ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

suspension for minor track days

clio 182
Currently got what I think is eibach sport lines on my 182, wondering if any coilovers that can be bought for £600 would be any good for track use. Not going to be anything to heavy as I don't want to break my daily driver lol iv seen a set of a coilovers on ebay, any reviews? Any help is appreciated.

use it as it is , your biggest upgrade would be tyres (eg stiff walled track based tyres on 15's

however enjoy it as it is .

clio 182
Yh but I don't know if they are sport lines or not, iv already had them out but couldn't see any names on them. All I know is they are red lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If i was you, new cup shocks and cooksport springs.

Best mix for primarily road use and occasional track use imo.

172 on Cooksports

se2u9u7u.jpg

Its also running 10mm rear spacers behind hubs and 20mm hubcentric fronts with eibach camber adjusters to give -2.5 degs on the front.

Car does 600 road miles per week with the wife

Clio 172
Also wondering about this. On my track only 172 currently has KTR coilovers which were on when I bought the car and the rear shocks are ruined no damping control left at all. What would be best suspension for the car? Spax shocks/springs, Koni shocks/cooksport springs, Gaz coilovers or spax rsx?

Or any other that are thought to be better?

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Eibach springs are more than fine - nothing between them really compared to Cooksports, not worth changing with you having Eibachs already anyway.

Probably worth looking at (assuming you have standard-ish pads) a fast road/trackday pad and new brake fluid. I'd recommend Castrol Super Response Dot 4.

Else from that for ocassional trackdays I wouldn't bother with different tyres, just make sure you have plenty of tread left on them before trackday. You'll learn a lot more with normal road tyres than you will with sticky tyres.

182cup & 172 racecar
At least some sense in this thread, if you were to renew for standard shocks, you'd be surprised at the difference it would make.

No real need to go for coilovers, despite what some might say. Unless you want to spend big money of course.

clio 182
^ that looks great

+1

cheers for the advice, need to change my front pads soon anyway so will defo look into something a bit better, any advice on what to get since it will still mainly be fast road?

i was mainly wondering about coilovers for looks at mine sits too high at the back imo, but i really cba changing setups anytime i want to go on a track

Ph2 Clio 172
As said, cup shocks and springs is better for casual track days. £600 is a lot of track days to blow on coilovers.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
On a journey of self discovery, through the mean streets of Birmingham to the south of England.

Guys, I have 4yr old eibach sportlines on my iceberg 172 and standard (12 yr old) shocks. The plan is to order a new set of Koni yellows. Currently, the eibachs seem to compress a little too easily, leading to bump stop hits on sudden sharp ruts/potholes. I wonder if the standard shocks are now offering no bump resistance and the 30mm ish lower springs are making them work outside their normal range. Do you think the konis will change this compression problem or are the springs stuffed? (seems unlikely!)

thanks
Ash

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Maybe I'm weird but I find a completely standard Clio cup or 182 with cup packs on good road tyres more than up to a track blast. You don't have to ride the rim of a front tyre on every corner and the brakes are only an issue if your slowing to a walking pace for every corner like the guy I spoke to at the last track day I was at and realized this was the problem when I almost rear ended him in my diesel estate who's brakes lasted the day. Get a clios ass involved and round it goes. Track days aren't races. Back off 5% or just have 1 or 2 full bore laps in your session and go home on the same set of tyres. So much cheaper fun. For reference I fitted some eibachs to a CRX I sprinted and although it gave me more confidence I didn't knock anymore time off. Last run of the day I was under half a second quicker and that was more down to an increase track temperature. Go the whole hog and get it properly setup or just run standard is my opinion.

Maybe I'm weird but I find a completely standard Clio cup or 182 with cup packs on good road tyres more than up to a track blast. You don't have to ride the rim of a front tyre on every corner and the brakes are only an issue if your slowing to a walking pace for every corner like the guy I spoke to at the last track day I was at and realized this was the problem when I almost rear ended him in my diesel estate who's brakes lasted the day. Get a clios ass involved and round it goes. Track days aren't races. Back off 5% or just have 1 or 2 full bore laps in your session and go home on the same set of tyres. So much cheaper fun. For reference I fitted some eibachs to a CRX I sprinted and although it gave me more confidence I didn't knock anymore time off. Last run of the day I was under half a second quicker and that was more down to an increase track temperature. Go the whole hog and get it properly setup or just run standard is my opinion.

