ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ward's Arctic 182

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Been wanting to make a project thread since I bought the Clio but I didn't really have much to put in it until today - so here goes...

I bought the 182 a week and half ago now and I must say I absolutely love it! I came from a 1.4 Corsa C so this is a massive power upgrade for me.

Here's how it looked on the day I brought it home:

IMG_0517.jpg

In this photo from my lounge window you can see my old Corsa in the background (now for sale):

IMG_0518.jpg

Before I had the car home I'd already been on eBay and bought a new number plate light, so that went on immediately:

IMG_0537.jpg

You can see my Scorpian exhaust that was already fitted to the car. It seems a little quiet and I'm thinking of getting something different in the near future.

I had also already bought some Cooksport lowering springs from the group buy recently organised on this forum (that membership already paying for itself). The drivers rear shock was completely knackered and so cornering up until now had been quite interesting. Today the new springs were fitted along with new genuine Renault rear shocks, and new exhaust mounts. This is the before shot:

IMG_0521.jpg

And after:

IMG_0535.jpg

I have also just had brand new rear discs and pads fitted. I have only driven it a short distance since the recent work but it seems a total different beast with the uprated suspension components. I really cannot wait to give it a proper test, the more I drive the car the better it gets!!

Plans for immediate future are to fit my new plates that have been ordered (plain rear and plain 3/4 front), fit the silvervisions that I've bought for the rear, and fix the cruise control switch that annoying won't stay switched on. Looking more long term I intend to get an rstuner and as mentioned above, a new exhaust. I'd love to have matched inlets as well but we shall see.

One more photo:

IMG_0536.jpg

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Looks nice mate. Sits lovely on those springs! I sometimes wish I didn't look at these type of threads because now I want those springs too!

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Tiny update :)

Fitted my Cliosport tax disc holder:

IMG_0539.jpg

Also fitted my new plates, rear is plain normal and front is plain 3/4 sized:

IMG_0541.jpg

I really like the way the car is looking now. After the recent work it is amazing to drive and it goes round corners on rails - I really do rate the Cooksport springs highly. Today I had a parcel from clio_stu which contained a throttle pedal with metal pedal - for some reason my current throttle pedal is rubber and the rest are metal? Anyway, metal one should be fitted shortly. I am shortly receiving a set of Renaultsport mats so they will be in the car next week!

One more pic ;)

IMG_0542.jpg

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Turinis are my current plan next - I have a mate who may be selling me his, but we will see. :)

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Sunday Update!

Feel like I made some good progress this weekend. First thing I decided to do on Friday after work was fit the JVC DVD headunit which I received earlier that day - fitting stuff to your car in the dark isn't advisable. Here's the start I made:

IMG_0544.jpg

I got it in pretty quickly, here is a daytime photo of my efforts:

IMG_0547.jpg

Today however, I took it all back out and fitted the iPod adapter that came with it. I did this by locating the unit under the cup holders (there was just about enough space) and threading the wire up through the dash. The iPod end I decided to stick through a gap in the panel located just under the climate control unit. I think it looks ok and it certainly works great:

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

Another job I did, and my favourite in terms of the visual improvements, was the throttle pedal. As you can see in the pictures below my 182 had been fitted with a rubber pedal for some reason. I purchased a metal one off a fellow cliosport member and fitted this (with a tiny lil trouble when I didn't plug the throttle in properly), along with a metal foot rest. I think the improvement is great and it all matches at last!

Before:

IMG_0549.jpg

After:

IMG_0550.jpg

And another tiny job; Silvervisions in the rear lights! It's all about the lil details:

IMG_0548.jpg

During the week it's going to the garage as the heating has stopped working - not a good time of year for this! Also purchased some part worn Goodyear Eagle F1s off the bay (6mm tread) for a bargain £60 the pair!! So they will be fitted shortly.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Got myself an absolute bargain today! One of my mates recently wrote off his BG 182 and so offered me his Renaultsport mats for all of £15 - they are in great condition so I snapped them up straight away.

