ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Evo 5 RS
heh, yeah the price is madness. 1080 has only been out 3 months, too. Makes me wonder if they know something about Vega we don't (probably not).

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, Pascal TITAN X announced - availability in August.

Last chance before i list this 6900k. I'm willing to let it go at a bargain price!
Someone's going to get a bargain CPU. If my circumstances were different I would have bitten your arm off mate. Oh well, next time!

What's that mate, you've already planned your TITAN X (Pascal) SLI setup? :)

Evo 5 RS
Guess what, the Irish potato who bought a 6800K OEM cpu that was new off me (fully working) has contacted me through ebay requesting a return 'faulty or defective'.

f**king idiot, better not have killed it. I'm calling him out on it, he's taken over a month to test it. Apparently he moved house. Whole thing stinks, and I'll probably end up with a potato back. It's probably the board, how do you even brick a CPU these days?

I've been through everything with him and he's being dismissive about contacting ASUS support as well. Asked him several times.

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Guess what, the Irish potato who bought a 6800K OEM cpu that was new off me (fully working) has contacted me through ebay requesting a return 'faulty or defective'.

f**king idiot, better not have killed it. I'm calling him out on it, he's taken over a month to test it. Apparently he moved house. Whole thing stinks, and I'll probably end up with a potato back. It's probably the board, how do you even brick a CPU these days?

I've been through everything with him and he's being dismissive about contacting ASUS support as well. Asked him several times.
Shitter. :(

What's his eBay feedback like? Has he traded a lot, or a newbie?

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Ugh sorry man I know exactly how that feels.

I sold my R9 290 on eBay last year and the guy emailed me asking to return it as faulty a couple of weeks later. I too, being a nerd, walked him through diagnostics trying to be as diplomatic as possible.

Eventually (about a week of long emails to and from) he took it to a PC shop and they confirmed his PSU was faulty. But before he confirmed that I really thought he was scamming me and that he was going to send me his old bricked card.

If I ever sell hardware on eBay again I will be noting the serial numbers just in case. Like you say, I don't know how you brick a CPU these days (without dropping it in water right before plugging it in).

Evo 5 RS
Ugh sorry man I know exactly how that feels.

I sold my R9 290 on eBay last year and the guy emailed me asking to return it as faulty a couple of weeks later. I too, being a nerd, walked him through diagnostics trying to be as diplomatic as possible.

Eventually (about a week of long emails to and from) he took it to a PC shop and they confirmed his PSU was faulty. But before he confirmed that I really thought he was scamming me and that he was going to send me his old bricked card.

If I ever sell hardware on eBay again I will be noting the serial numbers just in case. Like you say, I don't know how you brick a CPU these days (without dropping it in water right before plugging it in).

Serial is on the CPU thankfully. He's sent me a few pics of the socket, showed the board displaying 00. Using a Noctua cooler, I've told him and eBay I'm not willing to take it back as I know it to be working. Intel failure rate across all SKUs is something like 0.2%. Luck of the Irish.

I said it's far more likely to be something he has done, or the board will need to be returned. After message after message, he's finally said he has had an RMA authorised for the board. Meanwhile, I'm in a negative balance on PayPal thanks to this complete dolt. Feeding me the sob story that he's moved in with his mate as he's having a liver transplant, so hasn't had a chance to test it (it's been over 30 days, buyers get 45 on ebay!). I couldn't care less, he didn't even bother to message me first.

Most interesting part apart from the fact he's taken so long, is that when I asked him to use USBFlashback (I specifically requested he use this) He said he'd already updated using EZFlashtool. When I said that wouldn't be possible unless the system POST, he went back on that and said he meant USBFlashtool.

So the c**t is probably lying, and something has stopped working since.

He's either lying, or he's incompetent and trying to fob eBay off is easier than either returning his board, or admitting he's fucked the CPU.

Shitter. 😧

What's his eBay feedback like? Has he traded a lot, or a newbie?

More than mine, one neutral as he sent the wrong screen to someone, but 100%, as am I. but with 124 stars, against his 200. Doesn't make him any less of a potato, though.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
eBay feedback really means nothing. That's a shame @Silent_Scone Like I said, I know what it's like when you think someone is using eBays protection to do you over. Feels bad man!

An alternative, is that there's nothing wrong with the CPU and that he has just had a change of mind and wants his money back.

I think buyers of used PC parts are a certain sort of special from what I've seen. The AMD 290 I sold was nothing but trouble. I sold it initially to a chap, I paid for a courier and then before I'd sent it he contacted me begging for a refund as he had just gone and bought a new iPhone but needed the £170 he'd paid me to get him out of his overdraft.

I was like "WTF". I even contacted eBay and they said "Since you said no returns, you're fully entitled to deny him the return (even though you've not sent it) and post it"

I then asked them, what happens if he gets it and claims it's faulty. They said "Well if it's faulty then you will be liable to refund him and have the product returned".

I didn't fancy the hassle so gave him all his money back (he even proposed me giving him a partial refund, but I figured I don't need £20 that badly etc etc).

In the end I listed it again but for £30 more (it sold in hours the first time round) and it sold the next day to the chap who had a dodgy PSU.

