ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

Renault clio mk1 172
Small update, finally installed my DRE Shift light, took me a year to pull my finger out. Simple to install and set up, not tested it yet. Not bad for £80

5923A0AB-F644-4549-93CB-5D7D66F112F9_zpsirdrfe7b.jpg

033BF7F4-5D1E-4571-8175-D3BF7939B5C9_zpstp34esof.jpg

Bright little bugger, had to turn the brightness down to the lowest setting.

7F84C17D-FFCB-4CEC-9542-507E94C67E85_zpsabrtojdf.jpg

Where should the tacho signal (green wire) connet please?

Renault clio mk1 172
It connects to one of the three pins on the ignition coil plug. Think it was the outer pin of the three. If it don't work just try the pin next to it. (Im away from car so cant check it).

Thank You very much Sonny, could you please check the pin for me when you are with your car? Because I do wish to install a bigger tachometer that with shift light for my 172. Thank You!!!!

Update: Spax suspension.

So, I received the rear replacement suspension from Spax this week, unfortunately, according to Spax, the unit I had sent off to be replaced was "damaged" due to my action and not theirs, so this meant that my warranty was voided. The "engineer" who I spoke to who inspected my rear strut(s) says that a small nick/cut in the rod had caused the valve to wear and lose pressure/oil. I didn't recall seeing any damage to the part that could be caused by myself, but couldn't prove otherwise.
Spax had however offered to replace i with a newer uprated unit if I purchased one side, so I basically got the rear units for half price, so I decided to take the hit.

The new "uprated race" units do look different with a different top hat and lowering shims, also they have been re-valved to suit more stiffer spring rates (around 500lb). The rods seem thicker with beefier top mount bolts with larger bump stop and a dust cover. Maybe if they had these fitted before then this problem would never had happened.

These are designed to be used without helper springs, if using the original 10" springs. I use shorter springs and prefare to use helper springs to make life easier.

F3E74AA8-4DF7-4922-B6D2-1FA7FA6A9543_zpssagkcgwm.jpg

B12C8A63-CF16-47D6-9178-BD12916D26BD_zpshztthe80.jpg

Fitted them to the car already in time for this weekends race at Castle Combe.

p.s anyone taking corner weights machine?

I saw someone corner weight an old kit car with a set of 150kg tesco value bathroom scales a few years ago.

You would need to double up on the front end and use 2 scales per wheel for a clio because 300kg wont be enough for the front end, but they were only about a fiver each!

Yep iv seen ppl do that too, even with digital scales. But i have seen some right horrors too where the ground is no where near level. I do have a spread sheet that gives you the cross weight if you do you use scales, so I actually did consider this My biggest problem is finding level ground, as my drive is on a slope and my garage is to small to work on the slope, i would be using a hell of a lot of tiles to bring the datum up to level.

Engine oil and filter changed, new gear box oil in, front camber checked ( was slightly out) and a general inspection on the car today. Will load up and leave for Castle Combe tomorrow, aim to get to the track for around 4-5pm.

Going to play about with the Vbox camera location tomorrow, going to move the main cam more forward, possible mount on the A-pillar roll cage frame.

Going to be a busy grid with around 37 cars including the Nippon and MR2 guys, so will be interesting.

Finally got the new rear suspension on the car with "new rear ride height" from Spax (long story wont go over it again) and also adjusted the front camber in the Paddock (was miles out) the night before, didn't manage to have time to corner weight the car or do a toe alignment (used a long spirit level and a finger lol), so was pretty much going out on track blind...for once the car handled like a dream and put my confidence back into the car. At Rockingham last month it was diabolical, due to a later discovered blown shock absorber.

I also changed the camera position, think that looks better, the driver cam I will raise up a bit so its more shoulder height, I was having recording problems that day, the quali session didnt record due to a SD card error.

Race 1

Applied to much threshold breaking while going into Camp corner in Lap 3 resulting i the power band dropping below the torque curve, quick flick into 3rd to recover....that mistake cost me a place, took me half the race to recover position from the Pug 306 , but was so much fun...good driving

Race 2

Had problems getting off the line, tried to experiment trying a different RMP standing start that failed and lost 2 places, again to the Pug and to the Scooby (KPR), I manage to overtake the scooby on the outside of Quarry, and then tried to regain 3rd in Class position off the Pug....had a little off at the Esses, was too busy watching Dave and the Pug playing, missed breaking point Doh I was much faster in the 2nd race (as was everyone else), until the red lights/flags was waved to signal race stopped. I assumed it was a restart then the ambulance pulled out in front of me...not good. Went back round to the start line and saw the poor Nippon car on its roof, so glad the driver was ok. With that Nippon car and Tonys engine/box going bang, it puts a downer on the day. At least we can all fight another battle in one piece ;)

What an awesome days racing, roll on Donny :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  clio cup
You've got to be very unlucky to land a car on its roof that hard!
Although the cage collapsed you can see how easy it is to have an accident like that at what was relatively low speed by the point of contact with the tyres.
A trackday car without a cage and don't think you'd be winning any beauty contests!
Glad he climbed out in his own and is ok.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Ouch, that looked nasty!

Looked to be totally put off by the blue flag a few moments earlier.

Clio.
Ouch, that looked nasty!

Looked to be totally put off by the blue flag a few moments earlier.

.....there red were blue flags (waved and stationary) for nearly two laps.
The thing is, with mixed classes you really need your senses about you as the speed differential with some of these cars is massive.
Glad to see the driver get out safely, he's going to be a bit sore today I guess.

Last edited:
  172 cup, Impreza P1
I'm not 100% the cage folded, it looked like it might have moved down in one piece i.e the floor gave way.

Nah, the door bar is in the same position and the angle of the bend has increased by about 20deg. It definitely folded.

Car does look awesome!

Out of interest, did you fit your plastic windows yourself? Trying to hatch a plan with what to do with mine.

Yes I did, rear sides was bolted in so I could easily take them out if I crumple the car, the side windows have since been replaced with a different brand, they came with the Kevlar doors (ex race car) the rear poly window came with the GRP tailgate that was from a ex VLN race car (still has H&R sponsor plate on). I purchased them from ACW plastics, nice chap who will give a Cliosport discount