ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ward's Arctic 182

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Cheers Shane, it's sitting real nice. Haha it won't be stupid loud, only taking the centre silencer out!

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I got impatient and re-arranged my exhaust consultation for today after work! Was very happy with the conversation, deposit paid, and I'm all booked in for the work to be carried out on Thursday. Very excited to have a different exhaust note and a non blowing system!

Good good Dan looking forward to hearing it when i next see you, realy need to come over one night now its light and have a good chat :) Will be a few weeks tho as i wont have a car while my wheels are getting referbed.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Is it taking them that long?

Dropped the Clio off at Longlife this afternoon and will be picking it up again tomorrow!

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Picked the car up after work and the centre section looks good (as I'd expect). The blow is gone which is great but as I've only driven it home in rush hour traffic I haven't properly tested it. The normal cruising noise isn't much louder at all so I'm happy about that. Will get a pic up soon and report on the noise during more spirited driving.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Arctic colour coded door bullets purchased from Bobby on here yesterday evening! Looking forward to fitting them. :)

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Ok so time for some update photos!!

Firstly, here's my new exhaust centre section. The photos suck but you get the idea:

IMG_0874_zps6a08d736.jpg

IMG_0873_zpsec4badcc.jpg

IMG_0872_zps772c7aee.jpg

Moving on, my nice new colour coded bullets from Bobby on here. Fitted them only a couple days ago and I think they look great. I like the understated look:

IMG_0879_zpseb7e5876.jpg

And here's some shots of the car now after a quick clean:

IMG_0880_zps4365f405.jpg

IMG_0881_zps2b5840fd.jpg

IMG_0882_zpsb92fda0f.jpg

IMG_0876_zpsfbbbbdf0.jpg

IMG_0875_zps1ae69e33.jpg

MK3 Clio DCI 86
Dan, I PM'ed you about your cooksports but my inbox was full to get your reply. It's now cleared so feel free to PM me again if possible or post here ;)

Cheers mate.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I watched Rob G fit his stud conversion last week and got jealous so I now have a similar kit in my possesion - this should be fitted next weekend.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Decided against fitting my spacers as they are the universal type and just look crap basically. I am considering buying decent quality spacers at a later date however. Have ordered some better nuts as the ones I got with the studs aren't that exciting.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Another tiny update with no photo and so will be missed by most haha. But yesterday eve I ordered a pair of 10mm spacers from Dan@MAD on here for the front - the quality looks good (a lot better than the crappy universal ones I bought before). With the ET35 offset on my Turinis the stance should look spot on, so fingers crossed. I'll have a photo update later this week. :)

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Topped up my brake fluid. Can't beat a Heinz funnel:

IMG_0888_zps0e95d13c.jpg

Also decided to paint my calipers, just a simple bit of smooth black Hammerite:

IMG_0890_zpsfd8de094.jpg

Have ordered a pair of Brembo discs and Brembo pads from G172 so waiting for these to turn up before I fit my front studs. The 10mm spacers from Dan@M.A.D have turned up and they are amazing quality, had a test fit and they look brilliant. I expect to fit everything next week, just in time for CSS!

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Little job I've been meaning to do for months!! Fit my CS decal in the rear window. Excuse the filth - it's getting washed over the weekend.

IMG_0908_zps29891103.jpg

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Looks a good example mate, not a fan of the standard wheels on these although having them painted black makes them look so much better :)
Standard wheels? Black? I have anthracite Turinis haha. Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying. :)

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
This week I've been sorting a few things out before CSS.

Monday evening after work it was time to fit new front discs and pads. I opted for Brembo HC discs and Brembo pads, these were £74 delivered from G172 and arrived on the second working day after ordering! Great service. Now this may not be a big deal to most on here, but this is the first time I've changed my own discs and pads, and I must say the feeling of self satisfaction when you are done is brilliant!

IMG_0909_zpsa4adcb35.jpg

IMG_0910_zps23a92884.jpg

Today after work I set about fitting my front studs and spacers. The studs are 60mm and went on a treat with some stud and bearing loctite. The spacers are 10mm from Dan@MAD and the quality of them is outstanding in my opinion - so glad I opted for these over the crappy universal ones.

IMG_0911_zpsf8fa9af4.jpg

And this is how it currently sits on the drive. The wheels will go back on in a couple hours when the loctite is fully set and I'll get a photo to show how it sits. Regrettably, in the excitement, I forgot to take a 'before' shot - I apologise.

Nimbus Clio 197
Very nice! I know what you mean about satisfaction of doing your own work, changed the track rod ends on my Astra last week, may be simple to some but I was chuffed

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Here is a few photos from a couple of nights ago showing the spacers fitted on the front.

IMG_0912_zps2bd6786b.jpg

IMG_0913_zps24f0d383.jpg

IMG_0914_zpsf329937d.jpg

IMG_0915_zps670d5302.jpg

IMG_0916_zps9babb82d.jpg

IMG_0917_zps33ed4637.jpg

Added some Speedline Corse decals to the Turinis, supplied by n2grafix off here.

IMG_0918_zps5a6da87f.jpg

IMG_0919_zpsfebb877a.jpg

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I purchased an RS Tuner off of here last week and am currently in the process of upgrading to the 98ron map. I have run into a couple of little technical issues with it (cal download issues from the website and the inability for the tuner to back up my ECU) but Henk @ fastchip is fantastic and responds with the answers within 24hrs. I'm next at home on Thursday so that will be when the map is installed and I get to experience the hype that is the 98ron map!

