ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What inspired you to buy a Clio

What made you decide to buy a clio?

for me it was its potential. I had a picture of one and photoshopped it. I liked it a lot so went and tested a clio, a 206, a fiesta, saxo and corsa. The Clio came out on top :D

Mondeo STTDCI

I wanted a new car with free insurance. At the time Ford were doing it but only on Kas, I didnt like the Corsas of the Saxos as there were too many about.

Plus at the time the Clio was a relatively newish shape. So i bought one.

As for my pending 182 purchase I got it becos, well...its a 182 innit!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

I sat in a V6 and the seats fit me perfectly, also the driving persisions was prefect for me. I then looked at specs insurance and Tax, and it offers better power and valuve for money than any other alternative.

I decided I wanted a Clio1.4 for my first car before I even knew what a clutch was (At 16 lol ;))! No idea why, it was different, wasnt a Saxo a fiesta etc!

Then I passed my test and waited 8 months before I bought a car. In that time I researched every statistic you could on every hot hatch! the Clio came out top all rounder! Pluss I learnt in a new 1.4 16v!

C4 Grand Picasso

It looked the nicest car in its class at the time (especially in black). There is a Fiat dealer next to Renault, the plan was to test the Clio then the Punto - but the Clio was great, very quiet and comfy compared to the J-plate Clio I was driving at the time and the dealer was very helpful, offered me a cuppa - and offered me a deal which I was very pleased with - now have done 19 months of happy trouble free motoring.

I wanted a Clio because, its the best car you can get for a grand, options, cheap insurance etc. But the main reason was the headlights, they were made for a bad boy bonnet!

And now I want a 16v cause its got wide arches!

Lee

BMW M2C

I lost my company car and wanted something similar to my old 306 GTi-6. I thought that would be a CTR, but I didnt really like it plus my g/f at the time hated it with a passion. We took a Clio out for a test drive and both loved it. So I purcased a new 172, and 16 months later a 182.

I got the 182 because its new, cheap and certainly a big improvement.

Owned an RB5 Impreza that was costing a heap of cash just to keep on the road (no faults or anything just normal servicing, fuel ,insurance and Optimax etc). Decided I wanted one of them there Cups as i couldnt see anything else that offered the same performance per £ ratio without buying older. Was also still suffering withdrawal symptoms after parting with my 160 bhp 106 Gti beast prior to the Scoob experience and therefore in need of some old Skool hot hatch action.

Of course it helps to know that Cups are quicker than some Scoobs too ;)

Id been driving my sh*tbox Ford Orion for 3 years since finishing Uni, sorted my finances, bought a house and the car went bang. The 172 was featured in one of the import magazines as being a really good bargain and Motorpoint where listed as one of the best places to get them. So I couldnt resist.

Plus IMHO its the best looking hot hatch (maybe beaten by the V6), theres something about it that sets it apart from everything in the same class. Id actually bought the car before Id even driven one, I did have a go in a 1.2 a while back and enjoyed it so I wasnt that worried. After a go in the Renault Manchester demonstrator (Parts Managers car) I knew Id made the right choice, and that includes seeing the Cup.

[Edited by andrewm on 7/28/2004 7:43:37 PM]

black golf v6 4 motion

the free ins done it for me coz when i bought the clio i wasnt "into cars" at all then it all started from then

H22A7 Accord Type R

the value for money and the spec!!! all the toys for the right price, free insurance helped too......Love it!

was driving a mk3 astra at the time, 1.4 Si....

it was on its last legs due to rust etc, and i wanted something that i could insure, but would be fairly rapid, and handle well, and ofcourse, wasnt a 106 or saxo

i thought clios were girls cars, then a m8 took me out in a valver, and a month later i bought one

and now theres money in the bank with willy engine written all over it

Id done my time in my Ren 19 1.4, so after three years id got the insurance down a bit. I knew the Cups were quick so after having a test drive i went and bought one.

Looking back now id wished id looked into buying something a bit older but when i take the Clio out i realise why i got it and im glad i did.

I wanted a 1.6 16V as I thought fecking hell 110BHP is gonna shift in a clio! I then heard of the 2 litre mk1 now and thought bloody hell 2lires in a clio and 172 bhp, its not like a 2litre mondeo 130bhp engine either. After that I was absolutly hooked but wasnt in a position to buy one.

Then in 2002 when the cup came out I thought OMG not only 2 litres but a lightweight version. ALways admired cup in EVO and only ever saw one on the road!

So I then bought a scooby turbo (like you do) Fortunatly I wrote it off after two weeks and then was looking for another scoob in Cirencester and opposite the garage was a renault dealer.

The rest as they say is history!

Owned an RB5 Impreza that was costing a heap of cash just to keep on the road (no faults or anything just normal servicing, fuel ,insurance and Optimax etc). Decided I wanted one of them there Cups as i couldnt see anything else that offered the same performance per £ ratio without buying older. Was also still suffering withdrawal symptoms after parting with my 160 bhp 106 Gti beast prior to the Scoob experience and therefore in need of some old Skool hot hatch action.

