ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
The remainder of this afternoon and the evening are free... time to marry the Broadwell-E with this mobo and RAM...

IMAG1298_zpszcchblnh.jpg

Thanks for the recommendations @Silent_Scone :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well - new build up and running first time. F**k me, what a beast. It's laughable how much of a performance increase I've seen in my software (that is heavily multi-threaded). Time to play with it a bit...

IMAG1330_zpskndcswpd.jpg

IMAG1327_zpslaci9wni.jpg

Winning m8!

You're one of the few people I know who would actually use the beefy bandwidth of the X99 setup!

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Which CPU you using now Sharky?

I'm considering a 6800k or 6850k.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just if anyone is interested (or you know someone who may be interested), I have a few bits for sale...

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/pc...sus-deluxe-dual-mobo-corsair-16gb-ram.799622/

How is this likely to compare with my current setup of an AMD FX-8320 CPU and Asus M5A97 mobo, with some unbranded 8Gb DDR3 RAM?

Been thinking about upgrading my PC for a while now and that caught my eye. Current setup isn't bad, but it's a few years old and I'm looking for a bit of futureproofing. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade? A quick google seems to suggest the CPU's aren't massively different in performance.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
How is this likely to compare with my current setup of an AMD FX-8320 CPU and Asus M5A97 mobo, with some unbranded 8Gb DDR3 RAM?

Been thinking about upgrading my PC for a while now and that caught my eye. Current setup isn't bad, but it's a few years old and I'm looking for a bit of futureproofing. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade? A quick google seems to suggest the CPU's aren't massively different in performance.
Hi mate - obviously you might think my opinion is a bit biased as I'm selling the bits but the i7-4770K quite comprehensively out-performs the AMD across the board. It's also a newer manufacturing process, runs cooler, draws less power, has built-in GPU (if needed) and a few other benefits too. The motherboard is also towards the higher-end along with the RAM and the parts were deliberately bought to compliment each other. I would happily have kept this system had an unexpected upgrade not tempted me! By all means please feel free to seek opinions or check out the specs / benchmarks for the components I'm selling; they are good quality components :)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi mate - obviously you might think my opinion is a bit biased as I'm selling the bits but the i7-4770K quite comprehensively out-performs the AMD across the board. It's also a newer manufacturing process, runs cooler, draws less power, has built-in GPU (if needed) and a few other benefits too. The motherboard is also towards the higher-end along with the RAM and the parts were deliberately bought to compliment each other. I would happily have kept this system had an unexpected upgrade not tempted me! By all means please feel free to seek opinions or check out the specs / benchmarks for the components I'm selling; they are good quality components :smile:

Slight error in my post, was an FX-8350 I have, not that it makes a massive difference. Any info I've found is pretty much the same as what you've said! The comparison between them I found on cpuboss.com was quite conclusive lol, although tbh it's mainly my motherboard I want to upgrade, but AMD options seem limited and the price of a brand new Intel processor to go with it put me off!

Going to double check funds this month lol and I'll get back to you mate :smile:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I wish I'd gone with an 'Extreme' CPU earlier as I'm really in a position to take advantage of the cores and bandwidth it has to offer.

I went down the Extreme route on my first i7, nabbing it for £120 a good few years ago and superseding the 930 I had in at the time. A bit wasted on me really as 99% of the time it was used purely as a gaming PC. Though being able to do 4Ghz straight out of the box for a 2008 spec CPU is pretty impressive - I'm only running at 4.7Ghz on my current CPU!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Oops - just bought a brand new GPU at a bit of a bargain price... I'm now torn as to whether or not to sell the new GPU for a significant profit, to sell my 'old' GPU (which is only months old and has transferrable warranty) and make a profit on that, or to add the new GPU alongside my 'old' one in SLI. Decisions, decisions. To be honest, SLI is such a pain in the ass I'm going to stick with a single card solution.

I'm quite happy with the new system spec and how it performs now; bit of a bargain system as well considering! I'm just waiting for a new PSU to arrive *cough* :wink: On full whack the system stays nice and cool but it doesn't half heat up the man cave!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm a bit sad to see the 980 Ti SC going as it's an absolutely fantastic card and performs superbly... but when offered a brand new 1080 GTX for peanuts I couldn't say no.

IMAG1337_zpsvduhocq2.jpg

IMAG1342_zpshwkixqij.jpg

IMAG1345_zpscmhbihhi.jpg

The current rig should now see me good for a while. I might invest in some more 'regular' SSD storage and/or NVMe M2 SSD items but that should do for now. The 980 Ti SC will be going up for sale if you know anyone who might be interested in it.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Well the one in the link is £900 with no operating system, which is another £75 on top, so I take it there's a bit more that can be added to this budget?

Edition 30 / GSXR750
Well the one in the link is £900 with no operating system, which is another £75 on top, so I take it there's a bit more that can be added to this budget?

Cheaper the better really, just want to be able to run most new games. Windows 10 can be had for £13 at the moment as well

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
What resolution are you planning on gaming in?

You can buy something for £500 that would run most new games but they won't look pretty.

It's usually cheaper and better in the long run if you build your own, very easy to do these days too.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Well... it looks like AMD might be back in the game... Ryzen is looking interesting.
It is very very interesting, the thing that makes all the difference is going to be price. If they can undercut Intel by a decent margin they're on to a win.

They don't even have to be as good, just so long as they are in the ball park especially for gaming. Yes the 8 core is cool but I'm more interested in the 4 core with and without hyperthreading as that's where the largest market share is really as far as gaming is concerned.

If the current benchmarks they are showing are anything to go by then I'm quite excited for this now

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Received my Asus Claymore 100% today but can't open it as the wife has decided its my Christmas present, not that it bothers me as it looks like my new office won't be setup until the new year now.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So I'm looking to build myself a pretty reasonable spec gaming pc. I've started putting a list together of the bits I want however I'm still a few bits short. So far I've got:

• GPU- EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 6GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC), Only 6.8 Inches Graphics Card 06G-P4-6163-KR
  • CPU cooler- Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler CW-9060021-WW
  • Case- Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-ALPHA Mid-Tower Gaming Case, White/Red
  • RAM (Memory)- Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit
  • Power supply- Corsair CP-9020037-UK Professional Series AX860i ATX/EPS Fully Modular 80 PLUS Platinum Digital Power Supply Unit, 860 W
Yet to decide on CPU and motherboard. On the motherboard side of things I'd really like something with Wifi built in, USB-C connectors (1 or 2 probably enough). CPU wise I'm thinking Intel i7 but theres far too many to chose from so not sure here.

I'll wack in a couple of SSDs and HDDs but these are easy to decide on.

Any help guys would be appreciated.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
For gaming only, and going by your choice of graphics card, I'd say you could half the RAM and get a lower rated PSU.

If it's an i7 you're after then the 6700k should be fine. Not sure on the motherboard, but I'd be looking at Asus personally.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Bit of a difference in graphics card there!

May as well stick with 32GB of RAM.