ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The XBox One Thread

Honda. Tesla Someday
Ok I've caught up with this thread. I follow technology and Xbox/Ps4 very closely, so heres the deal now that I have a little time to type (been in hospital for days now! long story!)
Anyways...

Firstly regarding Xbox One vs PS4 on launch - why did Microsoft go from being the "winner" of the previous gen to falling behind this gen? Well a LOT of it of course had to do with the price, a £100 premium is asking a lot from some people. Whoever said its down to exclusive, I don't really agree with. Obviously if you want to play a Naughty Dog game then you'd buy a PlayStation (I love Naughty Dog too), but Xbox in no way has a lack of exclusives - in fact it often has more exclusives than the competition.

Secondly, the reveal of the Xbox One itself hurt Microsofts reputation a lot. Announcing an 'Always online' DRM box was not received well by anyone! Then a day later Sony has their conference and say "for the players" and really sticks it to Microsoft! What people don't know is that Sony actually had the same plan in terms of always on DRM. They had 24 hours to see the backlash Microsoft received and they reversed it and used it to their advantage. This, in many peoples eyes, made Sony the heroes of gaming!

Third - Kinect. Now, I personally love my Kinect, I used it every day - and now with Cortana (I have the preview beta) its *even better* - honestly, it works extremely well! BUT, people didnt like the first Kinect, so Kinect 2.0 was already tarnished by the 'bad' rep Kinect 1.0 had. The Kinect with Xbox One is actually a fantastic device, but hey we all have different tastes!

Finally, machine specifications. Right up until the announcements, the Xbox One was going to be the more powerful console. This was well known in the industry. It has 8Gbs DDR3 with ESRAM. The PlayStation 4 was going to have 4Gbs GDDR5. The reason everyone was so shocked at the PS4 reveal was that Sony made a last minute decision to increase it to 8Gbs GDDR5 - because the price of the Ram dropped far enough just in time for them to increase it.

Its funny how things change between generations. With the original Xbox, playstation owners said its all about the games, not the hardware. With the 360 vs PS3, playstation owners said its all about the games, not the hardware. Now with Xbox One vs Ps4? Its suddenly all about 1080P 60FPS and specs!!! So, what do you think Playstation owners are saying now that the Xbox Scorpio is confirmed as being 'the most powerful'? You guessed it - its now all about the games... no the hardware lol!

Regarding 'generation' gaps etc, what people need to remember is the way technology is moving these days. Back when the Xbox 360 and PS3 came out, for the time they were very powerful! The 360 in fact had a unified architecture (something that wasnt even on the PC side yet!). Hence, they lasted almost a decade!

So, the Xbox One and PS4 launch, but this time they are way behind PC's. Game devs are making games that look incredible on PC, but then suffer in some ways on console. Therefore we 'need' a refresh sooner these days than before. Some people say 'has the Xbox One / PS4 reached its potential already' in terms of graphic performance. Thats hard to measure. Saying a game had 'framerate issues' does not mean the console has reached its peak. Many things affect a games performance. The game engine, optimszation, the developers experience with the hardware etc. A game suffering from frame rate issues can easily be down to poor development, not the hardware itself. You can clearly see the vast difference in quality of games depending on which developer creates the game.

I don't know what else to say, but I hope this clears a few things up.

Overall, the Xbox One Scorpio does sound like it will be very impressive (for a console), and I for one am excited about it. The Xbox One Slim is also a great buy for the price, and offers 4K blu-ray support, HDR gaming etc. The family of consoles + 'play anywhere' is making the Xbox ecosystem in to something very attractive for consumers. More options for us is always a good thing. PS4neo I'm sure will be good, and if you ask me I think Sony will pull a fast one and upgrade their specs again.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I really don't think the hardware is the biggest factor, and it's also why I'm not convinced trying to out-power Sony is the answer to their problems. The majority of console gamers buy consoles because you buy them and they work, they don't get involved in PC because they can't be arsed with the hoo-ha - these people aren't interested in how floppy the console is etc.

<snip>
Fair and valid points mate, although I have slightly different opinions on some of those things you highlight. I do think that the hardware specs played a big part in terms of the initial success of the PS4. Sure, there's no doubting the fact that the Kinect added a not-insignificant chunk to the price of the Xbox One, but I feel that Microsoft would have fared much better had they had the edge in the specs department. The somewhat amusing thing is that, in reality, the difference between the two consoles is actually not that great.

Two areas that I feel Microsoft did have the edge were the exclusives and the indie market. Exclusives can be quite a subjective thing I guess but it was the lack of games (that I wanted to play) on the PS4 that led me to selling my Sony console. My thoughts were that the Xbox One offered the better gaming line-up (which was a feeling that rang true with the mainstream gaming press at the time, although that's not saying much).

Overall though, I do think your third point is the key. Regardless of who had the better specs or the best games line-up, Microsoft have always been playing catch-up with Sony (as far as brand loyalty and user base is concerned). Even if the Xbox One had been the same price as the PS4 at launch, even if it did have a technical edge, I think Sony's position would still see it as the successor in terms of console sales.

