ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Star Wars Battlefront

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't the legendary and ultimate edition come with the DLC? The £80 & £105 versions?

Might have a free pass to get the DLC when it arrives, but if you're paying 80 quid it's pretty much the same as buying the game and buying the DLC pass anyway??

Loads of free content and maps being released in the coming months! Brilliant news.
http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/star-wars-battlefront-the-road-ahead
Some genuinely exciting sounding content too.
Their obviously having a.guilty conscience for releasing a game with such a lack of content.
Some great additions to the game. Including turning point mode to be able to be played on all walker supremacy compatible maps.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea but when???
I'm f**king sick to death of waiting so long with a game thats got f**k-all depth to it at the moment.

They knew full well the game was anemic when it was released, they should get off their arse and get the extra content out the door.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yep, good and bad in equal measures.
I used to love it, nice easy kill, but in the same way I hated running anywhere because the second you're in the open someone is locking onto you.

Started to use the Cycler Rifle abit more now, I've noticed people have increased the use of personal shields.
Not managed to shoot anyone mind, but I'm trying.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Battlefront DLC is released today (for season pass owners)
New guns, new star cars, new heroes, new maps etc etc etc

February update added a couple of extra maps as well which was decent, IMO it should have shipped with the Feb update but I guess the game had to be out in time for the new movie.

Installed the update, not overly impressed so far.

Drop Zone which I mostly play has been reduced from 8v8 to 6v6.
Not bad as such but when you are 1-2 players short it is much more noticeable.

They've also added some layers to the menu that are basically there to push the DLC.
£40 for what should have been in the game initially, seriously?

Goliath I
Was disappointed with the Beta and lack of story campaign but decided to give it a shot and picked it up for £20 in Game. Really enjoying it, not sure if its because I've been playing the pretty crap COD:AW. The game looks incredible and that's one of the shames about it being a multilayer only game, there's no time to just stop, look and appreciate the level of detail that's gone into it.

I'm still a bit weary about the actual shooting, there's something about it I just can't put my finger on. Not tried all the game modes yet and the update hasn't helped trying to get to grips with all the modes etc... lol

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
The trailer for the new one certainly does look good. Didn't play the first one as I like having both single player and multiplayer options. So imagine I'll pick this up at some point.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Was disappointed with the Beta and lack of story campaign but decided to give it a shot and picked it up for £20 in Game. Really enjoying it, not sure if its because I've been playing the pretty crap COD:AW. The game looks incredible and that's one of the shames about it being a multilayer only game, there's no time to just stop, look and appreciate the level of detail that's gone into it.

I'm still a bit weary about the actual shooting, there's something about it I just can't put my finger on. Not tried all the game modes yet and the update hasn't helped trying to get to grips with all the modes etc... lol

I think that's one of the things that really works for me in the existing game. I'm regularly around the 30% of kills through headshots alone - the fact that you're firing linear laser beams rather than shells that can randomly go anywhere - makes accuracy more, erm, .....accurate.

I pretty much use the heavy repeater all the time - high rate of fire, really quite accurate, but low damage. Seems to suit my play style. Very similar to the standard Lewis (?) support gun in BF1 - yet this one actually works. :tongueout:

Clio 182 - RB
If the new one had a single player campaign i'll deffs buy it, last one was a 100% let down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If the new one had a single player campaign i'll deffs buy it, last one was a 100% let down.
Seems to be a bone of contention that. Personally, I love single player campaigns in FPSs - they are pretty much exclusively what I play on any of the COD games. Yet other players don't even fire them up and are purely focused on multiplayer only. I also have a liking for player vs bots options - like a survival mode. They give you the ability to learn the mechanics and features of the game, without impeding an online teams' performance.

I get that from a dev studio perspective, committing to an SP campaign is a considerable investment in both time and resources. Especially if a noticeable chunk of players will never even look at it. A tricky situation to keep all comers happy, I guess.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I get that from a dev studio perspective, committing to an SP campaign is a considerable investment in both time and resources. Especially if a noticeable chunk of players will never even look at it. A tricky situation to keep all comers happy, I guess.

For the amount of money those tossbags charge for the f**king game they can do both!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I've been chucking the occasional hour into online play with this and I have to say, I'm impressed. Sure, it's got its issues and it's not perfect by a long stretch - but it pisses all over their other recent release, of BF1.

