ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

Renault 5 gt turbo
Great work Sonny. Didn't realise you had James Engine, looks the nuts.
Shame cant be at the rock, good luck and will see you at Brands.

I'll be there but my car won't unfortunately. Should be ready for Brands though.

Liking the Roll center kit Sonny, starting to regret not getting one myself now, everyone seems to have it!

Anyone know if the two production class guys are on the forum? I'm contemplating trying to enter that in the future and it would be interesting to chat to someone who is in it.

Rockingham race report

It was a busy week getting the last bits if the car together after the late winter rebuild, but managed it in time.

En-route to Rockingham on Friday I tool the car to Mark fish Motorsport for a full geo set up, couple hours later the car was done and we was on our way.

bdee5fa2af1c3148807e454edfee0a11.jpg

300eac4ba167ab6edd1b3c52d37381d1.jpg

6e955cabcedb0c41592b7dd6bfb0a60c.jpg

Close up of @NorthloopCup RC hubs that i fitted a few days previously

90d4bd0ffa6136a75a19aee5fba54b6a.jpg

Arrives at the Rock to be greeted by Russ and Tony who had set up a few hours previously, after having a quick chat I unloaded the car and trailer and wrapped the car up for the evening as rain was forecasted.

978752c408bef27115c2dc22dac41b29.jpg

"Here comes the rain again".....

19beadc77cfc7ff3db57a11ade0855b4.jpg

Race day,

Going to apologise in advance as I have no pics and no laptop to upload my race footage on (I'm writing this on the apple).

Quali (a slippery wet one).

Due to only recently getting the car finished I never got round to testing, last time I had driven the car was at cadwell Park back in september, since then the car has had a lot of work, mainly chassis stiffening (pms rarb, rear beam bearings, wishbone stiffening plates and bearings, RC kit along with 30 or so bhp more) so I had a lot of work to do, the last thing I wanted was a wet track to test on, unfortunately thats what I (we) got.

So I went out with he mindset of "its just a test session". So I stuck my R1R on and soften up the dampers a little and off I went. The car felt pretty much spot on, tyres was unless as at kept understeering with minimal steering input, so was a bit hairy to say the least, also locked up a few times as expected. I managed to put a quick lap in once I had got used to the new set up, this put me 14th (out of 27) interestingly only 6.9s away from pole, in fact due to the weather everyone was struggling and all had close times 15s separated pole and back marker. So, this was going to be interesting.

Race 1

... And the Gods looked down and greeted us with a dry track.. Happy days.

Now running with the Derezzas I tweaked suspension setting ready, on the start line I was in a gaggle of coupes, I made a food start pushing through the pack up to the first turn, the onto the first 2 right handers, the car felt so good, great power delivery and handling, First time since having confidence in the car since 2013. I continued to pick my way trough the crowd and past the finish line bagging 6th place and 5 in class. Best time was 1.38.2

So still a lot of work, more seat time is required a lot more, but I was happy with that result considering the circumstances of not testing the car.

Race 2

Again we was blessed with good weather, i started 6th on the grid next to Gareth's RAFs sponsored 206.

On the start line, watching the 30s board, 5s, red lights on... Red lights off... Revs up to 4k And BANG, the car jumps out of 1st gear. Disaster... I get swamped in coupes again, after making a quick recovery I soon started to pick my way up the pack.... Mid race The 206 was in my sights, I managed to gain on him in the Tarzan corner.... I was making good time and soon had Kev in his clio 200 and Mitch in my sights... 2 laps later they was in arms reach, but soon ran out of time.... Flag dropped and end of race.

I finished 5th and 4 in class best time 1.37.3 only 3.9s away from race leader.

Hats off to Russ and Simon (Saxo) for the monumental battle... A lot to aspire to.

Battle damage from today was a osf bent bumper bracket, So thats going to go.

Another problem was the rev limiter as it kept kicking in, got Chris at Efiparts working on it at the moment, but I cant tell you how annoying it is..

An enjoyable first race of the season, roll on Brands next month

Sonny

Last edited:

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Good to see the season underway and good fun being had again!

