ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tim's Forged LY R26

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Here's my R26 looking sorry for itself. There hasn't been much progress yet as the oil pump is on back order.

0ECEF865-08A6-493D-9448-409DC8CB7CA1_zpstavrxa2k.jpg

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
RS Tuning have stripped down the engine now they have the parts required for the rebuild. Hold up was due to the oil pump being on back order so understandably they couldn't have my car stripped down taking up a ramp.

Paul has been in regular contact but his calls haven't been good news as the new engine is basically toast. It's hard to tell what caused the issue but from what Paul has said it points to it being poorly built.

Paul said he's never seen cams so badly scored and head is so bad he doubts it could be rescued. I believe the cams in new engine are the cams from the old engine (I asked for them to be swapped when the cam cover was resealed) so that's a new set of R26 or aftermarket cams needed! Hopefully the old head is in better shape.... The plan is to port the head and reuse the Supertec valves.

The crank from the new engine isn't going to be reused so the old crank is being sent off to be polished and balanced with the SMF and clutch.

The Wossner pistons are fine but need a new set of rings. That doesn't make much difference though as we were always going to bore the block out to 83mm to ensure it's round. I'm not sure if we're using the old block or new block but Paul is going to pick the block he thinks is in best condition. The Wossners will replaced replaced with CP pistons and the PEC rods will be reused.

The gearbox needs another £600 spent on it! I asked Paul to send it off, as it was popping out of 6th gear every 50 to 100 or so miles when driving at a constant speed, expecting it to be a simple/cheap fix. The transmission place say the damage is so small you wouldn't notice unless told to look for it but it needs a new selector hub and 6th gear to sort the problem.

Is this another Agency Transmission c**k up or bad luck?? I'm not sure. All I know is the issue wasn't present before Agency rebuilt the gearbox.

I could just live with the niggle as they say it doesn't really require fixing but last thing I want is to buzz the engine if it popped out of gear on track or at the Ring.

I don't regret forging the new engine as the old engine was tired and burning oil. I do though regret the expense of having to do it all over again and in hindsight I should have used RS Tuning or SJM to start off with.

I'll update when I get more news but hopefully it won't be too long before I can drive it again.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Same.
As soon as an engines been apart it very rarely stays reliable.

It can, but it is VERY reliant on who builds it. Which is why i tend to not bother, the mini is ok, but that was built by Sarah's brother & his dad, so done with a hell of alot of care.

The Megane, as with the Trophy of doom (sharkys), i think id simply stick a standard engine in & enjoy it. Good luck whatever you choose though Tim!!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Jesus. This is exactly the reason i never bother with modded engines.

Same.
As soon as an engines been apart it very rarely stays reliable.

It can, but it is VERY reliant on who builds it. Which is why i tend to not bother, the mini is ok, but that was built by Sarah's brother & his dad, so done with a hell of alot of care.

The Megane, as with the Trophy of doom (sharkys), i think id simply stick a standard engine in & enjoy it. Good luck whatever you choose though Tim!!

EFA! Lol! I've built a few performance engines now and a lot of it comes down to careful measuring, patience and research.
Using cheap components can also be another way for an engine to fail.

It's the reason I've gone with the charger tbh. Engine goes, just bolt another one in for £200 and off we go again. 250bhp is plenty for my driving abilities / appetite for going through engines.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
The head from my original engine is good to reuse. Paul and I have agreed the spec so hopefully it'll be back on the road in a month or two depending on how long the machining takes.

Spec is CP 83mm pistons, PEC rods, ported head with Supertec valves, updated spring set and standard cams

It's all about experience mate imo. To build a high performance motor requires it as there's so many little things that you can overlook. However, f4r's are a bit of a w**k engine whatever guise they're in!

I agree hence cutting my loses and going to RS Tuning instead of back to the original garage.

Gutting 😧 And eerily familiar.

Very! Hope your build is going ok.

Original engine is being rebuilt to the spec above. I could get a second hand standard lump but that could easily have it's own problems.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You'll be alright with cp pistons mate. They have superior ring tension when compared to the likes of wossners. Even the oe Renault rings are better than wossners!!

Btw, not forgot about the videos. Been stupid busy doing stupid s**t so I've not had chance to look yet.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Things are starting to progress. Crank etc has been balanced and block is being bored out to 83mm this week.