Of course it helps to know that Cups are quicker than some Scoobs too ;)

Exactly the same except replace RB5 for lightly modded UK Turbo and 106 GTI for Saxo VTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 28 July 2004

ive wanted a mk1 172 since they came out in 2000
Same here, although at the time couldnt afford one so I bought the 1.4 16v instead...1 year later i bought my mk1 172 and still loving it

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Needed a faster car after having a vtr for 2 years so I decided I wanted a 2 litre hot hatch. Looked at a Gti-6 and the dealer wouldnt take part-ex, looked at a Williams 2 and they did. Sold!

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

When Jersey on holiday, went out for a spin in a mates mint Williams 3 over there. LOVED it, and was sooo blown away by it. Soon as I got back, I got one :D

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I had a Diesel Primera, and one day though, hmm I fancy a new(ish) hot hatch.

So hence bought a 14month old 172, then swapped it for a brand new 182 :D

Black 172

Well after having a corsa for 3 years i decided to look for something newer so i went and was offered a test drive int he car i have bought and i fell in luuuurrrrve

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

After hating my corsa and then crashing it I really didnt want another Vauxhall and still dont. Decided against a Fiesta cos I only liked the Zetec S but couldnt insure it, Polos were too old for the money so it was between the neaarly 3 year old Clio and a brand new base spec punto. Clio won cos of the decent spec, bigger engine and looks better.

Bought mine on impulse, just had a payrise and it covered the monthly finance payments.

Now hooked on the things - now waiting till February (im 25) then insurance gets pretty reasonable for a 172 ;)

leon cupra R

i was into motorbikes and i had no choice because me mom brought me the clio and it slowly growed on me

I had lots of other cars and they all broke down so I thought what country have people who drive like idiots and hammer there cars?.....................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm French ! so I bought a clio and another one etc etc

172, Tiguan

Free Insurance, then the second one because i got a deal on the Dci, then the last one because I wanted it, lol.

i had a megane at the time. Took it in for a service and the coutesy car was a clio, liked it nippiness and handling, so when i went to pick up the megane i asked how much he would part ex it for. Found the 1.6 s.i sitting on the forecourt, took it out for a test drive and bought it same day. Now im hooked on them, and been in today enquiring about a 182.:D

Camel

I was totld by my girlfriend I wanted one, Iwas a golf fanatic, test drove a mrk1 172 and bought it, amazinglittle car love driving it cant get any better.....until I save up enough for a V6

My Mk4 Golf Gti was stolen from my garage while I was asleep. Insurance company paid out within 4 weeks and gave me £9k for the Golf which I thought was very good for a T plate, so I added some savings and had a budget of about 15K. In the end I bought a 182 on credit card at the local dealer with all the cup bits added. Looked at the new Golf, didnt like the interior or back end and also looked at Mini Cooper, the wifes idea, my god I am glad she didnt force me down that route.

I was inspired by the way the 182 looks on the road with the cup packages, a little bit mean with real presence.

Bought the Cup when we saw Ed Healey rag his Jean Ragnotti (sp) round the Ring in April. Looked really cool!

Id always wanted my own Ring car because every time we went, we went in Daves cars; Impreza and 944 Turbo. I felt that I could never drive to my best potential when thinking, "this isnt my car, if I deck it, I have some explaining to do!"

Came back from the Ring Sunday night, had put a deposit on a Cup with Climate over at Renault Solihull. Hadnt even driven one! Went for a test drive and picked it up that day. I loved it. No longer with us however, but my new one is growing on me.........

Trips to the Ring booked August bank holiday weekend and 3rd weekend in September. Should be fun!

i just think they look so aggresive and full of intent when approaching quickly from behind! i dont think theres a car in this price range which looks as good! and the fact that from the back and side it looks like a bog standard shopping trolley but still embarrasses supposedly quicker/better cars! and its a much lower insurance group than the equivalent hot hatches :D

i drive a valver btw!

E90

Needed a fast company car, Scooby WRX and TYPE R were too high on lease costs, Cooper S had a six month wait list, so I went fott clio, without a test drive, love it too bits, although it wasnt 1st on the list, it would be now if i came to replace it, or maybe the megane???

R

rich[182]

had to return then company car

had approx £13k to spend

wanted a NEW car

nothing else came close IMO

37-38mpg

love the headlights,front bumper, 2nd & 3rd gears

best looking hot hatch ever IMO, no exhaust tailpipe (DIFFERENT)

live 3 mins away from dealer !!!!!!!!!!!

Same as Rich, I was losing the company car, I wanted a new one, I had a budget of 11k and at that price there was no other choice but a 172 really.

Clio 182

Because theres nothing els ethat offers as much bhp per £££.

and it sounds awsome

and it is the best looking hot hatch of all time...imo of course!

Meg on pistonheads £6995

ADORED my Ren 19 RSi Turbo D for economy, performance and sports spec....

.......Clio was ONLY Turbo D with sport spec & air for 10K

(alloys, leather steering wheel, fogs, sports seats, rear spoiler)