Thanks for all that but I have tired, non cup suspension and this doesn't answer my question.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
For a 172, what cup shocks can I get to fit? I thought 182 cups would not fit. Konis allow me the rebound adjustment but not worth it?

Koni are ok too but the cup ones generally last longer.

172 cup will fit all 172 and all non cup 182

Thanks, I presume the 172 cups are designed to work with a shorter spring, which may be half the problem of the standards I have, plus they are old.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I dont know TBH if they are designed for a shorter spring or not, but they are firmer which offers more initial roll resistance which gives a better turn in and also reduces the chance of bottoming out as well when hitting a pothole etc.

I am sure it works very well. With standard top mounts I have budget for coilovers or whatever is the best option for a tolerable road ride and 'decent' for the track. Won't waste $ though either.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
The cup is only a few mm lower. I feel I did answer your question in a round about way. Get standard new cup suspension. My car doesn't care about potholes and every track day having someone come up and say these are are quick aren't they shows there is nowt wrong. If you must keep the springs you have then get cup shocks. Renault did a great job of finding good middle ground. They could have quite easily made them less compliant on the road which is all I've seen from aftermarket shocks. In some cases I've been on airfield track days and found the car bouncing off bumps instead of the suspension doing it's job of keeping the damn tyre in contact with tarmac so it can do it's job. If your happy with less compliant and only do nice smooth tracks go with the koni's. Sorry to rant but the standard cars setup is really good!

Ok, thanks Warwick and lads. I hear you. It's a bit tough for tuners to offer a better product it seems. I will advise on progress.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The cup is only a few mm lower. I feel I did answer your question in a round about way. Get standard new cup suspension. My car doesn't care about potholes and every track day having someone come up and say these are are quick aren't they shows there is nowt wrong. If you must keep the springs you have then get cup shocks. Renault did a great job of finding good middle ground. They could have quite easily made them less compliant on the road which is all I've seen from aftermarket shocks. In some cases I've been on airfield track days and found the car bouncing off bumps instead of the suspension doing it's job of keeping the damn tyre in contact with tarmac so it can do it's job. If your happy with less compliant and only do nice smooth tracks go with the koni's. Sorry to rant but the standard cars setup is really good!

Have you tried Konis? I've had both new cup shocks and Konis in conjunction with a complete suspension and steering component overhaul. The Konis offer the better ride and in more ways than just compliance.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Not on a Clio but on previous cars and I was never impressed. The Clio cups have the best fast road/occasional track day setup I've had on a road car and the best bit is it's standard so no modified insurance. As I don't have loads of cash I've always had to use shocks like Gaz, Koni, avo etc and I don't rate any of them. had the same thing on my XR2. The standard Ford shocks ended up being the best ones. The roads round my way are shocking and I do more airfield track days which can have some nasty surprises if you run a little wide.

The other thing is that the standard setup is so forgiving so you can really play with it especially on track. My dad and I could have chosen many things for a shared B road/track day toy modified or not and it just ended up that a Clio without wanked standard suspension won because it has the highest fun per pound ratio. The standard setup in the 172 cup rides better than a lot of family cars and has enough grip to be cruising along while a good average car in front of you is sliding around. It's plenty good enough. A little front camber to save the front tyres if your hard on them but other than that it's standard or go the whole hog and get everything matched up by someone that has properly tested it not just made a traditional stab at damping rates and sales it as a performance upgrade.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
At least Koni have one happy customer. My Dad junked his on his XR4i as he was totally disappointed for the money he had spent. It does however take al sorts to make a world and just because I think the standard setup is spot on that doesn't mean everyone else will. 5th gear never rated the clios over the type r but EVO and Autocar wouldn't shut up about the Clios appeal. I just know I smile everytime I go out in it. More so than I did in a 300bhp 2wd saph cossie.

Last edited: