ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

strange braking problem in the snow or on ice

clio 172
hi guys ive got a ph2 172 sport 2001
ive just noticed that when i brake on ice or snow i get a strange noise coming from the passenger side and it all so feels like my brake pedal is pushing back when i press it ..... my brakes work fine when its normal weather they stop me dead no pushing back or anything.. my abs light is on when i put keys in just like the rest of the dash lights but then goes off when engine starts never comes back on i dont get any warning lights when driving or when this problem happens
i fitted new pads all round 4 months ago and had no problems at all as the weather was ok .... this just happens in snow or ice
can anyone give a little help please thankyou

clio 172
just seems very strange tho Markcup like someone is pushing my foot up when i push down on the pedal and the noise doesnt sound normal ?
but thankyou for your reply :)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
just seems very strange tho Markcup like someone is pushing my foot up when i push down on the pedal and the noise doesnt sound normal ?
but thankyou for your reply :)

That's because the ABS unit has taken control and is rhythmically pulsing the brakes on and off...what you feel through the pedal is exactly that.

derv biege barge
LOL sounds normal to me. That is abs for you. You won't get it in good weather cos of increased traction.

clio 172
Brilliant Thankyou very much to you all
was expecting a large payout to fix
And as per cliosport members at the rescue
Thankyou in advance :)
Jay :)

ps Adamm yea it does :)

'52 Clio 172 2.0 16v
Sorry to steal this alittle, but when I'm doing about 80mph+ and brake hard it makes a droning noise, like a thudding but quite quiet, does that make sense? Is this ABS aswell? Cheers people.

Renaultsport 220T
Sorry to steal this alittle, but when I'm doing about 80mph+ and brake hard it makes a droning noise, like a thudding but quite quiet, does that make sense? Is this ABS aswell? Cheers people.

Do you see blue flashing lights in your rear view mirror, when you hear this droning noise, causing you to brake hard from 80+?

'52 Clio 172 2.0 16v
No, it's when I'm on the motorway and idiots in there big 4x4s pull into the fast lane doing 50.

PB Clio 172
So basically, you are not driving to the conditions and are breaking too hard to grip on the snow/ice/diesel/twisties, thus you are sliding and ABS is kicking in. ;)

Bit harsh lol

My abs kicks in on hills and camber where i live so you don't have to be driving too hard. Always check it works on wet drain covers though. Lol

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak

Does it resemble a farting noise? If so, the bracket could be loose on the ABS pump.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
lol at this thread!

So basically, you are not driving to the conditions and are breaking too hard to grip on the snow/ice/diesel/twisties, thus you are sliding and ABS is kicking in. ;)

This threads about brakes mate ;)