The walker assault maps are the ones I tend to head for, but being only level 8, the basic nature of my kit is rather lacking. One aspect that surprises me is the almost complete lack of players attempting anti-aircraft roles. A bobby-basic ion torpedo is one of the first unlocks and it's relatively easy to bring down opposing aircraft. Given how many points you get for even damaging them and the fact that they can really give your team some issues if not deterred - it does seem a little odd that players skip this bit.

I'll certainly be looking at the follow up. I just hope they allow kit selections on the mouse wheel than setting up four different buttons....

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You only end up using a few star cards anyway, and one is almost always the jet pack because the maps are f**king huge and it takes ages to move around.
Pulse Cannon was always a favourite, and on smaller maps the scatter gun would always piss people off as it shoots straight through a shield.

Disruption used to be ace but they nerfed it pretty hard and it became useless.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Got seriously pwned the night before last on this - on the Graveyard of Giants map. There were at least three clan members playing together on the Empire (all with the prefix on their player names) and they stuck so close together. Combine that with the fact they were very good to begin with and were probably all on headsets too - meant that you had little life left when confronting them.

They were advocates of that silly jet-pack - ground roll tactic. That I can accept in my brain in Warframe - but in a Star Wars game looks a bit silly. Player rolls 5ft to the left then flies into the air, then rolls again. It works as a game tactic but warps my ingrained view of what a stormtrooper is capable of.

As such, it was smugly satisfying to nail all three (and a few of their cohorts) when I nabbed the Hero Pickup and joined in as Han Solo.

When attacking the AT-ATs as well - why doesn't everyone just focus on one first? That tactic always works better on the maps I've been on.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Got seriously pwned the night before last on this - on the Graveyard of Giants map.

Is that the one where you can sit up the top of the downed ship and just generally be a little c**t to everyone walking around below you??

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Is that the one where you can sit up the top of the downed ship and just generally be a little c**t to everyone walking around below you??
If you're online, probably. As the AI bots clearly aren't much to write home about. :smile:

upload_2017-9-14_12-21-47.png

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea the AI bots are worse than useless, just abit of a joke if your internet randomly go's down.

Goliath I
Anyone else tried out the Beta? Given it a few games... Looks absolutely stunning, but just feels like more of the same and for some reason I just cannot get a hang of the flight controls either.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone else tried out the Beta? Given it a few games... Looks absolutely stunning, but just feels like more of the same and for some reason I just cannot get a hang of the flight controls either.

Nope - stayed clear of the beta - as I pretty much do all the time. I like to play games when they are finished, established and have the majority of their issues ironed out. Games are so complex these days that there are normally several dozen changes that need to be applied even within a day or two of release. I'll definitely be ordering this though.

Tbh, I struggled a bit with the flight controls on the first game. I'm not a good flyer with a pad - though I am better with my 2001 vintage force feedback stick!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I put the beta on download last night but I'm not sure I'll get much of a chance to play before it finishes.

I enjoyed the last one but got bored pretty quick. Sold it before any dlc came out or any major updates. I'll probably end up buying this, hopefully it'll have a bit more content on release.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Had a good go on the Beta, visually it looks pretty good.
Flight controls are total s**t and there's the same old EA issues with servers.

After playing Battlefield for ages I kinda want interactive scenery as well, it certainly adds to the experiance.
Shooting rockets and big laser cannons at walls, buildings and fences should do something - it looks stupid when nothing happens!

There's places on the Beta map which look like a cafe, loads of tables and chairs etc
You can't even knock them over, it's rubbish.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Had a good go on the Beta, visually it looks pretty good.
Flight controls are total s**t and there's the same old EA issues with servers.

After playing Battlefield for ages I kinda want interactive scenery as well, it certainly adds to the experiance.
Shooting rockets and big laser cannons at walls, buildings and fences should do something - it looks stupid when nothing happens!

There's places on the Beta map which look like a cafe, loads of tables and chairs etc

Lol - it does kind of detract from a game where you can crouch behind two plastic chairs and survive a torrent of incoming fire your way!

