They were shrewd enough to sell the 182 Cup off the back of the sucess of the 172, without actually doing anything remarkable to the 182 other than making it cheaper. I mean who'd have though that Renault were capable of such things? And who'd be gullible enough to buy one of them? ;)

It's mainly spin and marketing Roy. Bit like the Trophy dampers :quiet:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
--- Sad B4$tard Alert ---

LOL...

I just phoned RAC Windscreens to find out how much glass weighs in your average car, so off he goes to check (windscreens have the weight marked on them) - "windscreens are about 15-20 kgs sir"

"So, throw in a back and side windows, and you're looking at 50+ kgs for your average car"

"Yep, I'd say that's not far wrong. May I ask why you're asking sir?"

"Of course, I'm a sad b4$tard and on my car club forum we're discussing weight savings as my car supposedly has thinner glass than the standard car to save weight. I was trying to get an idea of how much?"

"Have you got one of them Clio's then sir?"

"F*** me, how did you know that?"

He must have one himself or know someone who has one surely?

Lionel Richie
have any of you experts ever felt the weight of the ABS pump on your fat boy cars??? no, didn't think so

have any of you experts felt the weight of the aircon pump, rad etc etc of your fat boy aircon system

computer says no

;)

I always find it interesting to note that it's almost always FF172 drivers who have a chip on each shoulder about the weight thing. You'd have thought with a piffling 154/ton they'd appreciate every extra pound shed ;)

Ziel Nurburgring
Not when we're sitting in leather comfort at a chilly 16c, when those unfortunate cup drivers have to have their windows down to get it cooler than 30c as the sun beats through their non reflective screen ;)

Cups are by far the best out the bunch, if you use its abilities.

Yeah I must admit I'd rather have the marketing spin 182Cup and a set of cool stones than a 172Cup and being unable to have children due to my lack of swimmers. I simply couldnt live without AC. I'd rather have the heavier car and cut off my right tit, but then I have 10bhp more :clown:

lol at Mark, good investigative work there!

I've no reason to believe that 89kgs haven't been shed, why be dishonest about such a thing? But then I also believe air-con is pretty pointless in this country too unless you spend all day on the road (I have a Cup as a daily driver, probably one or two days per year when I've really wanted ac, hardly worth it for that imo)

VaVa
Roy Munson said:
I always find it interesting to note that it's almost always FF172 drivers who have a chip on each shoulder about the weight thing. You'd have thought with a piffling 154/ton they'd appreciate every extra pound shed ;)

156 actually. ;) Although mines 184 bhp and about 25 kg lighter than stock, going by Marks weights lol. ;)

I don't have a chip on my shoulder - I've already said that I'm just interested. 90kg is a lot of weight and a first glance the items on that list didn't realy seem to add up to much, that's all.

Seems that it's the Cup owners on the defensive as usual ;)

VaVa
ukaskew said:
lol at Mark, good investigative work there!

I've no reason to believe that 89kgs haven't been shed, why be dishonest about such a thing? But then I also believe air-con is pretty pointless in this country too unless you spend all day on the road (I have a Cup as a daily driver, probably one or two days per year when I've really wanted ac, hardly worth it for that imo)

Fair enough, but it's usually only people who don't have it say that it's useless. We've had four or five weeks of consistently warm muggy weather - CC has been a god send.

Oh and why be dis honest? To sell cars. A bit like the bucket seats and roll cage options that where coming for the 172 but never appeared......

VaVa
MarkCup said:
--- Sad B4$tard Alert ---

LOL...

I just phoned RAC Windscreens to find out how much glass weighs in your average car, so off he goes to check (windscreens have the weight marked on them) - "windscreens are about 15-20 kgs sir"

"So, throw in a back and side windows, and you're looking at 50+ kgs for your average car"

"Yep, I'd say that's not far wrong. May I ask why you're asking sir?"

"Of course, I'm a sad b4$tard and on my car club forum we're discussing weight savings as my car supposedly has thinner glass than the standard car to save weight. I was trying to get an idea of how much?"

"Have you got one of them Clio's then sir?"

"F*** me, how did you know that?"

He must have one himself or know someone who has one surely?

So he guessed at the weight of the windscreen, and you put words into his mouth as to how heavy the lot would be..... I'm not taking that as reliable evidence, sorry.

And pmsl at you actually ringing them up!! LOL!!:approve: :D :D :D

Ziel Nurburgring
So 50kg's for your average car, say 40kgs for the cups lighter glass? So thats 10kg's saved there?

evilb66

ClioSport Club Member
  '02 172
have any of you ever felt how heavy the rear headrests are? most of the 89 kg came from that. ps and a standard 172 trophy seat weighs 18.5 kg. each.
I bet the cup ones dont. I live in australia and I would happily go without air con. I'm trying to remove mine in my 172 trophy as we never got 172 cups over here.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Ahhh another of the good old Cup Vs FF threads....