I have also been thinking about what I want to do next and what the futures holds for the Clio. Short term I've been debating getting a new stereo, I would like a new stereo to help improve the sound quality and make the most of some new components. I like the thought of DAB radios and bluetooth connectivity but we will see - I may not upgrade from the standard stereo.

Longer term, the belts need doing by next year and so I'm debating having them done in the next couple of months while I have the cash to do so. The arguement in my head at the minute is whether or not to go for the Piper cams at the same time - they are really well priced and if I'm having the belts done anyway this would be a great time for the upgrade. Whats stopping me at the moment is the possibility that I may not keep the Clio past the end of the year and so would cams be a worthwhile investment in that sense? I don't know. My cousin Shane, or scaryopa on here, is booked in for Piper cams very soon so I guess I'll think more about it once he has taken me out in his.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
RS Tuner Remap

So today I got in from work and finished the RS tuner remap. Henk had sent me the rst and cal files through email as I had problems accessing them through the fastchip site. First I needed to update my ECU as my current version was 8000, the update took it to version 8200 and took around 15 minutes. Next was copying the actual 98ron map over which took about a minute. I was a little hesitant before copying the files over as the RS tuner software pops up all sorts of warnings and scary stuff, but once it's clicked you soon realise that it was a success and there was nothing to worry about.

I took the Clio for a little test drive, bare in mind it is currently raining here and in rush hour so I couldn't really test it properly at all. What I will say though is that it is immediately noticeable - as soon as I drove up my road I could feel that little bit of extra low down power. On idle the car feels a lot smoother. I won't comment any more on it until I have had to chance to drive the car properly in some decent weather. Here is a couple pics to accompany my update:

IMG_0923_zpsf7099543.jpg

IMG_0926_zps8cf0b913.jpg

IMG_0927_zps25955733.jpg

IMG_0928_zps550c02b2.jpg

Also, I only took two photos at CSS but here they are: the car next to me is my cousin's (scaryopa).

IMG_0922_zps5e39391d.jpg

IMG_0921_zpsf438350a.jpg

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
500 miles

So this weekend I took the Mrs away for the weekend up towards the Lake District. The roads around the lakes are amazing and are such a pleasure to drive. If any of you guys actually live near there I am very jealous that you can drive these whenever you like. All in all I did around 500 miles over the weekend and the Clio didn't miss a beat despite the blinding heat. I was expecting at least something to happen but no, the 182 is a great machine - I'm loving it more than ever!

Also to report a bit more the the RS tuner, awesome, the best word to describe it, truly awesome. The difference is very noticeable and it makes motorway driving a lot more pleasurable. The 5k spike has almost disappeared in 4th and 5th and the lower torque is brilliant. A few pics:

IMG_0954_zpsbed4729c.jpg

IMG_0956_zps95b43150.jpg

IMG_0958_zpse364c3b9.jpg

As you may or may not be able to see, we crossed on the ferry over Lake Windemere, a very pleasant little crossing and it made me chuckle when the sat nav clocked the ferry at about 4.5mph haha!

IMG_0959_zps232885aa.jpg

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Components & Tweeters

I've been looking at improving the sounds in the Clio for a few weeks now and decided after work today to go ahead and make the first move. I was browsing the Halfords website after work and saw a set of Edge ED305 components with tweeters for a bargain £32 - got them reserved online and shortly after drove down to my local Halfords to pick them up. While I was there I saw that they are £40 in store, so thats a small saving by doing it online. :)

IMG_1012_zps08e89826.jpg

Off came the speaker covers in each door card to reveal the speakers that had been installed by a previous owner - some sort of Pioneer coaxials that sounded dreadful. Coaxials don't fit right with the Clio set up as there are tweeters in the dash.

IMG_1011_zps754b855a.jpg

Out came the Pioneers and in went the Edge ED305s, this job took minutes and the improvement in sound quality was already very noticeable with a little extra better bass as well.

IMG_1013_zps51c22008.jpg

By this time it was about 8.30pm and I knew that I would need to fit the tweeters before I was happy with the job. I quickly got up the guide on here for removing the dash and set about finding and unscrewing all of the screws that were holding the dash on. This probably took about 5-10 minutes and the dash was soon out. I was surprised just how easy this was.

IMG_1015_zps7eaee71f.jpg

Out came the standard tweeters and I used a stanley knife to widen the holes. After a little bit of cutting the tweeters fitted in the holes nice and snug. I cut off the old connectors and it was a quick job to wire in the new tweeters. Lovely job.

IMG_1016_zpsb7cdb94c.jpg

Dash then goes back on and all the screws and trim put back in place just before it starts getting dark.

Now my sound system sounds a lot better for only £32 and just over an hours work. Next step will be to install a decent head unit to make full use of the components and introduce a bit more connectivity than the standard unit offers.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Won a new headunit on eBay last night. It's a Kenwood BT42U with bluetooth and that and I'm really happy with it, especially as I picked it up for £50!! Bargain! Will be fitting it tomorrow after work so hopefully the new speakers will benefit even more from the amplification of the new headunit.