ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre/rpm relation question.

BMW M3
... also not clio related.

Say you have an old crappy car that is going to be driven a long distance and only has 13" wheels and a 4 speed. Is it possible/legal to stick on some 14s at the front to hopefully reduce the rpm at say 70mph ?

So basically, is it legal and will it make a significant different to engine speed ?

Thanks

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
You can calculate the difference, check the rolling radius of the two different set ups, then there is a formula which I cant remember atm, but I'm sure someone will know.

I don't think you are going to notice the difference TBH and your speedo will be out as well.

RenaultSport clio 182
have a look at carbibles.com (in the tyre bibles section there is a rolling radius converter). tells you speed and percentage difference when comparing different tyre sizes

Breaking A 172 Replica
Isn't your car lowered?

I doubt there would be enough room under the arch to increase the tyre diameter enough for it make a real difference to economy/ride quailty.

Sam

BMW M3
Cheers for the replies guys. Will have a look at those sites to see if its worth it.

Sam: I was not talking about my 182 mate.

BMW M3
Yeah, just been looking on these sites and it will increase it 3.5 mph at 70mph lol

As you guys have said, really isnt worth it.