ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

Exactly, top tip, anything you do to the car make sure its MSA (clubsport) legal, it doesn't necessarily have to be FIA spec as you wont be racing in Europe. Get a copy of the blue book, even an old one of ebay (not too old) will give you direction.

Clio, Nova, Astra
Just read full thread awesome work matey really good read!!! Gave me some tips will be following this :)

Renault Clio 172
Yea this is it, it all adds up! The production class probably is a sensible route, it's not too far away from what I had planned. I'll have to look at springs on standard dampers instead of coilovers. To clarify when I said spend money on the engine, I just meant belts and dephaser, hesitant to spend on such a neglected lump. I'll do some more track days this year, probably fit the cutoff/fire x too. Sort engine stuff next winter then look to get race ready next year. But who knows what will really happen!

Not that different to me, last year. Although the car was built, I needed to get some track days done, to see how I/it felt. I did the last race weekend, and the Autumn Trophy, so had 5 races. Then go the bug and spent the children's savings on the car!

You would be more than welcome to come along to some races as a spectator and meet us all to discuss in person. There's only Tony that bites, the rest of us are friendly :).

Something that you do have to consider, is the tools and car spare costs! I had nothing at all, so had to spend a fare few quid!

Update:

Been a very busy week putting in around 8-10 hours a day on the car trying to get it ready for todays deadline.

This week saw the subframe, box and engine go in along with a few other refreshed parts as well as a fluid refresh.

Picked up the engine from the builders, had it finished off and finally complete, So finally competing James handy work.

Spec of engine,
423 non VVT
Ported head
Hydraulic tappets
Uprated valve springs
Tagged bearings
HC pistons (83 mm to keep it legal size)
Forge rods (standard length)
Baffled sump
Blanked off VVT sensor (to minimise oil pressure loss).
DTH 45mm Jenvey bodies
90mm inlet horns
Megane 225 injectors
182 manifold PMS exhaust.
RPM will be set at 7850rpm for longevity and reliability.

Loaded the car up on the trailer This evening ready for the long drive up north tomorrow to EFI parts ready to be mapped, looking forward to seeing what she produces.

Also painted the rocker cover and a few bits orange to match the subframe, originally I was going to go with a red theme
But ended up orange due to parts purchased of James :)

Also fitted rear beam with the PMS ARB and black series bushes.

Few pics

51d5d5cee44316c87ab99d0fb4bc8583.jpg

c80cffb5b245398fba64774e0652a9e9.jpg

209e055be9bb7f83327bb8bb8da67202.jpg

In other news, been finally collecting bits bits to install the EPAS system, picked up a epas column with ECU for £45 on fleabay, wiring ordered, just need to order a belt and will get to work installing it next week. Im going to run the standard cup rack. Epas for £100 thanks very much :)

4c20f8a1740e1d199d1426925b72f9a6.jpg

3964c6ea2150b7c087fad9a269b80302.jpg

I want someone who for one understands Gen90 Chris at EFI has been recommended to me by a few ppl.

I,v been bitten by bad mappers before so want to go somewhere who,s knows what their doing.

Funnily enough I stripped my old engine down that was killed by a engine mapper....

bbd980aa34b1ad11ce1d66188e6dfbaa.jpg

71591ff241597d6b3a5aa4481d9fa1e8.jpg

That's a very nice spec, will be interested to see what it makes on the dyno.

Any reason you are going with efi over rs tuning? I have heard good things about both of them.

That's a very nice spec, will be interested to see what it makes on the dyno.

Any reason you are going with efi over rs tuning? I have heard good things about both of them.

Yea deffo, im not expecting mega numbers, obviously due to the 45mm bodies, After speaking to Jenvey they suggested the 90mm length horns over the 120s mainly due to filter space, the DTH bodies are pretty long anyway, total length with the 90s on are bang on 260mm (head to horn face).

Again, likewise, RST and EFI was both on the table, just decided to go with the later for my build. Originally was looking at ED down south but after speaking to then they still haven't manage start mapping Gen90 yet.

Update: Mapping.

Well yesterday ended up being a very long day. Picked the trailer up Friday evening and loaded the car up and left at the early doors Saturday morning at 6am, drive up was pretty straight forward and a rather pleasant experience.

Arrived at EFI parts 30min early so set about priming the engine s oil pressure, plugs and crank sensor removed as engine cranked over for around 10-15 seconds to get the oil around the system.

