ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trying to turn around an RB 182

RenaultSport Clio 182
Hello everyone,

It's been quite a while since I updated this thread as I walked away from fixing it up for a while. I found myself under the car, bleeding brake lines in December, in the dark and cold. There wasn't much fun to be had skinning my knuckles by portable floodlight so I quit for the winter.

After trying half a dozen times to bleed the air out of the brakes using an Eezibleed and failing it turns out the RStuner module for bleeding the brakes via the ABS tuner is awesome, albeit not the cheapest option.
29192117593_ffd74f4cb3_b.jpg

29192118953_5849d61f13_b.jpg

RenaultSport Clio 182
I started again in the summer - time for a suspension overhaul.

The steering has always been vague in the centre and replacing the steering rack bushes hadn't cured it. As the car is intended for track days (if it's ever roadworthy enough..) it's now fitted with PMS top mounts, standard Cup dampers, new wishbones and Cook sport springs.
29192109173_5a0067ac58_b.jpg

29525632380_cb3e1bee88_b.jpg

29782533216_67f07fedac_b.jpg

The car felt better but not quite there. The only thing left was the Anti-Roll bar bushes and it looked like a nightmare job. My local garage fitted them for me (he sweared a lot when I picked it up, muttering about access and clamps..). The steering is now awesome, much more connected to the road.

RenaultSport Clio 182
That takes it to where it is now. Which unfortunately is off the road again. Nine MOT fails. Nine.

Now I should have done the basic checks before booking it in but I chanced it and this is what it got:

Battery insecure (my fault, forgot to refit the clamp)
Windscreen washer provides insufficient fluid
Front position lamp incorrect colour (nearside and offside)
Headlamp not working on dipped beam (nearside and offside)
Stop lamp not working (centre)
Emissions at idle
Emissions after fast idle.

As of last weekend I was ready for stripping the thing down for parts and getting some small part of what I'd put in. It feels like the entire car has been rebuilt, bar the engine and it's still going wrong.

But then I realised that there's so little left to go wrong! Most of the above are small jobs - a new pump on the washer, a loose relay on the front headlights, a new stop lamp and, most likely, a new Cat.

So I'm pushing on. As it happens the car has a small leak through the bulkhead, pooling water in the passenger footwell so while it's off road I'm also stripping the seats and carpets out and sourcing that leak and fixing it. The dash can come out so I can paint the scruffy centre console parts and hopefully identify the leak easier.

Winter may get in the way again but I'll finish this thing if it kills me!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Just read from the start as well, brilliant thread.

Keep on going mate, these cars definitely know how to test you, can't even count the amount of times I've wanted to set fire to mine but once I've had a break, come back, got the job done and took it for a spin, I realise it's all worth it!

RenaultSport Clio 182
Time for a quick update as I'm now getting to the end of the jobs that failed the MOT.

As the car has persistent leak problems that were getting worse (the passenger footwell was full of water), the car was stripped down on the drive - carpets and underlay out, dash top off.

30061956504_43525046de_b.jpg

It was a nightmare sourcing the leak - water seems to go wherever it feels like - so it's tricky to find the source. In this case it was multiple leaks, mainly the bottom of the windscreen and a bad grommet on the rear windscreen washer pipe through the bulkhead. The windscreen had developed a bad crack anyway so that was replaced by Autoglass. As a precaution I put tigerseal around any entry to the cabin I could find. Not the neatest job but so far it seems to be working! This is just behind the scuttle drainhole on the near-side:
30061955684_63e364c7a7_b.jpg

Next job was the emissions. The cat that was on it was put on just before I bought the car but was a cheap ebay one. Still seems like it should have lasted way longer so this is a bit concerning. I installed a KTR sports cat and a new Bosch lambda. This is my biggest worry now for when it goes for a new MOT. The engine runs sweet but does use a bit of oil.
30696892252_aa32e608b3_b.jpg

30777373566_b59ed2515d_b.jpg

Getting the old lambda off ranks up there with the most hated jobs this car has to offer. The neighbor did not seem impressed with the language coming from under the car.

