ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Re: sonny172cup "track racer project"

To be fair guys, I dont think I will push it to make another race this year, car will retire for the winter to undergo the box repair and minor mods. Also give me time to save up a racing slush fund.

I have also been thinking about adding a second colour to the Blue wrap, thinking about adding white mirror caps, roof vent, brake dusts and side sills.. Think the white will compliment the white wheels...What ya reckon?

Yellow? Don't go orange looks so old fashioned

clio cup

Purple would look good I reckon Sonny,,, you need some brightness! another pastel colour and you will be inviting Lawrence Lewelling Bowen to the races, lol

WRX

85489D11-FF46-4E2F-9732-D2B904790ADB-11696-00000CCDD2B31ECC_zpsc722b1ae.gif

Racing license renewed for 2014, renewed it online £60

2014 TARC membership and race free paid.

The TARC race calendar has been released, 4 of the races clash with my work, so will have to endevour to get cover to get to all 7 race meetings.

In regards to the car, not much has happened since Donny in October, its been cleaned and started up a few times and tha'ts about it....need to pull my finger out and crack on with a few minor jobs as follows

Gearbox inspection with closer 5th
Pedal floor panel
New front brake pads (DS3000)
Hardwire Gopro in
Rear inside panels (smarten up)
Purchase and fit transponder
Full fluid change
New tyres (R888)
Up-rated cams with a new remap

With the cost of the race fees going up, looks like im on a tight budget this year if I want to make all the meetings.

Will start work on the car in mid Jan, more updates to follow.

Merry Christmas guys :)

Took advantage of a break in the weather this week and removed the gearbox from the car. I decided to lift engine and take box out rather than dropping the sub-frame.

Dropped box off yesterday with Matt at CodeRed to inspect the box, as I couldn't select reverse gear due to me hitting a high rumble strip at Donington in last years Track Attack race. I am also having the closer ratio 5th gear added.

fcd7.jpg

Im getting good at this, not bad in under 4 hours and on my todd ;)

clio cup

Oh look! Progress! Nothing like that going on around here, lol,

Good going Sonny, now hurry up and get it back together for some testing

LOL, yep finally pulled my finger out. Looking forward to doing a "test" day actually, prob be at brands, but time is getting tight now.

Still need to install 438 cams and a new map along with a few other "bits".

Hows your car coming along Dave?

182cup & 172 racecar

I got a message today to say, all my bit's and bob's have finally arrived for the rebuild. :)

clio cup

LOL, yep finally pulled my finger out. Looking forward to doing a "test" day actually, prob be at brands, but time is getting tight now.

Still need to install 438 cams and a new map along with a few other "bits".

Hows your car coming along Dave?

Its still on stands waiting for the AST's which should be here tommorrow, ECU and throttle bodies are on hold for now as we cant settle on a date for development as they will need the car for 4 weeks,
I need to get some set up done with the new suspension so may well miss the Rockingham test and get them to do the work from the first week in March, ready for race day at Rockingham

Its still on stands waiting for the AST's which should be here tommorrow, ECU and throttle bodies are on hold for now as we cant settle on a date for development as they will need the car for 4 weeks,
I need to get some set up done with the new suspension so may well miss the Rockingham test and get them to do the work from the first week in March, ready for race day at Rockingham

That may be a good thing, as you can use the new AST's as a bench mark to see how much your lap times improve before adding any engine performce

AST's are on my list for next year

182cup & 172 racecar

No, engine had been down on compression for most of the year, very low on one cylinder.
It had had a massive overfueling map on it, which didn't help.
So pistons crank and rings all being replaced.

While the gear box is still away I thought I would remove the clutch and flywheel to inspect an oil leak suspected coming from the crank oil seal, it was confirmed to be that, also think it maybe weeping from the sump gasket too, odd as this was new in October (I also used the bond at the correct joins) So will take off and double check and renew with a new gasket. I hope its not sump related, remember the drama Iceman had with is!

Crank seal will go in this week, trying to work on the car before I start my night shift.

In this pic you can see the oil higher up, almost like its come from the head (its not as I have checked) strange.

Currently clean the area up so will inspect in the morning. Thankfully the clutch and flywheel does not appear to be contaminated

Last edited:
  clio cup
Sonny. Have you checked the gasket on the thermostat housing as there is an oil passage inside which can drop oil down the back of the bell housing,

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
worth re-sealing the bearing cap while you're there as thats the most likely source of the leak

worth re-sealing the bearing cap while you're there as thats the most likely source of the leak

Does this involve extracting the bearing cap (special tool needed?), cleaning, refitting and then using the injection bond (Mastixo) or will it be ok to leave it in situ and smear bond around the joins after giving them a clean?, the engine will be kept in the car, so the first option might need the engine removing.