ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Tyres - Feedback and Recommendations

Avon ACB10s
Super Super Good tyres , Mega Stiff sidewall , 195/45/15 , Got the tyres right down near the wear markers , battered them for a full day at Oulton Park , 4 Drivers , about 60+ laps , front tyres were show and the rears were very low , didnt manage to unstick them once , well apart from bouncing over the curbs which led to a spin

Wore faster than the Marangoni Zeta Linea , but offered more grip again

Quite stable pressure wise , started at 30 , rose to 32 with a few laps an stayed there

IIRC these are crossplies and need VERY different geometry setup to behave nicely.

Clio Cup
They had to be mounted at opposite corners from each other. as far as geomotry is concerned we didnt do anyhting drastic and they behaved superbly

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
For a used set of 888's with 2mm left (even wear) what we thinking price wise.

Also a used set with 3mm left. Both are 205/50/15's

mk1 Octavia VRS
Are PS3's suitable for track? I know they seem to be the recommended tyre on here for road but how do they fair up to track use?
Will be fine if you do the following:
* Set the pressures correctly so they wear evenly. I would start at low 30s then adjust them down once you have done a few laps and warned them up.
* Do a cool down lap and go back in as soon as you feel them starting to go off (if its dry)
* Drive properly - i.e. don't add more steering lock when the tyres have no more grip to give

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Will be fine if you do the following:
* Set the pressures correctly so they wear evenly. I would start at low 30s then adjust them down once you have done a few laps and warned them up.
* Do a cool down lap and go back in as soon as you feel them starting to go off (if its dry)
* Drive properly - i.e. don't add more steering lock when the tyres have no more grip to give
Perfect cheers! I'm assuming from that, the tyres need to be run at a higher pressure than usual to stop the outsides wearing down too quick?
Hopefully won't pushing them too much anyway since it'll be my first track day. More interested in getting my lines right and just learning how to handle the car properly really.

mk1 Octavia VRS
Perfect cheers! I'm assuming from that, the tyres need to be run at a higher pressure than usual to stop the outsides wearing down too quick?
Hopefully won't pushing them too much anyway since it'll be my first track day. More interested in getting my lines right and just learning how to handle the car properly really.
Tuition is really worthwhile when starting out to stop you getting into bad habits.

The pressure of your tyres will go up as they heat up so you will need to reduce the pressure you'd use on the road when the tyres are cold. It's less faff to stay them high and let some air out. If you haven't got one already then I'd recommend getting a digital tyre pressure gauge - I got an AA one from Amazon for about a tenner which seems to do the job well.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Tuition is really worthwhile when starting out to stop you getting into bad habits.

The pressure of your tyres will go up as they heat up so you will need to reduce the pressure you'd use on the road when the tyres are cold. It's less faff to stay them high and let some air out. If you haven't got one already then I'd recommend getting a digital tyre pressure gauge - I got an AA one from Amazon for about a tenner which seems to do the job well.
Ahh I read your post wrong. I thought you meant I'd need to start them low 30's and let the pressures go up as I got heat into them. So ideally I want to keep them around 30 when hot? I'll need to get myself a digital pressure gauge actually.

Also, a couple of the guys on here up my way who do track days have offered to sit passenger with me first time out, so I'll probably do that, but failing that I'd definitely be going for some tuition.

mk1 Octavia VRS
There are different opinions on it but I normally start at around 30psi cold then adjust them when hot so the fronts are low 30s and the rears are around 30. I'm running AD08Rs so pressures for other tyres might be a bit different due to sidewall stiffness. Likewise on a hot day the tyres might rise by more than 5psi after a few laps but in a cold day might rise only a couple of psi. It's not an exact science - need a bit of trial and error and to keep an eye on how your tyres are wearing.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
There are different opinions on it but I normally start at around 30psi cold then adjust them when hot so the fronts are low 30s and the rears are around 30. I'm running AD08Rs so pressures for other tyres might be a bit different due to sidewall stiffness. Likewise on a hot day the tyres might rise by more than 5psi after a few laps but in a cold day might rise only a couple of psi. It's not an exact science - need a bit of trial and error and to keep an eye on how your tyres are wearing.
Cheers for the advice mate, appreciated.

182cup & 172 racecar
Pressures fluctuate dramatically with track temps and driving style, so do keep checking them, otherwise you will kill a set of tyres in no time.
On a warm/hot day, the race car can start as low as 19psi in the front! (cold)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I'm picking some tyres up tomo. The chap has two near new 888's in sg 195/50/15's. Anyone interested as I won't need them. £80?

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
If you don't have a pyrometer, just use dressmakers chalk on the tyre shoulders:that will show you how far over the shoulders the road contact is, then adjust pressures accordingly

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Just used RSR's in 205/45/16 on Monday. Kept an eye on pressures all afternoon and didn't let them get above 30psi when hot.

They seem to perform well once I got the pressures right.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
In the wet R1R's are fantastic, make me go faster than I would like really, chew them to bits in the dry.

Ooh interesting .. Just put a set on the ph1 as wets mainly.

Was just going to run them on Saturday regardless of the weather but will see how dry it is/gets as the day progresses.

They seem more than fine on the road so far anyway.

Lower or higher pressures in the wet than the dry, Tony ? Still aim for same hot pressures ? Wot fink.

If you don't have a pyrometer, just use dressmakers chalk on the tyre shoulders:that will show you how far over the shoulders the road contact is, then adjust pressures accordingly

I actually used tyre dressing, once hot I set them at 30psi and there was less than 1" dressing left on the sidewall, this is what did the most damage to my RSRs, last time out I set them at 28psi cold and didn't touch them the rest of the day and they were much better!!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I just ordered a pair of NS-2R to replace my rapidly dying RSRs, hoping they will have stiffer sidewalls but still as grippy as the Federals, £104 delivered :smile:

My new car came with these on the front. It was chucking it down on the drive home and they seemed great. Very good in the dry too. They are very wide for a 195 profile tyre. As wide as 205 RSRs

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
A wet day at Oulton yesterday, think it's the first time ive been there when its rained for most of the day. Anyway.

In the morning for a couple of hours i ran my conti sport 2's, startted at about 27 cold and they went to about 33 when hot. Messed about with them and seemed to find a happy medium. Baring in mind the track was wet i thought they did well. I put my used 888's on at about midday took it for a couple of laps to try them and they seemed equal to the michelins tbh. It was only later on in the day 3pm ish that it started to dry and i went out for about twenty mins, big difference, huge in fact. By far the best tyre ive tried in the dry.

I'd like a bit of advice please. I ran my RSRs at 30psi hot and they didn't like it, one of the shoulders has all but gone but I'm concerned about this one bit......
43E35E1E-079B-4C37-A12C-D2F3383CC60C_zpsiffez6ue.jpg

I'd like to swap the fronts left to right and ideally run them one more day......opinions on whether they're ok or not?

182 ff/ 5 gt turbo
I'd like a bit of advice please. I ran my RSRs at 30psi hot and they didn't like it, one of the shoulders has all but gone but I'm concerned about this one bit......
43E35E1E-079B-4C37-A12C-D2F3383CC60C_zpsiffez6ue.jpg

I'd like to swap the fronts left to right and ideally run them one more day......opinions on whether they're ok or not?

Looks like it's gone through to the cords, I wouldn't be putting that anywhere near my car personally.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I run my AD08R at 30PSI cold, once up to temp they get to around 32-33PSI hot. The RSR I found need a bit more pressure than the AD08, try them around 31-32 cold