Tbf, what annoys me more when there is there is too much debris in the way when you're legging it somewhere and boxes, cartons, furniture, etc make you slow down and stumble.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Hahaha, yeah - it does feel a bit crap when that happens! It's a seemingly simple thing to ask for, but such an incredibly complex 'thing' to add!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
oh for sure, but it really makes the game (if you know what I mean) and given the incredible amount of money some of these games are pulling in you could argue it needs to be a staple of big game releases.

If it's £40-£50 for the base game, plus the same again for whatever DLC pack they make you buy I think you have the right to ask for these things.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Just had a play on the beta.

Flight controls are w**k. Much worse than I remember them on the first one. Graphically it's great. Not sure it's enough to make me want to buy it yet though.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
oh for sure, but it really makes the game (if you know what I mean) and given the incredible amount of money some of these games are pulling in you could argue it needs to be a staple of big game releases.

If it's £40-£50 for the base game, plus the same again for whatever DLC pack they make you buy I think you have the right to ask for these things.
Yeah - I hear you mate. Sadly it's not just down to money in this case; it's more the technical complexity. It's one thing to have hundreds and thousands of physics objects interacting in a 3D world and quite another to have that complexity accurately reflected with nanosecond precision across a network game with players from all over the world. One slightest thing out of sync and that could compromise one player compared to others on the other end of a network and - boom - suddenly things are out of sync and that's a whole world of pain!

But yeah - I absolutely get where you are coming from :)

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Battlefield franchise manages it though? Has done for a decade or so now, which in computer terms is a f**king lifetime.
Granted not everything can be damaged, especially in city environments with loads of buildings, but still it's better than nothing.

EA DICE is the developer for both of those game series as well.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Battlefield franchise manages it though? Has done for a decade or so now, which in computer terms is a f**king lifetime.
Granted not everything can be damaged, especially in city environments with loads of buildings, but still it's better than nothing.

EA DICE is the developer for both of those game series as well.
Battlefield is very careful in the level of destructibility it allows though; almost 'scripted' rather than a generic free-destruction-for-all type affair. It's certainly a nice to have and can really add to the immersion and enjoyment without a doubt. It's a big step away from totally free destruction though (unless that destruction is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the players in any meaningful way). It's the network complexity that really restricts multiplayer and networked games (or, rather, keeping everything in sync when 10 players might have 100meg connections with 20ms ping and another players might only have 1meg connections with 150ms ping times). That's one of the reasons we don't really see massively multiplayer FPS games; for every player the system has to communicate the players' positions, velocity, animation state, etc. Then, for example, consider that 64 players are online together and using machine guns firing multiple rounds per second. Suddenly that's 64 players' worth of data to be kept in sync plus several thousand bullet / projectile positions, velocities, etc. Then vehicles. Incidental characters. It all adds up and absolutely must stay in sync if the game world is to remain consistent for all players. Then, on top of all that, trying to add in things like generic tables, chairs, and other physical objects that can affect a player - you suddenly have thousands of physical objects with tens of thousands of properties that have to be consistently communicated across the network. It's a pain to get working and a real barrier to making much more immersive gameplay experiences. Hence the reason why, as you rightly say, it can be a bit disappointing to see how 'static' things can appear in-game, especially given how rapidly things have advanced in computing and gaming over the last 15 years.

(Sorry, didn't mean to write an essay! Just trying to explain some of the reasons why it's such a pain and why some of these restrictive game designs come about!) :)

Goliath I
Just had a play on the beta.

Flight controls are w**k. Much worse than I remember them on the first one. Graphically it's great. Not sure it's enough to make me want to buy it yet though.

It looks incredible and I think I spent a good few rounds just flying around looking at stuff. You can change the flight controls in the options, but even then it doesn't feel right.

I wish they'd remaster the Squadron Leader/Rogue Squadron series to that level of detail though.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Battlefield is very careful in the level of destructibility it allows though; almost 'scripted' rather than a generic free-destruction-for-all type affair.

(Sorry, didn't mean to write an essay! Just trying to explain some of the reasons why it's such a pain and why some of these restrictive game designs come about!) :smile:

True, and if anything thats probably the right way to do it now.
To be fair Star Wars could have even less object destruction because everything is so big and bulky.

But like I said, when a table and chairs takes a direct hit for a big rocket you do think it's abit s**t for 2017.