ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

F82 M4
Looking at those charts mate it's a massive leap lol.

The 770 is basically a re-branded 680.

A 690 is still well over £700. :)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Just got my bosses gaming laptop, then stumbled across a gtx660 2gb card for it on ebay going cheap.

Looking at it doesn't seem like a lot but it probably is lol. The 7970 is a good card but I will be getting another monitor soon and want it to be awesome.

If you're not already on overclockers uk then get over there and have a look, there's endless threads on the 7970 vs the 680/770 etc and it's one big argument. At the end of the day look at what card performs best with the games you want to play. I've had no problems.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
My Ram is coming tomorrow too :D

sheep_blackfaced_ram1.jpg

Hellooooooooooooooooooo

F82 M4
If you're not already on overclockers uk then get over there and have a look, there's endless threads on the 7970 vs the 680/770 etc and it's one big argument. At the end of the day look at what card performs best with the games you want to play. I've had no problems.

There's not much in it IMO. Plus I like the idea of Physx you get with Nvidia cards.

Nissan 350z
COH2 made me realise my current "gaming laptop" isnt up to scratch so im currently searching for an alternative.

So far I've narrowed it down to:
Alienware 14 (new model, still expensive + bulky)
Lenovo Ideapad Y510 (not yet available in the UK)
MSI GE40 (came out in June, no backlit keyboard + potential heat issues)

I've dismissed most of ASUS/Acer due to their use of cheap base chassis. If im spending this kind of cash i want to at least have some form of build quality/finish so an ally chassis is important to me. The new Razer Blade 14 would be my first choice but no sign of any UK release :(

The MSI is edging it for me currently partly due to being cheaper but having 2yrs warranty as standard and being the lightest option.

Evo 5 RS
I know im not one to talk about buying things but never seen the logic in gaming laptops. Theyre old before you get time to unbox them.

Nissan 350z
I know im not one to talk about buying things but never seen the logic in gaming laptops. Theyre old before you get time to unbox them.

I'm not doing it out of choice mate so for me as valid as your point is, its just the circumstances I have to live with.

MSI one looks better and the spec is good for the price compared to the others.

Cheers that was my thoughts as well. My only concerns are some of the reviews mention heat issues:
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/msi-ge40-2oc-009us .aspx
I dont know how much of this is just a fuss out of nothing though. Afterall you cant expect to play games without heat thats basic physics afterall.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

I usually agree but was offered my latest Alienware mx15 at a price I couldn't refuse plus a steam account with over 85 games lol.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
So... I decided to chance the new nVidia 320.49 WHQL drivers last night. So far so good. No BSOD's like I had on 320.18 and my GPU hasn't gone pop. :)

Evo 5 RS
I think I may be on the same circuit as the huge air con unit, if so I need to pray to fck I don't trip lol. Calculated with the over-clock will be pulling 1000w at the wall give or take

The cost of this build must be in excess of ten thousand pounds by now.

If not then a fourth Titan should do the trick?

Evo 5 RS
Not as much as that, but not far from it I'd imagine, I lose track. On the plus side when I take it home there will be no need for central heating.

TBF I'm looking forward to a game that will entice me into spending big money again. I reckon BF4 will be the one.

Evo 5 RS
There isn't a real need with this setup (currently) for 3 of these GPUs, but the extra performance is still properly welcome. Especially when running stupid amounts of super sampling on Metro Last Light, seeing it run at 2560x1080 with a solid 60FPS and 4X SSAA is something that needs to be seen, it's borderline cinematic. Not saying you can't enjoy the game without spending daft amounts like that obviously, just doesn't look as fluent or as good.

More games will push the boat out towards Christmas, BF4 being one of them. Watch Dogs, Titanfall. Even if they don't, I'm not particularly fussed. Once you've seen the results it's difficult to settle for less lol.

I know what you mean. I'm running LL in 1920x1080 on maximum at 2xAA and it mostly runs at 40+. High 30 outdoors. Some people would see that as acceptable, but all I can do is cry.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
So... I decided to chance the new nVidia 320.49 WHQL drivers last night. So far so good. No BSOD's like I had on 320.18 and my GPU hasn't gone pop. :)

Noticed those yesterday m8. They are still beta though, aren't they? Only had one BSOD is literally yonks - the first day CoH2 was installed. But as that's been patched already and I've had a reformat since, everything has been fine.

D.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
The 320.49's are official release (WHQL), not beta. :) (EDIT: although both versions are available at the moment...)

I've only had a few BSOD's in years.. which were the ones I experienced a few days ago when one of my GPU's went pop (and leading up to it popping). I'm not saying it was the drivers at fault but I'm happier now I'm on the 320.49 release.

Evo 5 RS
WHQL is just a Microsoft stamp of approval, I doubt there is any difference between them and the beta. Will have to give them a proper test when the PSU is in

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Scone can you give a full run down of your rig and some photos?

Evo 5 RS
Will post up some pics later when the psu is in if I get time to fit it!

CPU: 3690X @ 4.8GHZ

RAM: 64GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Vengeance @ 1600mhz

MB: ASUS PX79 PRO

GPU(S): 3x ASUS Geforce Titan 6gb Tri SLI

PSU: Enermax Revo 1500w

Chassis: xigmatek elysium

Cooling (water CPU only) Laing D5 pump, front bay reservoir, 480mm Black Ice radiator, 7x 140mm white nexus fans, 1 x 240mm
side intake.

Optical: LG BLU-RAY Reader/Writer

Think thats it!

Evo 5 RS
Whats the temp of your MB and GPU's when on high load? Air flow doesn't look too good on the center card and the top card haha

Wont know till later, but it did't differ too much before. The reference coolers are very good. 80c under full load which is what they say out of the box. At 250wtpd per card theyre never going to be dead cool. The case helps huge amounts though.

Last edited: