ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Tyres - Feedback and Recommendations

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I've just replaced the ones that i had on the Megane, Had them on 15 months, done about 20k plus 5 TD's. Thats the rears mind you fronts didn't last anywhere near as long LOL Think they done about 8k plus Td's, Still impressive mind you

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Oh. There was a cup at Oulton on sat (don't think he's on here) that was quick and looked to be on 17's. There's a possibility it was on itbs but even so it seemed to go well

@bob the builder

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
So a day at Oulton

Cold, bit damp in the morning but overall conditions were as good as you can expect this time of year.

Re050's. Started with 25 front, 24 rear. First couple of laps were 'ok' but they didn't have the best grip, inspiring not much confidence.

Marangoni zeta semi slicks. Again started with the same pressures. First few laps were good, seemed to grip ok but took a bit to warm up. I appreciate it was a cold day. Once up to temp ish the tyres worked very well, a step up from the above. Lap after lap they got better and I think if it was a warmer day they would cope well. Overall a very good tyre, better than the rsr I've tried and probably on par with ad08's I tried.

The re050's were on 16's, marangoni were on 15's.

What was the ambient temperature on the day?

I find the RE050s great on track but they need a lot of heat to get the best from them.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Regardless of tyre cost has anyone used 16" wheels on track against using 15's with the same tyre?. If so have you found alot of difference?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Out of interest. Lets say the weather is 6 degrees how long would it take a track based tyre to get upto operating temperature? 3 laps ish?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Okay thanks. So with that in mind what we looking at to get them working to their best, realtivly mild/warm day?

Track 172 Cup
what do you use for adjusting your tyre pressures at track? Just a cheap battery compressor pump or foot pump and to check them just a digital gauge?

Track 172 Cup
I was always under the impression track temps vary compared to ambient air temps like if the sun has been beating down all day on the tarmac it will be hotter than the air temperature around it.

182cup & 172 racecar
Can't remember the cross over, ie, in air to track temps.

Eg. Air 10 track 6
Air 20 track 26
Somewhere in there is the cross over point.
Air 18 track 18 (not correct btw)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
That would maybe explain why it took a while then. I'm genuinely interested in tyres etc (hence me starting the thread) so any advice is great

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting Tony, never knew there was that relationship between ambient and track.

Does maybe explain why the Bridgestones didn't perform that well, as soon as ambient is in low single digits they pretty much give up.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I allways kind of guessed it would be like that, same with the temp of the road in relation to the heat, makes sense really. I went for a spin today with the marangoni's and considering the crap wether they seemed to perform really well. I think I may have jumped the gun in not being overly satisfied with the tyres. When the weather warms up a tad I reckon they will be spot on

To be honest, a lot fo that comes down to the car, your loyalty and price, but I mean things like camber curves, friction coefficient against normal force, or slip angle.

For instance, hankook ventus S1 evos grip well, but the steering feels dead due to the huge slip angles required to generate grip.

Clio Cup
Avon ACB10s
Super Super Good tyres , Mega Stiff sidewall , 195/45/15 , Got the tyres right down near the wear markers , battered them for a full day at Oulton Park , 4 Drivers , about 60+ laps , front tyres were show and the rears were very low , didnt manage to unstick them once , well apart from bouncing over the curbs which led to a spin

Wore faster than the Marangoni Zeta Linea , but offered more grip again

Quite stable pressure wise , started at 30 , rose to 32 with a few laps an stayed there

Clio Cup
Very Slick-like , almost look like cut slicks , they are an older design i think , they used to be the acb Avon that was a formula ford tyre in an even softer compound