ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrade or downgrade ??

Clio dynamique 1.2
So I have a fiat 500 abarth 2010 and has various modifications including bilstine b14s tuning box roughly 175bhp. I'm looking to sell up and get a clio 182 do you think I'm upgrading to a better car even though it's older, or do you think I should just keep what I've got?

Attachments

• IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 139

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
personally id say while the clio is the better car dynamically I think the 182 would feel like a downgrade, id be looking at a 200 if you fancy a swap to a clio, least you still get the 182 thrills with an even better chassis, better brakes and still have that modern feel

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
My only experience of 500's was a Competizione in an autosolo, and I was quite surprised by how capable it was.

The clio is more of a classic hot hatch - Big engine, very little of anything else, whereas the Abarth is much more modern and sophisticated. I'd say it'd be more about personal taste than anything else.

Clio 172
What will you be using the car for? I'm assuming there's a price differential as well, not just a straight swap.

Like McGherkin, I've only driven a 500 Competizione at the Fiat timed test at the Autosport Show (I'm assuming that's where you drove it Callum). The toys were nice but I wanted the seat lower, my head was in the roof lining. On the timed test the electronic controls drove me nuts as they kept cutting in and "saving" me. I would have been way quicker in my 172.

So it depends what you want the car for and your financial objectives - predominantly road use then stay 500. To have some fun with a more "raw" car then go 182.

RB Clio 182
I would have thought that you would have more fun in a 182, it depends what you want from a car, a 182 is like driving a very fast road legal go kart with climate and auto wipers.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
What will you be using the car for? I'm assuming there's a price differential as well, not just a straight swap.

Like McGherkin, I've only driven a 500 Competizione at the Fiat timed test at the Autosport Show (I'm assuming that's where you drove it Callum). The toys were nice but I wanted the seat lower, my head was in the roof lining. On the timed test the electronic controls drove me nuts as they kept cutting in and "saving" me. I would have been way quicker in my 172.

So it depends what you want the car for and your financial objectives - predominantly road use then stay 500. To have some fun with a more "raw" car then go 182.

Yeah, at Autosport. I get what you're saying about the driver aids, although to be honest Autosolo is something that they were never really programmed to cope with. I've watched them on hillclimbs being rather nippy, which is something a little more acceptable to the electronic nannies.

Clio 172
Yeah, at Autosport. I get what you're saying about the driver aids, although to be honest Autosolo is something that they were never really programmed to cope with. I've watched them on hillclimbs being rather nippy, which is something a little more acceptable to the electronic nannies.

Thrashing the 500s was good fun at the Autosport Show. I'd finish one of my demo drive sessions on the Autosolo demo then nip over to Fiat for a drive if there was no queue. If the car was mine I would have played with settings and started to pull fuses to turn things off, but the Fiat guys wouldn't let me! Understandable. I tried the handbrake to "beat" the traction control and it proved very efficient, more practice needed. I normally wouldn't dream of using the handbrake on a proper Autosolo test, there should be no need.

So back to the OP, depends on what the car will be used for. If money isn't an issue and it's mainly for road use then I'd stick wit the 500. However a Trophy might be worth the investment as they're bound to appreciate.

koi

Audi S1
I miss my 182 but as a daily the Abarth is a better place to be, more modern and nicer finish.

Your 500 with those mods should be decent, have you driven a 182 to compare?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
My argument would be this.

If you have any remote interest in the 182, get it. No doubt it will be taxed to oblivion at some point for having a 'dirty' 2.0litre N/A lump and even the very best, mothballed cars are well past a decade old. Grab one while you still can, imo.