ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 running bad after o2 sensor and spark plug change

Clio 182 FF
Hey guys in need of some help again

So just changed my pre cat o2 sensor and spark plugs

Now the car feels like it’s holding back at like below 2.5 3k rpm and sometimes just sounds really rough at idle almost stalling.

One of the spark plug wire wouldn’t go all the way in properly tho, I’m gonna bet on that being the culprit for now. I’m gonna have an another look with a mate in an hour.
Any idea ? It kinda feels like the o2 sensor I changed is knackered although it’s brand new. No more light on the dash tho so I don’t really get it.

I used NGK IX spark plugs so not garbage and a Valeo unit for the o2 sensor so it should be okay too.

Any idea what could it be?

At idle it was running fine for a while and then after giving it a few kick of the throttle it started to idle really rough and then came back to normal after shutting it down and back on again.
If it was a spark issue it would misfire like crazy wouldn’t it? not just feel like it’s holding back power?

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely investigate the HT lead first, will definitely be rough if it's only running on 3.
Failing that though, I've read they can be a bit particular about the o2 sensors, not used a Valeo one personally, so can't say if they're good or bad, but Bosch ones are what tends to get recommended (if you bought one in a Renault box it would be a Bosch unit). I think the Bosch part number is LS6046 from memory.

Clio 182 FF
Definitely investigate the HT lead first, will definitely be rough if it's only running on 3.
Failing that though, I've read they can be a bit particular about the o2 sensors, not used a Valeo one personally, so can't say if they're good or bad, but Bosch ones are what tends to get recommended (if you bought one in a Renault box it would be a Bosch unit). I think the Bosch part number is LS6046 from memory.
The thing is it doesn’t sound like it’s running on 3 it sounds fine but just holds back power

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
The thing is it doesn’t sound like it’s running on 3 it sounds fine but just holds back power
Double checked the leads are going to the right cylinders? Cylinder 4 is on the left as you're looking at the front of the car on these I believe.

Clio 182 FF
Double checked the leads are going to the right cylinders? Cylinder 4 is on the left as you're looking at the front of the car on these I believe.
yeah all that’s fine as I said it runs pretty smooths for the first couple of seconds and then sometimes starts chugging like it’s choking on itself at idle

And then going for a drive with it just started to hold back power like crazy and then picking back up like nothing
Didn’t really wanna go above 4500rpm tho

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
yeah all that’s fine as I said it runs pretty smooths for the first couple of seconds and then sometimes starts chugging like it’s choking on itself at idle

And then going for a drive with it just started to hold back power like crazy and then picking back up like nothing
Didn’t really wanna go above 4500rpm tho
Does sound like o2 sensor. Access to live data logging to see what it's reporting?
Any different once the car's warm? When my pre cat lambda died it was awful when cold, but seemed almost normal once warm.

Clio 182 FF
Does sound like o2 sensor. Access to live data logging to see what it's reporting?
Any different once the car's warm? When my pre cat lambda died it was awful when cold, but seemed almost normal once warm.
yeah well it was at mid temp, not cold but not really warm either, my mate had the same symptoms at idle with a knackered o2 sensor but it was fine whilst driving that’s what I don’t understand

Clio 182 FF
and I can’t really do data logging with my cheap ass obd2 reader can I ? 😬

Clio 182 FF
UPDATE: It was indeed the o2 sensor… Fitted the old one back in and no more issue.. at least for now because I know this one is starting to fail as well just not as badly haha