4B5A52C3-A1BD-4897-9401-7F7C1121FC0D-24200-000005BBE8C04CDD.jpg

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Isn't that a splitter off a 1.2? It has the square holes in at each end...
I did wonder where it came from... I quite like it but it hasn't been fitted straight so it really bugs me. I plan on replacing it quite soon though for a cheap Skoda jobby!

Audi A5
Looking good mate, heater fault will no doubt be the resistor. Have a look in the guide section theirs a thread on how to repair in an save your self a couple quid.

Throttle pedal is a dodgy one. Maybe the previous owner done it to stop his foot slipping off the pedal as the sport ones are quite slippery when wet.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Cheers Bobby. I've taken the resistor pack out this evening and am sending it off to a guy on eBay. I'm looking forward to getting it back and having heat in the car!

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I would love a carbon splitter, I won't be spending too much on aesthetic mods though until I'm really happy with everything else.

Yesterday morning I had a blow out on the way to work so on went the two Goodyear Eagle F1s that I had already purchased.

This morning I bridged the resistor pack plug to bring the fan on full time. Also bunged a couple of old sockets in the exhaust mount and cable tied them in, this is only temporary but at least the exhaust is sitting straight for the time being.

I have a black battery cover on the way from Dan@MAD so that will be fitted next week. I have also booked myself on to the Bedford Autodrome track day in February so I can't wait for that! Plenty of time to sort the car out for the track.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Little update again. I sent my heater resistor pack off to a guy on eBay to be fixed, in the mean time I made a little bridge for the plug and drove round with the blowers on full. I also fitted the black battery cover, as you can see below!

60C56F85-11E5-465E-A134-40C6EB2EF67D-34837-0000086F4934ABBD.jpg

0D98A8A9-5324-4183-AFC9-643AE231C4E6-34837-0000086F5430E3B8.jpg

84E2620E-4F9E-4449-ADEC-1D5DF67DB00D-34837-0000086F3F6D13B9.jpg

E8B3F749-20CA-4B5C-B4A2-68D6F3FEA501-34837-0000086F4EC8C3D6.jpg

I should be getting some Speedline Turinis freshly refurbed in anthracite within the next couple of weeks - cannot wait!

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Caught the exhaust on a speed bump at work today = snapped clamp and one back box hanging off. Quick trip to Halfrauds for a clamp and now its fixed. I seem to be fixing little niggles every other day at the moment...

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Looking decent mate. Quick progress for time you've had it. I've had mine since January and not really done a great amount apart from lower it on eibach sportlines and carbon wrap front diamond. Lol

Looks good on those cooksport springs along with the new number plates.

Bet your well chuffed with it. I know I was when I got mine. Chose the best colour too ;) keep it clean and drive safe.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Thanks cswalmsley, I never really intended on doing too much to it but I always get carried away haha!

Little update today - I bought an induction setup off of Kizza9 (top member, sent it out next day for me), it came with a Samco bend, alloy pipe, and K&N cone filter. For the time being I have decided just to fit the Samco bend, although I may have a play with the rest of the setup in the future.

EDC7EAE3-3449-4C51-927D-84246004869D-39942-000009B53AB1B660.jpg

The car looks well mate! Arctic is still my favourite colour :) +1 on a different splitter.

I like it on the cooksport springs, mines on coilovers at the moment but Iv got the same springs to fit next year.. Can't wait!

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Cheers guys. I've had the springs on about a month now and I think they are great. Really happy with the stance and the ride is superb. I'll be taking it to the Bedford track day next Feb so I'll be able to report how they handle on track!

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
remove your acoustic valve dude its next to your fuse box its sounds wayy better! its two bolts but the wheel has to come off. my friend did it to mine the day i bought it

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Great suggestion - the acoustic valve will be coming off shortly.

