ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What the most BHP some one has had in a clio ?

Rb Clio 182
I know every one likes to turn there car in to a track day

But on a seriouse note as soon as i get another clio i am wanting to turbo it and make a some thing different

So what is the most bhp some on has got out of a clio with and with out a turbo

Last edited:
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
probably MATT BLACK's old VAG engined one but when Norm owned it. Can't remember what figures it did though.
K-Tec's current 400~bhp one and Stevie H's trophy are the biggest power F4R's I can think of in clios

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I don't think any of them would really be amazing on track. All very much exercises in as much as possible, just because, and Stevie and K-Tec's cars to the absolute highest standards possible in every detail. I've not seen Stevies car in person, but I'm told it's faultlessly prepared

387bhp RB Trophy SC
Mines running 387bhp supercharged, going to be fitting 100bhp shot of direct port wizards of nos soon for Santa Pod.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
He did say without a turbo so n/a.

He said with and without, so both.

500 turbo and 250 n/a should both pretty easy to achieve if you have very deep pockets.

Gearbox wont like the torque of the turbo or the revs of the N/a though at those levels though.

300 turbo or 220 n/a is about as far as I would personally go in a clio I wanted to have some hope of keeping in one piece and of being able to actually use the power.

Only way I would personally want a 500bhp+ clio is if it was a V6 shell to start with (ie mid engined), as at least then you can use the power a lot more easily.

But if you are into drag racing then obviously its different as a set of drag slicks and 700bhp or whatever go well together even in FWD form.

Scoff had 670bhp out of a Turbo'd F4R, not sure if its even more now? That was in his R5 though.

Pretty sure motorsport spec N/A F4Rs can break 300bhp to.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Scoff had 670bhp out of a Turbo'd F4R, not sure if its even more now? That was in his R5 though.

Pretty sure motorsport spec N/A F4Rs can break 300bhp to.

Ive never heard of one, 270-280 seems to be about the ceiling, but I dare say someone somewhere has cracked 300 for N/A drag racing or similar.

would be epically unreliable though of course, lol

emc

172 Cup
Just wondering if you can fit a Megane engine in a clio? Mate asked me if it was possible and I had no idea.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I've had this debate with steve about his turbo trophy many a time, apparently it was really addaptable on track due to the way the ecu was set up with the boost. I for one know it would be very well preppared and I'm very well looking forward to the next installmant, it's going to be one of a kind and is set to upset some of the well known 'renault' tuners out there :) A hell of a lot of time and research has went into it, majority of the work and thought process done by himself which I can only admire as it's not something I could ever manage

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Just wondering if you can fit a Megane engine in a clio? Mate asked me if it was possible and I had no idea.

Search for Andyrg's project thread, he fitted Megane head, pistons etc to Clio bottom end. Sure I've read Fred say its possible to put the Megane engine in but gearbox is very tight fit.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've had this debate with steve about his turbo trophy many a time, apparently it was really addaptable on track due to the way the ecu was set up with the boost. I for one know it would be very well preppared and I'm very well looking forward to the next installmant, it's going to be one of a kind and is set to upset some of the well known 'renault' tuners out there :) A hell of a lot of time and research has went into it, majority of the work and thought process done by himself which I can only admire as it's not something I could ever manage

If you map the boost control so that it uses a 3d table with boost value set based on a lookup of TPS vs RPM it makes them far more driveable.
I mapped a very lightweight trackday 400bhp astra this way and it was very driveable afterwards.
But it still doesnt change the fact that the only place you can really use full power is on the straights, and it seemed a bit pointless to me to be doing 150mph on the straights, just meant you ended up working the brakes even harder just to end up at the same speed for the next bend anyway.
It really does get to a stage where there isnt much point IMHO

Rb Clio 182
just woundered what sort of power people has put in to a clio and still used it on the road

As i want to build a turbo clio just finding all the info out i can as i am still wanting to run it on the road

I want it as a kind of sleeper so no one knows whats in it as theres quiet alot of them down my way E.G corsa vxr with astra engine in , a mx5 with a sr20det pulsar engine in .

Just fancied building one my self ")

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nothing will just bolt straight on easily.

A couple of people have fitted a VAG box, but its not especially trivial.

Or of course there is the option of swapping the engine and box for a complete setup from another car, again the VAG 1.8T route is popular.

Personally Im putting a Vtec turbo engine and box in my mk1 for example.

Listerine & Poledo
what about tuned Vee's?

Any blown bent-six lumps out there churning out big figures?

No-one was getting specific over what Clio ;)

Rb Clio 182
Clio 182 . I know there's lots of work in putting a 225 engine in but the box is to big and a fair bit of work to put in ") But the big question is ..... is it possable ?? if you dont care how long or how much it cost's ?

I have searched and got lots on info on what i need and what i need to do on turboing a clio 182 .

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes of course its possible, but just accept you might have to get an angle grinder out to your chassis.
(ive had to cut the chassis rails totally out of my mk1 for example)

Listerine & Poledo
How many cubes could you stuff into the back of a Vee I wonder?

Sure, it'll only make the thing even more unstable, but... a longitudinaly mounted Vee12? nomnomnom

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
How many cubes could you stuff into the back of a Vee I wonder?

Sure, it'll only make the thing even more unstable, but... a longitudinaly mounted Vee12? nomnomnom

Twin turbo LS7 is quite easy to get to 1000bhp and still reliable, so I cant really see the point in anymore cubes than 7 litres having driven my nova with only half that.

Listerine & Poledo
You know me Chip, it's all about cylinders & revs. Hell, it could be a 2500cc V12 as far as I care, so long as it's got revs

182 Turbo
just woundered what sort of power people has put in to a clio and still used it on the road

As i want to build a turbo clio just finding all the info out i can as i am still wanting to run it on the road

I want it as a kind of sleeper so no one knows whats in it as theres quiet alot of them down my way E.G corsa vxr with astra engine in , a mx5 with a sr20det pulsar engine in .

I use a 260 bhp turbo clio on the road and as a daily, not really come up against anything I couldnt beat yet , and it's 100% sleeper, no signs of being turbo'd at all

SG9 Forester STi

Mines 257bhp on NOS although that's obviously not as a daily (207bhp without). Surely one of the biggest limitations is the gearbox, the ones I've had (not helped by the short shifter which is out the window on my next box) are made of cheese.

LSD is definitely a must I reckon, unless you like wheelspin. I really should save for one.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

LOL.

Seriously?

Rb Clio 182
Wow I can't remember LOL being in the english dictionary actually !! don't start on this thread as i will get it locked !!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I really cant understand why some people seemingly choose to dedicate their lives to hunting down typing mistakes on the internet.