Third - Kinect. Now, I personally love my Kinect, I used it every day - and now with Cortana (I have the preview beta) its *even better* - honestly, it works extremely well! BUT, people didnt like the first Kinect, so Kinect 2.0 was already tarnished by the 'bad' rep Kinect 1.0 had. The Kinect with Xbox One is actually a fantastic device, but hey we all have different tastes!
What could have been... so many Kinect developments dropped (or shelved) due to the fact that Microsoft decided to relax their decision and allow Kinect-less systems to be sold :( I agree with you - it's a great piece of hardware. It's just a shame that we're never likely to see the potential of it nor the novel games and applications that were being developed around it.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Out of interest, what do you use your Kinect for @DeeKay86 ? I have mine plugged in but never use it really, except maybe shouting Xbox pause a couple times a week!

Nowadays I use it for voice commands (as I now have less space!). I did use it for the Xbox fitness stuff and a few things before, but since Microsoft made it an option rather than "with every console sold", there isn't much physical stuff to do with it anymore. So now, I walk in I say "hey Cortana, Xbox on", then I literally use voice commands for pretty much everything unless I'm playing a game! It works so well and the Cortana implementation even in the beta is great!

Honda. Tesla Someday
So Scorpio and also likely Neo will need a 4K TV to see the benefit, I currently use a 1080p projector, so had a gander at 4K projectors, £5k+; damn.
Don't forget - the Xbox One S is set to be the cheapest 4K bluray player on the market too!

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Is it Enemy Unkown or Within? Both amazing but Within is the 'upgraed' version
Within, IIRC. I've downloaded The Crew, once I'm free from the shackles of work and join the unemployed later today, I'll be online to play games

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
And that's why so many PS3 were sold, cheapest bluray player on the market!

Yea but the general sale of physical media has fallen off a cliff, and with the majority of people not really caring that much about the difference between 1080p and 4K sales won't be as significant.

If I was 'in the market' for a 4K BluRay player I'd probably buy one, like in 2007 when I was 'in the market' for a normal BluRay player and got a PS3.

Now like most people I just stream s**t off Netflix, so I'm not in the market for anything.

Last edited:
  Clio
Quick question, got Xbox Live working for little un yesterday because she wanted to play Minecraft but then found out because we haven't got any friends she couldn't just join any random game.
So questions......
Can you setup a kids account off my gamer tag, where she will have limited availability or do I need to create her a whole new account?

Will I need to buy another Xbox one and hide in the loft pretending to be her friend from the random internet for her to play online creative mode with someone else? She is only 8 so I can't figure out how she'll get friends?

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
For anyone interested in the Xbox One S, I made a video to help with decision making!

Hope this helps!

Great video thank you!

Personally I'm going to be one of those people waiting for 'Project Scorpio'

It will be interesting to see how much Microsoft will sell it for...

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Mito Sportiva 135
Scorpio is going to be amazing - apparently the PS Neo is out later this year and I'd be surprised if it has anywhere near the same spec.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I had no idea that they were remastering the Bioshock games. Bioshock Infinite was lovely on 360, on XBO I'm sure it'll look beautiful!

Out September 16th, right around the time the new Destiny expansion, and about a month before Battlefield 1 is released. As well as Skyrim!

Mito Sportiva 135
And X-Com 2!

Yes Infinite was a great game - but at the same time I have no real interest in playing it again...or Skyrim!

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
And X-Com 2!

Yes Infinite was a great game - but at the same time I have no real interest in playing it again...or Skyrim!
I never really gave either of them the time they deserved on my 360 (although the same could be said for Fallout 3/NV). So the plan is to play them as remastered games!

Goliath I
I see COD Black Ops (1) is now backward compatible. Had a look in CEX and Game for a copy and funny enough, the price has now shot up to £18...

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I see COD Black Ops (1) is now backward compatible. Had a look in CEX and Game for a copy and funny enough, the price has now shot up to £18...
BO1 is my favourite Xbox game, I have 3 copies of it! Such a great game

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Ohh might have to have a look see if I still have a copy laying around. Not sure I'd still enjoy it now though as I got bored of the cod platform completely. Halo 5 is my favourite fps at the minute.

malcolmgt

ClioSport Club Member
  MK Golf GTI
What people playing at the moment.

I downloaded crew for free with games with gold but wasn't a fan.
I did sink lots of hours into fallout 4 but now I don't have the motivation to play it, maybe because im not what bits I should be using. I mean I have sunk a lot of time into it but after a while it seems bit repetitive and I hate the building town bit ha.

SQ5
Downloaded it too, takes some getting used too with controls. We went and bought some extra controllers Friday night so four of us could all play night before my wedding!

Worked well as in the morning the pageboys played that while we had breakfast too!

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I'm trading my PS4 in against the Xbox One S Fifa 17 Bundle, I regretted buying the PS4 almost instantly as I've always been an Xbox guy so I'm finally chopping it in and all my games. Am I mad?

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Pre-ordered Forza Horizon 3 and the Bioshock remaster today. Gonna get Recore as well, and have also bought the new Destiny expansion.

And that's not including the releases in October! An expensive couple of months loom ahead, both in time and money

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got a copy of GTA 5 they don't use anymore? Chopped in my PS4 and games so need to get a few of my favourites back.