ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The £600 Cup Track Build

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Made a quick list of the parts I've bought so far since owning the car. Pretty happy with whats been replaced, should see it fresh for a while. I can see how money can quickly add up with these things!

—— Engine/Transmission ——

Timing Belt Kit
Aux Belt (5PK 847)
Cup Alternator
Dephaser
Cam Seal Kit
Crank Seal
Fly Wheel Bolts
Valeo Clutch
NGK Spark Plugs
Alloy Radiator
Ktec Solid Engine Mount
Ktec Solid Gearbox Mount
Water Pump
Thermostat
Fuchs Titan Race Engine Oil
Tranself NFI 75W-80 Gearbox Oil
Renault Type D Coolant
Forge Coolant Hose Kit
Nimbus Heat Shield
Oil Filter
Coolant Tank
Powdercoated Cam Cover, Timing Cover, Gearbox Mount, Alt Bracket, Inlet Manifolds

—— Suspension/Wheels ——

Cup Shocks
Cooksport Springs
Powerflex Wishbone Bushes
Powerflex Inner ARB Bushes
Powerflex Outer ARB Bushes
Powerflex Steering Rack Bushes
Ktec Solid Top Mount Service Kit
Lemforder Ball Joints
Genuine Inner Track Rods
Genuine Track Rod Ends
Eibach Camber Bolts
20mm Spacers
Oz F1 Alloys in R888 Tyres
Shock to Hub Bolts
Powdercoated Subframe, ARB, Wishbones, Supports

—— Brakes ——

Brembo HC Disks
DS2500 Pads
Braided Lines
Full Front Caliper Rebuild Kit
ATE Super Blue Fluid

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Just be wary on the spacers Arran. Have seen many threads on the spacer to hub bolts coming loose, and seen it first hand on route to a track day. They had came loose before the the chap had loctighted them in only for them to still loosen up.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Just be wary on the spacers Arran. Have seen many threads on the spacer to hub bolts coming loose, and seen it first hand on route to a track day. They had came loose before the the chap had loctighted them in only for them to still loosen up.

Cheers for the heads up Mark, was actually something I was thinking about when looking at them. Is it just with these ones this has been happening with? If so might look at others.

You missed a zero on the thread title.

Getting that way John :disrelieved:

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Update

Finished off a load of bits today, got the car moving for the first time in months. Still need to get the alternator bracket made up, some cable ties held up for now :wink: Brakes are all on and suspension built back up. Really happy with the result of the brakes, look brand new.

Not much to do now before MOT, on a downside I'm going to need to replace the gearbox 5th cover as its leaking! Raging as i wish i just replaced this when it was all out.

16466159435_0fd15d4417_z.jpg
20150203_212244
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

16280218597_3035bbf335_z.jpg
20150207_154831
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

16278675120_2428a9c5fb_z.jpg
20150207_154842
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

15846012753_178b4b5587_z.jpg
20150207_155257
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Was really pleased with how it looked in the sunlight, shows off all the newness better :smiley:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Mate you have done an amazing job, like proper amazing.

I love it, great to see someone as fussy as me. Its a bit to nice to use in anger now.

Many.
A lot of the spacer issues comes from faces not being perfectly clean between disk and hub.

Looks awesome though, and I know your feels about the gearbox, got one back from Agency leaking!

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Well done mate! Can't wait to see this/buy it off you 😂

Haha cheers mate, I'm on strict orders to keep this one... For a bit!

A lot of the spacer issues comes from faces not being perfectly clean between disk and hub.

Looks awesome though, and I know your feels about the gearbox, got one back from Agency leaking!

Cheers mate, what causes that with the faces not being clean? Thinking I'll just leave spacers off, not worth the hassle.

Many.
I've had it where the faces of discs have been painted, as they've got hot etc its caused the paint to soften and the spacer bolts to loosen.

I'd run the spacers, but beware and consider removing if you have any issues. Ive run 25mm spacers on mine with no issue for over 30k inc trackdays.

Ford Focus ST
Well done mate! This thread is great. Love the attention to detail, Will be watching the rest of your progress.

Yep be careful of spacers, my FK ones came loose after a couple of days and the wheel almost fell off on the way home from work. Horrible feeling but it was my own fault as i didnt loctight them or even fully tighten them up properly.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Not done much as of late due to being away with work but got a day on the car yesterday.

First was to set about fixing the leak coming from the 5th gear cover on the gearbox. Ordered one from Adam along with a new earth cable and set about fitting. A bit awkward to wiggle out but managed by moving the lower gearbox mount out the way.

16248280394_a5636f131a_z.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Still getting the electrical light on with limp mode, can't figure out whats causing it!

Next up i decided to go a bit destructive and start ripping the interior out, so much fun 😂
Started off with this:
16870642255_059bc69157_z.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

To this:
16250675763_9f9712752b_z.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Last night i then ordered 2 of these:
16870644385_d46bc4ef71_z.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

And 1 of these:
16684521179_2f14fdd996_z.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Along with all the wiring/fuses etc to relocate the battery which will be going under the passenger seat.

Needing a loop for the rack made up next, if anyone can do this for me id be grateful :wink:

Cup In bits
Cracking work Arran, done a great job.