Chris arrived and after a chat we set about rolling the car in to get set up, now this is where the problems started...we tried to crank the engine but no joy, so we went through an elimination process and found it to be the starter motor and a blown 200amp fuse (racing battery end), so i set about removing it and as luck would have it he had a spare laying around. This had obviously been causes by the me cranking the engine and the engine needing more turning lower, moving on we hit another problem, where the immobiliser kept kicking in, again this was traced to a lose wire tripping the system.

Finally problem was the Gen90 ECU and the map that was on it, the map had been given a pass code so Chris set about by erasing the ecu and uploading a part map (sorry most of this is over my head but it took longer than normal).

I left Chris to get on with the mapping (5 hours after arriving) as i had the missis with me we popped to Cheshire Oaks for a bit of shopping and food.

When I returned Chris was just finishing off the map, he had hit a further problem with my ECU one that he had not seen before, the ecu was cutting out at 7600 rpm like an internal limiter had been set, he said most likely cause was a "bug" in the firmware. A respectable mid 220s figure was reached, the graph was climbing and due to the "bug" was limiting performence. So reckon a 230 was achievable. Chris has kept the ecu and with assistance from Gems should write out that glitch. So I returned home lastnight at 1am fooked, but am very happy with the results and with the effort Chris put in.

Indeed Russ, just want to get out on track and see how it goes, its been a long time since i have driven a cammed F4R.Also need to test the new chassis set up, iv only got next weekend to get a test in before race day next month due to work. Worst comes to worst will have to test on race day.

clio cup
would it not of been cheaper just to leave all our cars as they were, the only difference is going to be faster lap times by all, same order just faster in a straight line, lol

If there isnt a problema then it isnt a race car Sonny, glad EFI parts is sorting it.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Dinger speaks sense I will take all the shiny bits to help you guys :)

Sounds like it will be pretty nippy once all ironed out Sonny!

I bet the missus was well chuffed.. or was it an expensive shopping trip as well! Haha

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed Russ, just want to get out on track and see how it goes, its been a long time since i have driven a cammed F4R.Also need to test the new chassis set up, iv only got next weekend to get a test in before race day next month due to work. Worst comes to worst will have to test on race day.
I'm testing at oulton this coming Friday if you fancy another trip up north.
Russ

Renault 5 gt turbo
Nice one Sonny, glad it all went well.
Looking forward to seeing it on track with all the work you put in.

would it not of been cheaper just to leave all our cars as they were, the only difference is going to be faster lap times by all, same order just faster in a straight line, lol
Very good point Dave :)
I couldn't have done another season like last year with my car as it was.. Even had the wife telling me to sell up as the cars past it :)

clio cup
Nice one Sonny, glad it all went well.
Looking forward to seeing it on track with all the work you put in.

Very good point Dave :smile:
I couldn't have done another season like last year with my car as it was.. Even had the wife telling me to sell up as the cars past it :smile:
Is that a euphamism?

The Wife asked me last night if i'd finished spending money on the car yet,, HAHAHAHAHA

Renault 5 gt turbo
Euphamism??

I told mine I can make it faster but going to cost £££££. Whenever she mentions parts arriving I say " you wanted it to be faster" :) win win

April update:

Managed to get a few more hours work on the car this week, main effort was to swap the hubs over for the RC hubs from @NorthloopCup group buy.

Looks like a great bit of kit so thanks Mark, was pleasant doing business with him and would recommend him to anyone.

I went for the zinc option with new wheel bearings.

f2956d7f221c590a5ee35b0142d1fc1e.jpg

Straight forward fit, was impressed with the torque settings and instructions :)

And fitted

e3e4c4e4dc74cba7cbdf9d7892009ba4.jpg

Next job was to swap out the CPS as my old one was playing up, thanks @BIGASH for the help and wiring, so fitted that, this should solve my rev limiter problem that the ecu encountered during mapping

A few other jobs here and there tidying the car up to get her in a race ready state for Rockingham this weekend, also relocated my transponder as it was getting scuffed by flying bits of tyre, now mounted behind the front member.

Tomorrow job will be to fit brake deflectors and ducting, install the Vbox lite, and pop the wheels back on.

Gonna pop into Mark Fish on Friday en-route to Rockingham to get a full geo, rake and corner weight set up done.

Roll on rock... Really looking forward to it, got unfinished business to sort out ;)

Pic from efi parts on mapping day last weekend

897f538c1d9bb0dca81f105a4a10f35f.jpg