I have just ordered a nice new Pipercross filter to go behind the headlight, I already have the alloy bend that came with the Samco so this weekend I am looking forward to fitting it all and having a nice induction roar.

jesus - the Corsa is an Exclusiv, very observant ;) I still have it sitting in the garage as people don't seem to want to buy it! I was very proud of it but it was just too slow and ridiculously uncomfortable to drive in its modified state. Here's a pic:

30.jpg

Great suggestion - the acoustic valve will be coming off shortly.

I have just ordered a nice new Pipercross filter to go behind the headlight, I already have the alloy bend that came with the Samco so this weekend I am looking forward to fitting it all and having a nice induction roar.

jesus - the Corsa is an Exclusiv, very observant ;) I still have it sitting in the garage as people don't seem to want to buy it! I was very proud of it but it was just too slow and ridiculously uncomfortable to drive in its modified state. Here's a pic:

30.jpg
I love that! If it was a touch higher it would be perfect. I think if it was a diesel too then that would be an all-round brilliant runaround car.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Great update today.

First things first, off comes the passenger side wheel along with the arch liner. The acoustic valve then came off, bolt in the end of the lil hose, and tie everything up.

46B72E76-5877-4EC2-AA29-EBA0D806BD97-49413-00000C00692BBE0C.jpg

Next I went about removing the airbox and the two air feeds, replacing them with an 90 degree alloy bend and a Pipercross filter I bought from Regals Motorsport. I wasn't 100% sure whether the Pipercross would fit behind the headlight but as you can see it went in there easily with a little room to move around and position. I think the setup looks great in the bay.

D26C35CD-D158-4CE3-91AE-75D2C7D74860-49413-00000C006EDD9C07.jpg

C81A50AB-99E9-41EF-A3AB-DC994F831C2E-49413-00000C0073D3D9C7.jpg

0CA1A667-7FD5-485D-AD97-AFD04C7F6E96-49413-00000C007CA63257.jpg

E4A8BF0A-E667-45AB-9AE2-8C5B74E02C50-49413-00000C0081C31335.jpg

I've taken it for a quick drive and the sound is amazing!! Driving sensibly up to around 3.5k you cannot hear it at all but as soon as you open the taps it roars and puts a massive smile on my face. I'm really happy with this set up (some might say similar to the k-tec item) and it has cost me about £110 all in.

I'm very interested to see what you guys think?

1.6 ZS + Clio 182 FF
Looks awesome! I am thinking of doing this too. Is there a cheaper alternative to that samco hose with breather pipe? I bet that cost a bit.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Yea you can buy a simple silicone bend without the breather pipe for about £20, then you just need a breather filter instead which are also cheap. I just wanted the Samco as I like the design and look of it.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I got it second hand with some other bits from a guy on here, so I'm not 100% sure on the length, only that it's 70mm OD.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Sunday Update!

Today the first job was to replace my old cruise control switch with a new one that I bought from Adam. off here. The reason for this was that my old button did not stay pressed down, and so I couldn't use the cruise control without holding the button down myself (which is clearly ridiculous). I didn't take any photos but it's a 30 second job simply putting your hand up behind the dash and pulling the cruise control switch out from behind. Simple swap over and it now works faultlessly.

Second job was to fit the Powerflex'd dogbone mount that I also purchased from Adam. This job was actually a pretty quick one - jacked the car up, unbolted the old standard mount, bolt in the new Powerflex'd mount. I'm glad I decided to do it this way rather than pressing the bushes in myself as this way was soo much easier!

5590FE0D-9B2A-4B39-AA29-AB6B30230F05-1794-000000696CCF8F35.jpg

FBA823A4-768C-4960-A4E0-114CE9D5F905-1794-0000006979EFFA0F.jpg

I've taken it for a test drive and can really notice the smoother gear changes and the engine doesn't seem to move so much when putting your foot down whilst going through the gears. Really impressed with this modification and for the £30 I paid I think its an absolute bargain! Highly recommended.

The next update coming soon is a new retrimmed steering wheel from snappy. :) Can't wait!!

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Cheers :) I'll get another photo up soon of it's stance as the springs have had a little while to settle now.