Didn't realise you'd bought James' old engine. I am heading upto Mark (Northloopcup's) to sort my RC kit this weekend. Much excite!

Post race inspection "Battle casualty report".

Finished work this morning so thought I would take advantage of the nice weather and do a post race check on the Clio.

So I popped her up on axle stands and started the check, first thing I noticed was the driver side inner driveshaft boot had started to weep, I suffered from this problem last season with the original DS, im convinced its the heat from the 182 manifold as the 182 DS have a different end, contains the cv boot thus protecting it a little (just a theory)... On further inspection the outer CV ring has split too (another great CS purchase).

7838bf9350cd7029e8ab44fee55a2d71.jpg

So I cleaned it up and popped on a spare uprated Jubilee clip that I keep in the spare box. Anyone think its too wide?
064cca50e468229fe7e80ea8676eed82.jpg

So next is to sort out the inner joint, Any recommendations? In the past I have used those tension clips but they still keep weeping.

Inner CV boot

bc578f8e68b49652f92e2d6a8bd35eb0.jpg

Moving on, next was a close one, noticed that the V belt has jumped 3 teeth, odd, then noticed that the alternator tensioner bolt had snapped, not sure what caused that, the 13mm bolt that retains the tensioner had gone so I'm guessing that had worked its way loose and put tension on the tensioner (so not really a good tensioner then lol)

2fcfcbc42abfcbe99cbb3e73c65ec48b.jpg

f68145406093ae2118c84d71f6045f18.jpg

282e01fa6308c2da334efe41a6146df5.jpg

So more parts to order...

Next was the front pads, looks like my DS1.11 have finally started to give in even though they felt great. Typical Ferodo trait... Crumbling. Not bad seeing as they had covered 6 races and a test day.

7e90776c1ff4c27ea470d5b89687a5a7.jpg

da7c492d11799d81b30a40e94869fa8b.jpg

I really rate these pads, but do fancy trying a different brand.

Well thats that, too hot outside, cuppa on the go, pt 2 of the post race report will continue tomorrow.

Sonny

Those tensioner nuts are prone to coming loose on the cup setup, it used to happen to me all the time so I started using an extra locknut to stop it coming loose.

Shame about the pads as there is loads of meat left on them. Most race pads seem to crumble at the edges but that is quite bad.

clio cup
Word of warning David, yours is also a Renault so should think about not pushing too hard yourself, I've re badged mine with a German marque but still Clio shaped, I'll be alright!

May 2015 update:

Conducted a Test day today at Brands ahead of tomorrows race there.

Some of you may remember the rev limit problem I had on the Gen90 ECU, last week the car went back on to the Dyno at HR Racing to run the car in the problem area, the logs was then set to Shaun at Ktec and Chris at EFI parts, it was diagnosed finally as a early ECU and a common fault, the solution was to fit a 1k resistor in wires 24 and 54 of the ECU (the CPS wires) this apparently solves the problem at high rpm, basically the ecu was cutting the fuel due to thinking it was revving 8500rpm! Which shouldn't be the case.

So today I tried to keep an eye on the rev limier while on the test day to check to see if the problem had been solved, I couldn't actually work out if the needle was reading the target area, but most certainly felt like it had cured the problem. Will shall find out for sure tomorrow.

In other news I had changed the layout of my VBOX to incorporate a rev counter, after speaking to RaceLogic I manage to get the 172 files for the CAN bus, so today I loaded up the vbox with the updates software.... All good... Until I noticed I had no dash panel, no tachmeter, speedo or temp gauge.. Hmmmm so thinking it was the UCH that had taken a knock i check all the connections, all ok, so unplugged the racelogic CAN lead and all worked fine.. So while at Brands I emailed Jon at Racelogic to solve the issue, not having my laptop at Brands I was very limited to what I could do, back home now iv managed to adjust the settings, apparently my "baud rate" was set wrong... So, tomorrow We shall upload the vbox again with with updated settings.

So this is why we do test days lol.... Always some drama.

afbb82cf886a486c6e0dbb7083818ac6.jpg

Really looking forward to Brads tomorrow, if any of you are free pop down and say hi.