ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Waxing In Winter

1.6 Ford Focus
I am thinking of giving my car 1 last wash and wax before the winter but I have been told by a few people now that it's too late to wax the car as winter is pretty much already here and I will end up waxing dirt into the paint.

Is that a load of toss or have I left things too late? I normally rinse, soap, dry and wax my car every month or two.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
How can you 'wax' dirt into the paint if you have washed it first.

So long as the car is clean and the bodywork is not 'too' cold then you will be fine!

Clio 172
How can you 'wax' dirt into the paint if you have washed it first.

So long as the car is clean and the bodywork is not 'too' cold then you will be fine!

As above. I'd clay it though 1st 2 get all the other contaminants off then wax it after.

You are leaving it quite late. But there is still time, if you have the guts to face the chilly weather. They say the first frost is your last chance.

Wash it well, and twice if needs be. You'd be amazed at the amount of dirt people can leave when they are in a rush.

F56 MINI Cooper S
cant go all winter without a wash, plus a soak of water then simply dry off will surely do more damage as there's no protection over the paintwork

Not a 320d
f**king load of bullshit. If you want to wax the car go for it. I move over from waxes to sealants at this time of year purely for durability, its the only time of year i use snowfoam and i use citrus stuff at that, i was planning on applying another layer of wax as the car is to be fully decontaminated of iron filings and other shite, its in a sorry state at the moment, however, looking at the weather i think im going to give it a miss and move straight to multiple layers of jetseal or ZFX'd Zaino Z5.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
f**king load of bullshit. If you want to wax the car go for it. I move over from waxes to sealants at this time of year purely for durability, its the only time of year i use snowfoam and i use citrus stuff at that, i was planning on applying another layer of wax as the car is to be fully decontaminated of iron filings and other shite, its in a sorry state at the moment, however, looking at the weather i think im going to give it a miss and move straight to multiple layers of jetseal or ZFX'd Zaino Z5.

Have you tried the Aquartz Iron Cut Cliotoby?
I have heard good reviews of this, but have no need to use it myself.
Just wondering.

Nimbus R27
+1 for the sealants. Ive just done the following to my nimbus:

wash
clay
wash
dry
menz on cutting pad
menz ff on polish pad
rub down with klasse aio
FK100P sealant

also FK100P on the alloys too.

Should protect it nicely over the winter

Whenever I wash inbetween, I use johnsons babybath (kind on the wax!) and then dry. Then give it a blast of megs nxt quick detailer.

172 money pit

P.M.S.L.

I'm using Coli 845 Insulator wax at the moment, after MagpieV6 went on about it for weeks. And I'm definitely going to put more on this weekend. I don't know about anywhere else in the UK, but daan saaarf it's 15 degrees today. Can't be that much colder in Hertfordshire.

I'd say if you want to wax your car, you go for it buddy.

As JD said just make double sure it's clean, and everything's gravy.

Chris

15 deg yesterday here as well Chris.

Oh, and FYI that yawn was definitely posted in the wrong thread lol!

Clio 172
Mine will be getting a cleanse, blackhole and a wax this weekend in prep for winter. Would a sealant last mucgh longer than a couple of coats of bananarmour?

Mine will be getting a cleanse, blackhole and a wax this weekend in prep for winter. Would a sealant last mucgh longer than a couple of coats of bananarmour?

Yes buddy. Much, much longer.

Try a decent insulator wax like FK1000p or Collinite 845.

BMW'S
ROFL you boys and your super super clean cars, and "protected paint" ROFL, enjoy the winter stone chips!

LOL at you and your car wen it look like a bag of sh*t in the summer;)

My view on waxing in the winter is do what you like. Im currently useing vics red on mine and its plenty durable and looks ten time better than some of the harder wareing waxes sealants.
Where as i used to protect my car with the most durable stuff i could get such as FK1000P.
To be honest after using them for a while they are harder to apply then something like vics red and maybe give you an extra 3 weeks protection so i prefer to wax every month ish!!!

Although i may be a little bit wax crazy:D

Not a 320d
I "protect" mine for 2 reasons, mainly because its a piece of piss to wash and more importantly dry. Secondly because it looks good. Nothing to do with stonechips.

LOL at you and your car wen it look like a bag of sh*t in the summer;)

My view on waxing in the winter is do what you like. Im currently useing vics red on mine and its plenty durable and looks ten time better than some of the harder wareing waxes sealants.
Where as i used to protect my car with the most durable stuff i could get such as FK1000P.
To be honest after using them for a while they are harder to apply then something like vics red and maybe give you an extra 3 weeks protection so i prefer to wax every month ish!!!

Although i may be a little bit wax crazy:D

Depends on what you have at your disposal. If you have a heated garage, washing, polishing and waxing is not an issue... ;)

Clio 172
i assume you meant to say Clay it 1st then polish it then wax it, yes Morg172?

yeh mate. didnt put it very clear lol

Ive done mine last weekend so its all nice and protected. used jetseal109 for the 1st time after hearing good reviews and i have to say im impressed

Clio 172
Well got mine done today unfortunately no sealant, just the dodo wax. In a sick way i want it to rain so i can see the beading

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
i was thinking of claying, polish, sealant and waxing tomorrow in a open garage. Is it worth doing as tomorrow going to be about 6c

Claying will be fine, just hard to remould - keep one piece in a warm bowl of water to keep it pliable while using the other piece. Put them both in to start them off.

Polish, depends on the polish. Menz polishes are best in cold conditions and some may not break down as easily. Again, keeping the bottles in warm water, like a water bath, before use.

Sealent, no bother.

Wax, again, might be more difficult on and off...

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
cheers, i've allready done the car, but i decided not to clay and wax n that. had a feel of th paint work and it's little bit rough but nowt to worry. i'll do it properly next year when the weather is nicer