ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

It might need to be powerful enough for photo editing, depending on what the OH does. (Last question then I'll piss off back to console chat!)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It might need to be powerful enough for photo editing, depending on what the OH does. (Last question then I'll piss off back to console chat!)
Take it this is a PC someone's offered you?/You've seen for sale?

To be honest for photo editing I'm not sure what's what. Though I'd be amazed if an i7 of any age was incapable of doing photo editing and your OH would probably know if she needed some serious and modern tech.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
That spec should be ok for photo editing with Photoshop unless you are doing some seriously high-resolution work with many layers and composites. If that's the case then you'd be better off with a faster CPU, 16GB RAM and SSD for storage. If you did put a better graphics card in there then Photoshop will also take advantage of that as it can use the GPU to speed up various functions and processes.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Not had a desktop for a long while now, keep building up a wish list and bottling it before pulling the trigger :wink:
After something small but powerful (loved my old shuttle), saw one of those nCase M1s on another forum which looked smart for a mini itx with decent space but still small.
If I start buying the odd component here and there might finally get me to do it... :wink:

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I love my Corsair 250D mini-ITX machine, even though my main rig (Corsair 900D) is in some ways more capable you can't help but love the simplicity of the smaller machine.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I love my Corsair 250D mini-ITX machine, even though my main rig (Corsair 900D) is in some ways more capable you can't help but love the simplicity of the smaller machine.
One of those with an ASRock X99 board and as much RAM as it'll take maybe :)

Evo 5 RS
One of those with an ASRock X99 board and as much RAM as it'll take maybe :smile:
That board is trash. You can put x2 16GB sticks in it, but considering it's only two DIMM the topology should let you clock it quite well. Not the case, besides which who wants dual channel on a quad channel platform?

Pile of donkey s**t

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Thought that'd be the case as it must be the only board out there for a reason lol.
Annoying as I want small but still needs some beef for things I'm running, can't have everything though!

Evo 5 RS
Thought that'd be the case as it must be the only board out there for a reason lol.
Annoying as I want small but still needs some beef for things I'm running, can't have everything though!

If done right, it could be ok. It's just a weird SKU anyway, given the limitations. X99 is all about bandwidth.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah just reading about it and doesn't seem ideal, as handy as having a few more cores would be that would mean going for something bigger to do it properly.

A shiny black one.
Has Nvidia done away with the mobile variants of thier graphics cards with the 10** cards? If so does anyone know if they offer the same performance in a laptop setup?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Has Nvidia done away with the mobile variants of thier graphics cards with the 10** cards? If so does anyone know if they offer the same performance in a laptop setup?
Laptop setups will never be the same performance as the desktop cards.

They did a full 980 in a laptop last round, but that was once the TitanX and 980Ti was out so it wasn't top dog by a long shot anyway.

A shiny black one.
Laptop setups will never be the same performance as the desktop cards.

They did a full 980 in a laptop last round, but that was once the TitanX and 980Ti was out so it wasn't top dog by a long shot anyway.
I should have googled harder, I see now that the laptop variant of the 1070 card has a higher shader count but lower clock than the desktop variant. What threw me was the configurators I've been using don't list the 1070 as a '1070M'

A shiny black one.
That's not cheap. Neither is this, http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-predator-21x/preview/

This is what I'm thinking of going for.
Octane Series: 15.6" Matte 3K IPS LED Widescreen (2880x1620) (£89)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
16GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1, G-SYNC
Memory - Hard Disk
2TB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
2nd Hard Disk
2TB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
M.2 SSD Drive
128GB SAMSUNG SM951 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2000MB/R, 650MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
128GB SAMSUNG SM951 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2000MB/R, 650MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ WIRELESS-AC 1535 M.2 GAMING 802.11AC + BLUETOOTH 4.1
USB Options
4 x USB 3.0 PORTS (1 x POWERED) + 1 e-SATA/USB 3.0 PORT COMBINED
Battery
Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Keyboard Language
OCTANE SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£89)
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MP FULL HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£19)
Delivery
PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-NOON (£9)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS
The laugh is it's SLi-ing 1080s... so you can play on a widescreen 1080p display. Overkill much?

