ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle Body or Temp sensor?

1.2 16v Dynamique
Car: 2002 1.2 16V

Right, Firstly, apologies for the long post, I'm trying to give as much info as possible!

I was having a few issues with limp mode a few weeks back, I had Green Flag come out and take a look at it and they said it needs to go into a garage, not much they can do although he said it could be a temperature sensor problem, he unplugged it and it ticked over fine, put it back in and it was also fine. A week or so later I then took it to K-Tec for them to have a look at it (who were brilliant btw) and they diagnosed a possible throttle body or throttle sensor issue. I went with the cheaper option to start, that being a new pedal and it seemed to fix it!

It worked for weeks without an issue, but either this problem or a new one has returned worse than ever! I drove it back home 150miles with no problems, left it for a while, then went back out in it a few hours later and went around a small roundabout and it went into limp mode again, pulled over for a bit, waited for it to go but it didn't. After driving around and letting it rest for a bit, 10 minutes or so later it went and I was able to get home okay. The next day, same happened again but it wasn't coming out of limp so I left it and got it in the morning. When turning it on the problem from the previous night was still there but after a few revs when starting it went away and I was able to get it home okay. Last night, same again, went out in it, on the return journey it went into limp mode, had to leave it and go and recover it this morning. Started it up, problem was still there, sounded like it was struggling to tick over, every second and alternating rev sound (hard to explain without making the noise myself lol), but I remebered what the Green Flag guy did with the temp sensor so I unplugged it, turned it on and it was fine but the light was one (electrical fault light? looks like a heartbeat monitor with a spring underneath), plugged the sensor back in and it was fine, drove it home no problems.

Again, sorry about the essay, but does this still sound to you as a throttle body issue? Could it be a simple issue of a temp sensor as the pedal seemed to solve the other issue a few weeks back?

1.2 16v Dynamique
Update: Just went out in it again, was fine on the way there, limp mode again on the return journey, pulled over, unplugged the temp sensor thing. turned it on and off, put it back in and carried on and it was fine!

1.2 16v Dynamique
Sorry to bump, anyone else any ideas or do you think a corrosion to the wiring loom is what it is most likely to be?

Clio 182
You can try this.Look up behind the Accelerator pedal, there is a green connector with a yellow slide in the middle, it the same connector for the airbag pretensioners under your front seats but a different colour. Theres a tech note out to cut out the connector and solder the wires as the connector is putting the warning light on and causing loss of power as is with the airbag pretensioner connectors for pretensioner related faults.

1.2 16v Dynamique
So you think the pedal connector might be to blame? Not sure I should be cutting and soldering around that area, could it cause more problems? Would cleaning the throttle body help? How would I check the wiring looms?

Clio 182
Cut the wires one by one and solder it.It's very simple,just takes 10 minutes.I did and everything is fine.

1.2 16v Dynamique
Just to close this thread and try and give future views more of an idea if their car has similar symptoms, I replaced my water pump after discovering a leak and the problem has seemed to have gone away (touch wood). I've been driving the car for 2/3 weeks now and all is good. I imagine it was faulty to begin with, thus not cooling sensors down, throwing it into a fault. After being stood still for months on my drive, it broke completely so I had it replaced. Might be worth looking at. Hope this helps.