I think eBay's policy is fair, just because you or I are not official traders/merchants doesn't mean that buyers should suffer. This is exactly the type of thing Amazon goes through when someone sends back a 6950X box with a 2500K in its place. They have to issue the refund because policy and it's less trouble, but really it's some scum stealing from them. The alternative is something like the Friday ad with no protection. It's just one of those things really, I'll still sell on eBay because largely it's an easy experience for me, but I am questioning whether it's worth it for PC parts and whether I'd be better off just trying to flog bargains to family and friends.

Evo 5 RS
Just had this from him.

Got the motherboard sent away today for RMA with the retailer. They had silly issues with their email preventing them from receiving the pictures to confirm that I bent no pins on the socket, had to eventually call them and organise and then send them to their official FB page.

The board is in the post to them now. I will keep you updated on its progress.

This is after me pushing him. I'm not sure what to make of it, why would he open a case for the CPU if he was planning on RMA'ing the motherboard anyway??

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
I'm allowed my next GPU when this one starts under performing. Are there any details out of interest though?

What happened with your CPU saga by the way?

I got word from CCL online that they found his board to fail POST tests. He was honest and came back with the same. He got a refund for the board. Says he should have one by Thursday to test it, but at this stage i dont care. The guys clueless, i tried to escalate the case and ebay decided in his favour in f**king seconds. Seconds! It would take at least 20 minutes to read through the correspondence. Im still waiting on him testing it with his new board, but he has until the 12th to return it.

f**king idiot.

Evo 5 RS
Since I bought my 1070 I think I've played like 10 hours worth of games on it.. it's mainly been used to view Netflix

Speaking of that card, built this for someone

Fractal Nano ITX
ASUS Impact 8
i7 6700K @ 4.5/4.5
16GB 3600 C16
1TB Samsung EVO 850
4TB Western Digital Green
Supernova 850P2 (With Eco mode on)
MSI Seahawk 1070GTX

It's quiet as a mouse, tbh. Not normally a fan of off the shelf builds, but this is a really well balanced box. I want to keep it lol.

uC6vNDc.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Since I bought my 1070 I think I've played like 10 hours worth of games on it.. it's mainly been used to view Netflix
Standard. When I got my Ti I played BF4 and GTA5 for a few hours to see how good the graphics are, and then went back to my Moba of choice (which runs DX9 and doesn't need a graphics card to play).

Still, nice to know you've got it if you need it right ;)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Standard. When I got my Ti I played BF4 and GTA5 for a few hours to see how good the graphics are, and then went back to my Moba of choice (which runs DX9 and doesn't need a graphics card to play).

Still, nice to know you've got it if you need it right :wink:
Tbf it was released in the weird summer lull where there's not many new games I want to play. No Mans Sky soon (if its any good) so it'll probably get used to death for that

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Same here. Got at least half a dozen 'stressful' games for the gfx lined up and I'm still on Warframe. Worse, I'm playing Kingdom Rush Frontiers too - which would probably run on a fag packet.

Evo 5 RS
That Potato is sending the CPU back.
Is it normal for eBay / Paypal to release funds to a seller before you've received the item back from the buyer?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
That Potato is sending the CPU back.
Is it normal for eBay / Paypal to release funds to a seller before you've received the item back from the buyer?
I think they need to provide proof of postage that's all.

Chances are it'll be fine - annoyingly though you'll need a way to test it!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Just had a lucky escape. Knocked a glass of water over, hadn't realised some had dripped into/onto the case below (crack in the desk). Video I was watching started artefacting so I shut it off.. little drips of water on the back of the card (which isn't an issue, it's a cover), and then a few drops inside the socket which probably caused the artefacts. Dried it out, fired it up, ran through a benchmark for 20 minutes or so to get everything warm and it doesn't appear to have broken anything

Resilient f*****s, PC components!

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
So I've finally ordered a Samsung 850 Evo 500gb SSD and an MSI 1070 Armor OC.

Looking forward to maxing out all my games!

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
This evening I said f**k it and ordered the following to go with the bits I ordered yesterday...

i5-6600k,
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Mini itx Motherboard,
16gb corsair vengeance ram,
2tb seagate hdd.

Evo 5 RS
My X99 Deluxe II died the other night. Came home and it just decided it didn't want to POST anymore! First failure for me in 15 years. First thing I was looking for was leaks or physical damage to see if the sprog had been near it. No such luck, seems it had just had enough!

Don't want to create a new thread but just want someone to tell me if this PC spec would be any good for general computing bits, mainly Word etc but maybe photoshop in the future. Would chucking an ok graphics card in be enough?

- 500GB HDD
- 8GB RAM
-2.93GHz speed
-Intel quad i7-870 processor
-Windows 10

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Don't want to create a new thread but just want someone to tell me if this PC spec would be any good for general computing bits, mainly Word etc but maybe photoshop in the future. Would chucking an ok graphics card in be enough?

- 500GB HDD
- 8GB RAM
-2.93GHz speed
-Intel quad i7-870 processor
-Windows 10
Enough for what?

If you mean just using the web and no power user activities (video editing etc) then sure. Any spec will be fine.

If you mean games then that CPU is getting on a bit now but it would mostly depend on what GPU you chose.

And yes you should have started a new thread, this is Power PCs :p