I have two Titan's currently and play on wide aspect at 21:9 1080 on the premise of targeting 200fps.

Why? Because I've done 4K, 3440, and there is no great disparity

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Meant for someone who will connect to an external display when they get home...duh.

But then you've got 2 desktop cards trying to dissipate heat through a laptop chassis, which always goes well. For £4k you'd be much better off having 2 seperate machines!

I have two Titan's currently and play on wide aspect at 21:9 1080 on the premise of targeting 200fps.

Why? Because I've done 4K, 3440, and there is no great disparity

I'd disagree. There is a HUGE difference between 1080p and 4k, but the smaller your screen is, the less noticeable that difference is. On a 21" display you'd barely notice, on a 40" one (which I use), it's absolutely night and day.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
But then you've got 2 desktop cards trying to dissipate heat through a laptop chassis, which always goes well. For £4k you'd be much better off having 2 seperate machines.

Not that I disagree with you but there are people in the world who's circumstances match with the spec of that laptop and they will buy it.

A shiny black one.
I've bought the laptop, I understand the point about the expense, but circumstances have changed and until I move I can't have my desktop set up in the house.

Evo 5 RS
But then you've got 2 desktop cards trying to dissipate heat through a laptop chassis, which always goes well. For £4k you'd be much better off having 2 seperate machines!

I'd disagree. There is a HUGE difference between 1080p and 4k, but the smaller your screen is, the less noticeable that difference is. On a 21" display you'd barely notice, on a 40" one (which I use), it's absolutely night and day.

I had a 40" Phillips VA, the wow factor doesn't last more than a few days.

3440 21:9 is the sweet spot. Any larger than 29", then fast paced shooters, especially online, become more of a chore. If only having the one panel, then the latter makes more sense, as it caters to all things.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
So guys... any recommendations for thermal paste / compounds to use? I am upgrading my CPU and mobo and need to remove (and clean) the cooler block before attaching to the new CPU.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I bought whatever the recommended one was on Toms last time I looked. But I got a tube with my Noctua cooler so just used that instead as it didn't need cutting.

I'm not an overclocker but it's done fine so far (1.5 years in so far no issues)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got recommendations for mouse/mousepad/keyboard?

Just smashed my very old Icemat (the black one), it lasted many years. Also really should change both keyboard and mouse, long overdue too. Current keyboard is a Sidewinder X4, mouse is a Logitech MX518

Something mechanical (on the quieter end if possible) and similar in shape/size as my current mouse if possible. No real budget, just not too mental.

Evo 5 RS
Anyone got recommendations for mouse/mousepad/keyboard?

Just smashed my very old Icemat (the black one), it lasted many years. Also really should change both keyboard and mouse, long overdue too. Current keyboard is a Sidewinder X4, mouse is a Logitech MX518

Something mechanical (on the quieter end if possible) and similar in shape/size as my current mouse if possible. No real budget, just not too mental.
Strafe RGB and Roccat Pure here. The Pure is by far the best mouse I've ever used

http://www.roccat.org/en-GB/Products/Gaming-Mice/Kone-Pure-Series/Kone-Pure-Military/

Evo 5 RS
Strafe RGB is brilliant, I messed around with the profiles for a little while after owning it - always come back to the rainbow ones lol. Gaybo.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Strafe RGB is brilliant, I messed around with the profiles for a little while after owning it - always come back to the rainbow ones lol. Gaybo.
I also have a rainbow one. It's so preeetttyy

I discovered that CUE2 was causing me lag in games, removed some dlls as per a post on Corsairs forum and it seems to have done the trick. Apparently a known bug.