I'm really liking these cheap seats that Corbeau have brought out, similar to the Recaro pole position. Are they FIA approved, would you consider a swap for one of them when you get it for a nearly new Corbeau Revolution to use as your drivers seat. I wouldn't mind changing my passenger seat to a non winged version and they both have the sawn stitching etc.

Iirc the steering rack pioes are a funny size that most flaring tools don't do, an option for you is to cut the existing pioework and have pirtek join the two stubs if pipe. I will be but I just put a hose between the two just now with jubilee Clios to test the operation rolling it about etc, seems fine to me where others have complained of roughness. I filled the rack with fluid and rammed the pinion with grease and chopped the pipes off and used liquid metal to blank them off.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Cracking work Arran, done a great job.

I'm really liking these cheap seats that Corbeau have brought out, similar to the Recaro pole position. Are they FIA approved, would you consider a swap for one of them when you get it for a nearly new Corbeau Revolution to use as your drivers seat. I wouldn't mind changing my passenger seat to a non winged version and they both have the sawn stitching etc.

Iirc the steering rack pioes are a funny size that most flaring tools don't do, an option for you is to cut the existing pioework and have pirtek join the two stubs if pipe. I will be but I just put a hose between the two just now with jubilee Clios to test the operation rolling it about etc, seems fine to me where others have complained of roughness. I filled the rack with fluid and rammed the pinion with grease and chopped the pipes off and used liquid metal to blank them off.

Cheers mate!

Yeah they seem cracking for the money, £300 for the pair however not FIA approved that'll be where the price drops. Perfect for me just starting out getting the feel for it all still. I did look at the Revolutions but i think i prefer the smaller seats, as assuming you'll need FIA approved anyway?

I like the idea of the hose and jubilee clips for the time being on the rack, doing the same job at the end of the day. That will do me to atleast move it around as you say, cheers :D

Cup In bits
Yeah you cannot complain at that price. I will be using it as a passenger seat only for pax laps, do they come in XL etc too and do they come with sidemounts etc? For the future you don't actually need an in date FIA seat to go racing, it just has to have once been in date, whereas the belts need to be FIA approved and in date. Same applys to extignuishers, they can be re calibrated and some scruts will let you race as long as the pressure gauge is in the green.

Yeah it will get you buy just fine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426853812.761281.jpg

Fitted in the Mrs cup on wed, good seats like, come with side mounts and runners for £300!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I have one of these seats, brilliant for the price tbh, just removed it off the sliders and lobbed them on shitty OMP mounts.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah you cannot complain at that price. I will be using it as a passenger seat only for pax laps, do they come in XL etc too and do they come with sidemounts etc? For the future you don't actually need an in date FIA seat to go racing, it just has to have once been in date, whereas the belts need to be FIA approved and in date. Same applys to extignuishers, they can be re calibrated and some scruts will let you race as long as the pressure gauge is in the green.

Yeah it will get you buy just fine.

Yeah I got mine in XL mate and they seemingly come with the side mounts and runners too. Never knew that with the seats, good to know!

#moneygang

When you up at Knockhill with this?

God knows long list still to do :(

View attachment 124326

Fitted in the Mrs cup on wed, good seats like, come with side mounts and runners for £300!

Sweet! Straight forward enough to fit?

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Delivery today!

16720045218_40353f3216_z.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

And the seats threw in, still to bolt down and get harnesses. Excuse the poor photo was too dark at the front! Glad i went for XL! For reference I'm a 34" waist, i think the standard would of been too tight.

16721538739_ca6e440758_z.jpg
Untitled
by Arran Bell, on Flickr

I also received 3m of 25mm cable and some earth cable for the battery along with a junction box and mega fuse so will get that fitted soon hopefully along with a kill switch.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Harness arrived, matches the colour scheme perfect :wink:

16311843304_8e725b0182_c.jpg
Untitled by Arran Bell, on Flickr

Spent a while wondering on what way to mount it all but in the end went with a way I seen @Sir_Dave describe in another thread with the Schroth bracket and a couple of extra M10 eyebolts, so thanks Dave!

16908305676_8df1c01793_c.jpg

Quickly tidied up all the rear wiring to run through the bodywork, looks much better!

16746564208_eb09705b39_c.jpg

Got a long list of things to do today which should prepare it for getting picked up at the end of the week to get an Mot and anything needed when I'm away to Holland for 4 weeks.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Update

Spent the last couple of days finishing off little jobs on the car, inner tie rods + ends, Aerocatches, steering rack loop and a few others.

Took it out the garage first time since it arrived last year, first thing I noticed was how hard it was to manoeuvre at low speed with the pas removed lol anything above walking pace is perfect so I can live with it!

Anyway, got it picked up and delivered to my local garage to get the battery wired in and get an mot. I'm away working for a month so once im back it should be drivable :D

16947601202_013fb1f45d_c.jpg

16947601852_88cd9d263a_c.jpg

16326530324_6911d5b861_c.jpg

16326530104_4e678464ab_c.jpg

Have you driven it since you stripped it? I took out the spare wheel on mine once and immediately noticed the difference so I can imagine ripping out a full interior would be awesome (if loud) especially at low revs.