To the OP...YOU FOOL!!! Surely you should know how the search facility works!?!
Now we have another inter Clio Pissing Contest on our hands!
Hehe.:D

Ahh well, heres my pennies worth....FF's are for big girls blouses and for those who claim that ABS is essential for driving in the wet otherwise you will DIE.
The same people also shout "ooooh its killing season for Cups!!" whenever there is moisture in the air....;)

All in all these traits point towards a commonly known disease on CS called Cup Envy.
172 FF owners have it mostly.
Cup and 182 owners get on swimmingly.....172 FF owners are the trouble makers!:rasp:

clio 172 cup
lets put it this way,i own a cup and i'm definately glad the warmer dryer weathers getting here!!!!!
had a very hairy moment in mine the other,came over a bit of a blind hill abit quick and there was a car stopped in front of me,braked skidded had to go on grass verge to miss him........ nearly hit a telegraph pole!!!!!
luckily only ripped the front splitter off.....
had to go home and change my pants after that little episode:dead::dead::dead:

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
lets put it this way,i own a cup and i'm definately glad the warmer dryer weathers getting here!!!!!
had a very hairy moment in mine the other,came over a bit of a blind hill abit quick and there was a car stopped in front of me,braked skidded had to go on grass verge to miss him........ nearly hit a telegraph pole!!!!!

but then uill need air con :cool:

You see it makes a driver sad all year round. Scared to break in the winter, and uncomfortable to drive in the baking summer sun.

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP

You see it makes a driver sad all year round. Scared to break in the winter, and uncomfortable to drive in the baking summer sun.

Windows Down, Foot Down, Big Smile, Problem Solved :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Why would i be scared to brake in the winter? Nothing, including ABS works on ice......... As said above, he was going to quick. For some misguided reason, people on this forum think ABS stops crashes and is the most wonderfull thing ever. You only have to look at a Cup and it'll crash.....I have said before, what happened before the mid 90's as ABS was only fitted to merc's etc?. 99% of the time its the drivers fault giving it too much right foot, not the car.

Last edited:
  Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Nothing to do with the weather muppet, it's all about reading the road and pushing on at appropriate times/places! I've never had the ABS kick in on any car for the past 10 years, I don't exactly hang around!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
finally, sense!!!!, the clue is in the paragraph, BLIND HILL..... well if its blind, slow sown lol!!!!

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member

Why would i be scared to brake in the winter? Nothing, including ABS works on ice......... As said above, he was going to quick. For some misguided reason, people on this forum think ABS stops crashes and is the most wonderfull thing ever. You only have to look at a Cup and it'll crash.....I have said before, what happened before the mid 90's as ABS was only fitted to merc's etc?. 99% of the time its the drivers fault giving it too much right foot, not the car.

got to be pretty unfortunate to have ice all winter and no rain.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
All you people who drive Cups in the winter constantly worrying or nearly ALWAYS having accidents, learn to drive properly!!

Its wet, slow down, pay attention.
Its cold or icy, slow down, pay attention ( actually that goes for everyone...ABS DOESN'T SAVE YOU ON ICE)

And to those of you who always hide snugly behind your "i have ABS so im safe, you have a Cup so you will surely crash and burn" argument, i recommend you don't drive ANY CAR without ABS...Mk1 Elises, 80's hot hatches...and all those other death traps in the wet....because like with the Cup...you will surely DIE.:rolleyes:

Honestly people, if you have half an ounce of driving ability and basic common sense, driving a Cup in the wet is no less dangerous than driving it in the dry.

titanium 182,
All you people who drive Cups in the winter constantly worrying or nearly ALWAYS having accidents, learn to drive properly!!

Its wet, slow down, pay attention.
Its cold or icy, slow down, pay attention ( actually that goes for everyone...ABS DOESN'T SAVE YOU ON ICE)

And to those of you who always hide snugly behind your "i have ABS so im safe, you have a Cup so you will surely crash and burn" argument, i recommend you don't drive ANY CAR without ABS...Mk1 Elises, 80's hot hatches...and all those other death traps in the wet....because like with the Cup...you will surely DIE.:rolleyes:

Honestly people, if you have half an ounce of driving ability and basic common sense, driving a Cup in the wet is no less dangerous than driving it in the dry.
very true m8 there is to much emphasis on esp etc these days
and it only makes for false promises as ollie says you drive to the conditions of the road etc its common sense really never rely on driver aids :nono: