ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

T Reg Clio 1.2 - Wont Start!! Please Help!

Renault Clio 1.2
Hiya Everyone,

I have a T reg 1.2 8v.

It started fine yesterday but I came out to it this morning nothing at all. I tried to jump it off using another car but the car does not even turn over. With the jump leads on or not.

At first I thought the battery must of had it but the dash lights all seem to light up fine.

Please help me as I really need the car to commute to work etc.

Thanks, Ollie

Clio 172 cup
hi mate, i think its your emmobiliser. try holding the key at different angles in the lock when turning and hold it there, you'll here a click under the dash but keep trying.....

Renault Clio 1.2
boldswede what do you mean by holding the key at different angles? Will it not only go in the ignition at 2 angles due to the way the key goes in? I'm confused?!?

I've got some more info as of tonight:

-I've replaced the batteries in the key. This did not make a difference.

-The immobilizer light does go out when the ignition has been on for a few seconds.

-Also as I tried to crank it over and over again to see if it did eventually do anything, twice it sounded like it wanted to crank for a split second.

Any further ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

Might be wise to invest in a battery, old motor used to do this, dash lighs up, headlights work, electric wondows work but car just clicks at you. New battery seemed to solve it.

Renault Clio 1.2
But if it was the battery would it not jump off when jump leads connected to another car? Unless the battery is decided to totally pack in??

DCi 100
When my battery died in the 16v 1.2 is just clicked, and nothing. Slap your lights on, and turn the key. If the lights dim when it tries to turn over and clicks then from my knowledge it's the battery.

Even with jump leads connected it didn't fire, took another car and a charge kit stuck to it for about 20 minutes before it had enought to start. :/

Clio 172 cup
boldswede what do you mean by holding the key at different angles? Will it not only go in the ignition at 2 angles due to the way the key goes in? I'm confused?!?

I've got some more info as of tonight:

-I've replaced the batteries in the key. This did not make a difference.

-The immobilizer light does go out when the ignition has been on for a few seconds.

-Also as I tried to crank it over and over again to see if it did eventually do anything, twice it sounded like it wanted to crank for a split second.

Any further ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

I mean like force the key at an angle while its in the barrel. Make sense? obviously dont snap it but while you've turned the key pull down... it's hard to explain. Also stuck starter motor?

Renault Clio 1.2
Will try these few suggestions when it's day light! The other night when I went out it was dark and then decided it wanted to absolutely throw it down!

I think I understand about the key boldswede. I'm thinking it a stuck starter though by the symptoms.

Renault Clio 1.2
I managed to bump start the car today and it bumped off fine. Theres also another problem now though as its now idling at 3000rpm!!

I'm yet to check the connectors etc on the starter motor but they are quite badly covered in oil. Plus its raining yet again :(

Any ideas why its idling at 3000 as it was not doing this before the starting fault.

Thanks

Renault Clio 1.2
Hi all,

I've had the starter motor off this morning and tested the solenoid and motor using jump leads on the clios battery. The solenoid clicks across and the motor turns.

I've got 12v at the 13mm nut the holds the +ve lead on from the battery. I've also got 12v when I turn the key at the spade connecter.

Any further ideas?? If it was the immobiliser at fault the car would not even bump off. Is this right?

Thanks. Its been over 2 weeks now! Gutted!