The easy jobs were next - changing the blue position bulbs at the front for regular versions
30725585591_1ed26a7ec4_b.jpg

And a new rear spoiler brake light unit:
30813736335_fc67b2bee6_b.jpg

As the dash was out it felt like a good time to sort out the paint on the dash and the door handles. These have gone sticky with age so I attacked it with 60 grit sandpaper first:
30693757635_a4ec67707b_b.jpg

This did not work at all, the paper just gums up straight away. After a bit of googling people seemed to recommend tar remover so I tried this. Much better although it still took a fair bit of time. I also thought the centre section of the dash above would have been removable but on mine it seemed to be fixed so I had to mask off before painting.
30656978236_9b03eb6ac5_b.jpg

Bit of plastic primer:
30061952604_d76a464203_b.jpg

And back in the car:
30181925504_1a94ea606a_b.jpg

30777364156_f26fb290fa_b.jpg

The colour is not the same as standard but it's as close as I could find. There's a few coats of lacquer on too so hopefully it's be hard-wearing enough. I'll be putting a new stereo in soon so the colour clash should hopefully be broken up a bit. You might also have seen the relays hanging down on the passenger side. The leak from the windscreen had soaked the UCH module that controls the lights/indicators etc. This had been repaired once already and is under warranty but I wouldn't think water ingress would be covered - it's not the repairers fault after all.

Anyway - I've ordered a replacement ECU, UCH and key fobs from cs_dave so this should sort it out nicely (I only had one key before too so it's nice to have a spare.)

As I'm now, hopefully, done with the bigger jobs for a while it's time to do some of the nicer cosmetic jobs. The new stereo and subwoofer should sort out the interior rattling at any kind of volume so this will be ordered soon and and I've also pulled a couple of small parking dents out. I used on of the cheap 'puller' type tools that glues onto the dent and then pulls it out. I forgot to take pics but it works really well if you take your time.

A Corbeau Clubsport seat was installed (drivers side only as I have to give a couple of mates a lift to work sometimes so the passenger tilt seat is still needed) with one of Jon Foz's subframes. Superb piece of kit the subframe - no issues at all installing and very well made.

30181926754_b861231732_b.jpg

And finally a good wash ready for some wax over winter. The wax isn't on yet but it's looking as good as it has done since I got it. Thinking next year I might get a DA polisher and really bring it up to standard.
30181928104_f7db9f7e1f_b.jpg

30181929434_f2c77c4f42_b.jpg

When the ECU is installed I'll be back off down the MOT centre. Fingers crossed, it may still get to Croft at some point.

Titanium 182 FF
Looks ace!
What paint did you use for the grab handles/dash as mine are in a state but want something oem'ish looking like those! and secondly how do you find using the clubsport's with standard seat belts?

Lovely looking car. Same as my old one with the stripes, but much more care and attention on yours than mine ever got!

RenaultSport Clio 182
Looks ace!
What paint did you use for the grab handles/dash as mine are in a state but want something oem'ish looking like those! and secondly how do you find using the clubsport's with standard seat belts?
I used this stuff:
30184293944_89184040b8_b.jpg

It's hard to get a picture to show how the colour looks. The photo above of the door release and handle shows the difference between the original colour and the paint but it's not that close a match. The dash picture (hazard light panel and the stereo) shows the difference more accurately.

The Clubsport seat is the standard size, not the large and the belt sits snugly across me just fine. I'm a 32 waist and the seat is a snug fit. It may need to be routed through the hole for the MOT, I'm not sure yet.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate.
Thinking of buckets myself.
With the jon foz moubts have you got a slider rail for the seat or is it fixed in place?

RenaultSport Clio 182
The slider rails are in at the moment, they come with the Clubsport seat. The seat can also be attached without them. They are easy to fit with the only work being I had to take out the heater duct for the rear footwell. This just unclips so I can revert it all back to stock whenever.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Fantastic effort turning this around buddy! Really looks well in your latest drive photo with on the silver turinis fitted :smiley:

RenaultSport Clio 182
Cheers for the comments. The dent kit is the Am-Tech Dent Repair Tool kit. Only seven pounds on Amazon and it comes with everything you need, glue gun, release agent etc.. Not sure what it would be like on larger dents but for car door dings it pulls them right out, not perfect, but you have to really look for it to notice anything.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
The slider rails are in at the moment, they come with the Clubsport seat. The seat can also be attached without them. They are easy to fit with the only work being I had to take out the heater duct for the rear footwell. This just unclips so I can revert it all back to stock whenever.

I see.
I only ask as if i get the seats i think im going to get then i can buy the cobra mounts that have sliders already attached.
Saves faffing aroubd with side mounts etc.

Golf Gti edition 30
Looks great ! How did you go around mounting the buckle for the seat belt now you have a clubsport in ? Any pics ?

RenaultSport Clio 182
Picked up a Peugot 106 rear seat belt buckle on eBay. It's held in place on the rear subframe bolt, I'll post a pic up tomorrow when there's some light. It lies flat on the floor when not in use so you do have to reach down a bit further to get it but it's not much of a stretch.