Once the machined parts are back with RS Tuning it should take a week to build up the engine and get it in the car.

I've changed my mind on the spec. Now it's having Catcam cams instead of standard cams. Reason for this is mainly to future proof the engine just in case I want more power at some point.

Hopefully it'll be ready for CSS as I've booked the morning track time and don't really want to take the Storm Grey 172.

340i
Things are starting to progress. Crank etc has been balanced and block is being bored out to 83mm this week.

Once the machined parts are back with RS Tuning it should take a week to build up the engine and get it in the car.

I've changed my mind on the spec. Now it's having Catcam cams instead of standard cams. Reason for this is mainly to future proof the engine just in case I want more power at some point.

Hopefully it'll be ready for CSS as I've booked the morning track time and don't really want to take the Storm Grey 172.

That's good news. Hopefully it will all start coming together soon :)

Any idea on the spec of cams they are fitting?

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
That's good news. Hopefully it will all start coming together soon :smile:

Any idea on the spec of cams they are fitting?

I just asked him to fit a set of cams so don't know the spec.

It should be built up next week, getting it back will depend on how quickly they can run it in for me.

340i
I just asked him to fit a set of cams so don't know the spec.

It should be built up next week, getting it back will depend on how quickly they can run it in for me.
There's a guy called Steven Johnson who's running 370hp on a TD04 hybrid, forged engine, cams and fuel system.

Was also built at RS Tuning :)

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
There's a guy called Steven Johnson who's running 370hp on a TD04 hybrid, forged engine, cams and fuel system.

Was also built at RS Tuning :smile:

Steven878? We swapped a lot of PM's last year while mine was being forged originally.

Paul said he's had one do 370bhp but didn't realise it was Steven's.

My plan is to enjoy then car for a while then if I ever want more power I can uprate the fuel system.

340i
Steven878? We swapped a lot of PM's last year while mine was being forged originally.

Paul said he's had one do 370bhp but didn't realise it was Steven's.

My plan is to enjoy then car for a while then if I ever want more power I can uprate the fuel system.
different Steven.

the guy with a 370hp one isn't on the forum

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Small update on the R26.

The bottom end is now built up with 83mm CP Carillo pistons, Manley rods, balanced crank and flywheel. The head is also on the engine and torqued up, delay now is waiting for Catcam to deliver the new cams. Delay is my fault for changing my mind last minute!

They've also installed a fuel line and hidden it behind the bulkhead to save time/hassle for when/if the fuel system is upgraded.

I'm thinking of going up Friday morning to see it as CS Saturday at Blyton Park isn't that far from Leeds.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Looking at getting some bits for more power on mine over the winter. What power is the fuel system good for?

The fuel system is needed for anything over 350bhp.

I see you're running 310bhp so I'd keep your engine as it is and concentrate on making the chassis improvements if I were you.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh 340-350 is my target. The biggest thing is more torque for me, it held back because of the standard rods. I can get steel rods for a very good price and keep the standard pistons. I'm also working on some cams that should give the same gains with a bit better spool and more top end than standard but cost 10x less than what's available, a little bit of work involved so its all stuff to look at over winter.

Chassis is done suspension wise, all I can do is save weight but I must keep the rear seats and I don't want to lose the aircon! So carbon bonnet, lighter battery, poly windows and some of the tar pads are as far as I can go.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
It's running and all back together now. Paul took it out for it's first drive this morning and has taken it home this evening to put some more miles on it.

I'm booked on the 7am flight from Southampton to Leeds Bradford so should be at RS Tuning by 9am. Surprisingly it costs £65 to fly and £130 to take the train!

I'll then spend the day running the engine in and return to RS Tuning on Thursday for mapping.

Looking forward to driving it again and seeing the results once it's mapped :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's running and all back together now. Paul took it out for it's first drive this morning and has taken it home this evening to put some more miles on it.

I'm booked on the 7am flight from Southampton to Leeds Bradford so should be at RS Tuning by 9am. Surprisingly it costs £65 to fly and £130 to take the train!

I'll then spend the day running the engine in and return to RS Tuning on Thursday for mapping.

Looking forward to driving it again and seeing the results once it's mapped :smile:
How much will it cost you in fuel to drive it back though! This is the most important question! Lol