ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo project!!!

To be honest, I'm just about ready to lock this thread after all the childish bickering thats been going on between a selected few people (they know who they are). I can't be bothered to waste my time babysitting the thread any more. 1 last chance.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
A3s, S3s, Golfs & TTs with Quattro / 4-Motion aren't AWD iirc, they're FWD with RWD kicking-in when the fronts lose traction.

A4s, A5s, A6s, A8s, Passats, 4x4s with Quattro / 4-Motion are AWD, although I'm not sure if it's 50/50 or 60/40 rear/front power distribution.

:eek:

A3's, Golf's, S3's, TT's et al, all use the TorSen diff. Not true Quattro. You're right about the diff too, TorSen is not true AWD.

Passat 4-Motion also uses TorSen though, IIRC. ;)

True Quattro's being A4/6/8's as well as the S and RS variants. Later RS variants can distribute 60/40 split, where as earlier models, B5 RS4, for example, use a more crude 50/50 torque split.

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
A3's, Golf's, S3's, TT's et al, all use the TorSen diff. Not true Quattro. You're right about the diff too, TorSen is not true AWD.

True Quattro's being A4/6/8's as well as the S and RS variants. Later RS variants can distribute 60/40 split, where as earlier models, B5 RS4, for example, use a more crude 50/50 torque split.

FAIL. ;)

Passat 4Kevs use the same system as the A4/5/6... Fact.

AWD FTFW.

Please can you find me my split? Cheers! :eek:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

You geek ;)

Loves xXX

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
Has anyone go a QUAIFE ATB DIFFERENTIAL on there clio?? wondering what they are like are they worth it?

Small update will get some pics up i got yesterday up tomorrow. Was going down the bypass yesterday afternoon then it started hissing. Next i looked and the boost pipe had come off the turbo:s fitted it back on and all is now ok. Other than that there has been no problems with the car at all since i last spoke. done 7000 since turbo was fitted and is doing great :) even the gear box has stopped acting up it changes gear loads better now.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

WFT they use Haldex.

Proper old skool Quattro used the TorSen centre diff. Stuff like S2's and the like moving through to the more modern stuff.

Its never FWD unless the Haldex Electronic Control Unit disengages the Haldex clutch in the centre coupling as soon as brakes are applied to allow ABS work properly. When performing tight low-speed turns (e.g. parking) the clutch is disengaged by Electronic Control Unit to avoid "wind-up" in transmission.

Under normal operating conditions, the Haldex LSC clutch operates at 5% (divide 5% between front and rear, and 97.5% torque goes to the front, and 2.5% goes to the rear). Under adverse conditions where both front wheels lose traction (hard accel, tight fast turns and quick changes in direction), the Haldex clutch can lock at up to 100% clamping force untill traction is resumed. This means, that since there is no torque tranferred to the front axle, all torque (minus losses) must be transferred to the rear axle in the event of 100% locking. The torque split between left and right wheels is achieved with a conventional open differential. If one side of the driven axle loses grip, then the Electronic Differential Lock (EDL) controls this. EDL brakes a single spinning wheel, therefore torque gets transferred to the opposite wheel via the open differential. On all transverse engine cars with the Haldex Traction LSC four-wheel drive system, the EDL only controls front wheels, and not the rear.

The Haldex Traction system is more reactive than preventative, in that the front axle must lose traction and start to spin before the Haldex operates and sends torque to the rear axle. The Torsen's permanent 'full-time' even torque split under non-slipping conditions makes slipping less likely to start.

Last edited:

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
FFS...meant Haldex. :(

Haldex: Fakey Quattro
TorSen diff on the proper stuff.

Hendo would string me up if he read that.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
lol

Hendo's death list..... you are on it.

One good thing about haldex is if you f**k about enough it gives you RWD!

Best one i can find thats cheap but holds out is the standard one. Its still ok with over 300 lb/ft of torque. If it did go wrong it would take alot of boxes for it to be worth getting a better one.

Been up to abit of a change today :)
IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3168.gif

IMG_3169.gif

IMG_3170.gif

After a clean
IMG_3173.jpg