RenaultSport Clio 182
Took a couple of pictures of how the 106 rear belt is attached. Poor quality sorry as it's so dark out at the moment - they are took under portable floodlight!

This angle is from the back looking forward - it's attached to the rear subframe mounting bolt and the rear of the (not fully attached) handbrake surround can be seen to the left of the bolt:
30765461382_1c69f39c4e_b.jpg

This is looking straight down the back of the seat facing the other way:
30793071461_71c044c407_b.jpg

The belt will just stretch to fit in the seat harness hole but when sat in the seat it's such a snug fit you can't easily get the belt to the opening. It does clamp you in still by fastening the belt over the top of the seat however.

Hope it helps.

RenaultSport Clio 182
It's a 2004 with the gated manual box. Only has pretty basic traction control so is very raw to drive compared to the later models - it revs up to about 8600rpm and the noise is something else.

Funnily enough I have more pics of the Clio, I should take more while I still have it (promised the missus I'd have it one year then spend it on the house. Three years ago..)

Poor quality, older pics sorry, but they do have both cars in:
22670089702_fd31e2bed5_b.jpg

22683646875_28254cd3c9_b.jpg

RenaultSport Clio 182
Finished the small MOT jobs today (checking lights, horn etc..) and cleared the code for the Airbag warning light since changing the drivers seat using the RS Tuner.

30992623332_cbd8959a1d_b.jpg

Also trimmed the A Pillars. Didn't use the genuine Alcantara but the cheaper version worked pretty well. Definitely fancy doing the roof lining next.
30329151963_633bf77861_b.jpg

31099764506_00c6fecfd2_b.jpg

30992618662_940aba3d95_b.jpg

Then installed an Alpine head unit, front speakers and subwoofer from an excellent thread I saw on here. Didn't go as far as that one (no rears changed or in-line amp used) but the sound already is loads better. There are no more rattles from the doors and now have bluetooth to save carting loads of CD's around.

The subwoofer control box fit nicely behind the clocks.
30768228000_91aebc705d_b.jpg

Although fitting all the leads (including a Connects2 lead to retain the steering controls) was a challenge.
30992619632_7f7a53dc5f_b.jpg

The cables do push over to the left of the head unit so it eventually all fit in nicely. The Connects2 lead hasn't worked with the display and steering control however, so I still need to check that out (got the update '005' version so it should work?)
30768225740_7b7e2e0a9b_b.jpg

30992617692_10787576c2_b.jpg

So tomorrow is the big MOT day! I'm still worried about it, although the new cat and lamba should sort the emissions out it has white smoke coming out of the exhaust once warmed up. The car has sat for over a month so I hope it's water and the cold weather. It still smoked after fifteen minutes running on the drive so a good run on the way to the MOT centre is in order I guess. There's no coolant loss, just oil usage. As the car hasn't has the nicest of lives and is on over 100k I suspect the worst - piston rings or valves - but we shall see tomorrow...

RenaultSport Clio 182
Woohoo, it only bleeding passed!

He had to rev the nuts off it to get the fast idle emissions to pass so I'll monitor the engine closely but I'm well chuffed. Can finally start checking out track day bookings.

Cheers to all who've helped out so far with bits and pieces, I'll update when I've sorted the next things out - polishing, roof lining, fatty induction kit...

It's getting to be a bit addictive.

Clio 182
Did the RS Tuner clear the SERV and airbag lights?
What else does the RS Tuner do? Not really explored it before...

Nice car.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I'm pretty sure you need 004 for the adapter lead. I bought 003 and had the same issue as you and spoke to the company I bought it off and they said I had the wrong one. New one replaced and I now have stalk control and clock wording, although it only says renault.

RenaultSport Clio 182
Did the RS Tuner clear the SERV and airbag lights?
What else does the RS Tuner do? Not really explored it before...

Nice car.

The RS Tuner did clear the SERV light that was caused by the airbag although you do have to purchase the airbag add on for the module from the website. I also used it with the ABS add on to bleed the brakes. It's been a brilliant bit of kit and I haven't even loaded the remap from it yet which is what most use it for I think.

RenaultSport Clio 182
What suedette is that mate? Got a link? Looks a really good colour!

I bought the material on EBay. Ive just looked for the link and can't find it, I wish I could though as I want more to do the roof lining! I'll keep searching and post it up if I recognise it though.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Just read through all of this - really impressive turnaround! Turinis in white to match the stripes would look great.